(OT) Jerry Sullivan...

Spun

Usually I disagree with Sullivan but I have to raise my glass to his calling out Sabres management for it's minimal response to upgrade the roster...

I like some of the prospects such as Vanek and Roy but should Regier be doing more? Is waiting until next years free agents become available good enough?

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20050823/1059037.asp

Usually I disagree with Sullivan but I have to raise my glass to his calling out Sabres management for it's minimal response to upgrade the roster...

I like some of the prospects such as Vanek and Roy but should Regier be doing more?  Is waiting until next years free agents become available good enough?

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20050823/1059037.asp

415752[/snapback]

Jerry is 100% correct here. The new rules will favor offense and we really needed Satan this year and we chose not to keep him. That signaled to me that we weren't going to be serious and contend this year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1047009.asp

Sullivan should read his own paper. There was a story in Sunday's edition that said the Sabres have a bad reputation among NHL players, thanks to their treatment of Hasek, Peca, Andrychuk, and Lafontaine. Further, it seems most NHL insiders consider Regier, Quinn, and Ruff a pack of a--holes.

If this is true, it's no wonder the Sables haven't signed anyone...noone wants to play for them!

PTR

I've noticed that everyone thought that the Sabres were going to be able to contend with the league now that there is a salary cap.

The problem is that the Sabres claimed they were losing money when they had a payroll in the mid 30s. If the Sabres come close to 35-38 million for their payroll this year I will be shocked.

They will spend 25-28 million and try to contend as a 2nd tier team. They will continue trying to work with promising young players, that is until those promising players become vets , then they'll be traded away.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1047009.asp

Sullivan should read his own paper.  There was a story in Sunday's edition that said the Sabres have a bad reputation among NHL players, thanks to their treatment of Hasek, Peca, Andrychuk, and Lafontaine.  Further, it seems most NHL insiders consider Regier, Quinn, and Ruff a pack of a--holes.

If this is true, it's no wonder the Sables haven't signed anyone...noone wants to play for them!

PTR

415844[/snapback]

He referenced sundays article in the first line of his column basically stating that it was the reason he was writing THIS column :devil:

This article is right on. It's too bad really; the sabres have NOT figured out how to put fans in the seats. I was not looking for the sabres to go out and sign 5 big name free agents, But I figured they would at least go out and sign someone; someone; me as a hockey fan would want to pay money to go see. Who is the "draw" right now....NOBODY.

I for one will be saving my money and not spending a dime on the sabres. I am tired of waiting until next year; when they start to figure out how to run a hockey team then I'll start going again but I supect I won't have to worry about that for a long time; if ever.

is there anyone who is really surprised by this? darcy and co. were already proven MASTERS at sitting there with there thumbs up each others asses when it was time to improve the roster...nothing is going to change until he(along with quinn) is run out of town. the only real question is whether golisano is smart enough to do it. i am not holding my breath.

I gotta say I see no reason to come back to Sabre hockey. Same 2 guys in charge, 2 best players gone, no effort to win, and it is still an expensive ticket. Look at the small market clubs that are trying to make a play for winning. Look at the Penguins and all the playesr they have signed to be around Crosby. Right now the Sabre payroll is about 2/3 what it would have been in 2004, and they do nothing. Golisano is a joke, kiss my A$$

is there anyone who is really surprised by this?  darcy and co. were already proven MASTERS at sitting there with there thumbs up each others asses when it was time to improve the roster...nothing is going to change until he(along with quinn) is run out of town.  the only real question is whether golisano is smart enough to do it.  i am not holding my breath.

416039[/snapback]

And there are people here who think Golisano will be the Bills' savior once Ralph goes to the big football game in the sky.... More like, he'll run the team into the ground by just maintaining the status quo like he's doing now with the Sabres.

And there are people here who think Golisano will be the Bills' savior once Ralph goes to the big football game in the sky.... More like, he'll run the team into the ground by just maintaining the status quo like he's doing now with the Sabres.

416095[/snapback]

Training camp hasn't even started--and the salary cap trading frenzy's just getting underway--and we're getting ****-assed comments like this about BTG. Golisano's one of the sharpest businessmen in upstate NY, but hey, he didn't sign some over-the-hill UFA's to stupid money so his plan must be to run the team into the ground...and BTW, he' got his eye on doing the same to the Bills someday down the road????

The "caption the photo" dude has more sense than that.... :devil::blush:

I gotta say I see no reason to come back to Sabre hockey.  Same 2 guys in charge, 2 best players gone, no effort to win, and it is still an expensive ticket.  Look at the small market clubs that are trying to make a play for winning.  Look at the Penguins and all the playesr they have signed to be around Crosby.  Right now the Sabre payroll is about 2/3 what it would have been in 2004, and they do nothing.  Golisano is a joke, kiss my A$$

416089[/snapback]

I wouldnt use the Pens as the example...you can bet your bottom dollar if the Sabres landed Crosby, the Sabres would have been much more aggressive in the FA market.

I don't think that I would criticize Golisano yet. I'm sure that he is taking advice from Quinn & Regier about the best way to approach free agency.

Quinn & Regier are going to look like geniuses or total idiots in a few months when teams are up against the salary cap. Today's News mentioned the possible availability of Wade Redden. I would rather spend my money on Wade Redden or another good young defenseman than throw money at Brian Leetch.

I just worry at what Regier may use as trade bait. Biron would be expendable, but I would hate to trade a young forward unless someone wants Connelly.

The only way the Sabres organization gets better is when Regier, Quinn and Ruff are gone. Until then not much is going to change I'm afraid. Quinn ran the organization into the ground once before and he'll do it again. Regeir has no clue about how to build a team. He makes a trade or two that work for a time, but he doesn't appear to know much about chemistry or team. And Ruff is a good coach, but if the NHL is truly going to open up the game he is going to have to do an almost 180 in his coaching philosophy. Add on top of this the perceived notion that Buffalo isn't a good hockey organization and forget about it.

I despise Regier, Ruff and Quinn. A trio of bigger a-holes you could not come up with if you looked for 50 years. I just don't understand why the billionaire owner has kept very quiet.

The Sullivan article stated that the Sabres are at $24.5 million (not including Ryan Miller and McKee). They claim the budget is $28-$29 million. That would leave, even to us that can't add with a calculator, about $3 million to spend (after McKee and Miller sign) on a quality player that will help the team and give the organization some credibility among the fans (those of us that are left). Sullivan hit it right on the head when he said that the other small market teams below the Sabres have now either caught up or passed them.

Regier and company can't be telling the fans that they will not sign a quality player if that means pushing the payroll to $29.5 or $30 million, can they? The owner is a BILLIONAIRE. He loses more in his couch cushions then on the Sabres. Sabres are still just a very big joke and will be until there is new management in here.