Maybe I am the only one...

sven233

Hey guys, I just got back from the game and I have been reading the posts here and I agree with many of your observations. However, the one thing that has not been brought up is our run blocking.

JP played really well tonight and really, the enitere team played well. However, I have 1 concern....our run blocking.

Watching the scrimmage, the 1st preseason game, and now tonight........I really don't think our run blocking is where I hoped it would be. There seems to be a great lack of push from the O-Line. McGahee and the other backs seem to be doing most of the work and are making there own yards from what I see. I haven't seen holes being opened (at least by the starting O-Line). Lots of bounces to the outside and extra effort from the backs.

Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but if you are watching closely, during the scrimmage and tonight, there were a lot of times where our O-Line didn't get any push and our backs are stuffed. I know it is only preseason, and we may be running a vanilla offense so far, but still.......when it is time to get that yard or 2, I want to see these guys mucle up and push someone off the ball. We haven't seen that yet. But, the backs are running the ball and McGahee is averaging 4 ypc. Overall good......but I need to see that PUSH for that 1 yard TD so we don't get Losman killed because we can't punch it in in the first 3 downs.......

As for my other observations from tonight......not too much stood out. Probably because EVERYONE played well! Great Game!

Hey guys, I just got back from the game and I have been reading the posts here and I agree with many of your observations.  However, the one thing that has not been brought up is our run blocking. 

JP played really well tonight and really, the enitere team played well.  However, I have 1 concern....our run blocking.

Watching the scrimmage, the 1st preseason game, and now tonight........I really don't think our run blocking is where I hoped it would be.  There seems to be a great lack of push from the O-Line.  McGahee and the other backs seem to be doing most of the work and are making there own yards from what I see.  I haven't seen holes being opened (at least by the starting O-Line).  Lots of bounces to the outside and extra effort from the backs.

Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but if you are watching closely, during the scrimmage and tonight, there were a lot of times where our O-Line didn't get any push and our backs are stuffed.  I know it is only preseason, and we may be running a vanilla offense so far, but still.......when it is time to get that yard or 2, I want to see these guys mucle up and push someone off the ball.  We haven't seen that yet.  But, the backs are running the ball and McGahee is averaging 4 ypc.  Overall good......but I need to see that PUSH for that 1 yard TD so we don't get Losman killed because we can't punch it in in the first 3 downs.......

As for my other observations from tonight......not too much stood out.  Probably because EVERYONE played well!  Great Game!

413486[/snapback]

No. I noticed that last year. Willis had to work extra hard to get yards on his own. Nothing's changed, sadly. :angry:

Let's hope they can really improve into the regular season so we won't see Willis punishing his body to gain 3 yards. :P

With run blocking results tend to improve as the game progresses as the O-linemen wear down the D-line. With pre-season you don't see this due to the mass of substitutions as the coaches of both lines like to see how their reserves look. Without seeing them all play a full game it is hard to make any real conclusions at this point. Can not say there is no problem, but it is not something that realy can be shown as a major problem at this stage of pre-season.

i have been thinking that Bennie Anderson has been very unimpressive.  Not awful.....just not impressive.

413559[/snapback]

That's why he's not in Raven land anymore.

I don't think we did enough this off season to improve our offensive line.

Hey guys, I just got back from the game and I have been reading the posts here and I agree with many of your observations.  However, the one thing that has not been brought up is our run blocking. 

JP played really well tonight and really, the enitere team played well.  However, I have 1 concern....our run blocking.

Watching the scrimmage, the 1st preseason game, and now tonight........I really don't think our run blocking is where I hoped it would be.  There seems to be a great lack of push from the O-Line.  McGahee and the other backs seem to be doing most of the work and are making there own yards from what I see.  I haven't seen holes being opened (at least by the starting O-Line).  Lots of bounces to the outside and extra effort from the backs.

Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but if you are watching closely, during the scrimmage and tonight, there were a lot of times where our O-Line didn't get any push and our backs are stuffed.  I know it is only preseason, and we may be running a vanilla offense so far, but still.......when it is time to get that yard or 2, I want to see these guys mucle up and push someone off the ball.  We haven't seen that yet.  But, the backs are running the ball and McGahee is averaging 4 ypc.  Overall good......but I need to see that PUSH for that 1 yard TD so we don't get Losman killed because we can't punch it in in the first 3 downs.......

As for my other observations from tonight......not too much stood out.  Probably because EVERYONE played well!  Great Game!

413486[/snapback]

I agree 100%. The only negative I took out of the game at all was our o-line. I don't think they blocked very well at all both for the run and the pass. The RB's had little room, except for efforts they made on their own, and the QB's didn't exactly get to sit there in the pocket.

We have a good team. Our line, IMO, is slightly below average at this point,.

I agree that the o-line run blocking has been not very impressive. That being said, remember this is a new line using the preseason to get in sync. I think Gandy is playing as good or better than we could expect. Anderson is doing ok at L guard which is better than we had there all last year. The fact that he isn't a turnstile and isn't committing a lot of penalties is a definite plus.

I'd like to see some blocking improvement and I think we will. I'm quietly satisfied that this line is not the disaster is had the potential to be. They are a better unit now than they were at the same time last year and I think has the potential to be above average.

If they start opening holes, McGahee is going to be a monster when he doesn't have to do all the work himself.

RTB

The only negative I took out of the game at all was our o-line. 

413688[/snapback]

Yes, but with the run blocking there wasn't much going on. It was mostly hat on hat blocking and I don't think I saw any pulling. It will look much different when they are actually game planning.

I'm hoping that the run blocking will simply improve as a function of time. Listen, in two games and a scrimmage, our pass protection is better than it was at any point last year. Run blocking will improve with more practice time and as the 5 starters gel together. Plus, willis was in for like a quarter, and the gameplanning was all over the place to evaluate talent. Yes, it is slightly concerning that willis didn't run for 6ypc, but they were able to convert 3rd downs, and gave up virtually no loss of yards plays. 2 rushing tds (i don't count the losman scramble, cause it was a broken down pass play). If they fall apart next weekend, then i'll be concerned, but unless we start losing to houston, tampa, and atlanta, i won't lose sleep over it.

I'm hoping that the run blocking will simply improve as a function of time.

413773[/snapback]

I'd expect so. The things folks are mentioning here about run blocking could also apply to the two B'gals pre-season games I've watched.

As I understand it, it's the 3rd ps game that is used to evaluate and firm up the starting linup, the 4th game being sort of a "final cut decision" affair.