Camp Report 8/17 morning

rockpile

I got off to a slow start today and arrived just as they were finishing their warm-ups and stretches. The practice was mostly on the farthest grass field, which was both good and bad. The good part was that it is on a hill in the shade, and you are not looking into the sun. The bad part was that there were a TON of people there today – and nowhere for most to sit. I was content to park it on the grassy knoll.

OK, enough atmosphere. :D

Special teams got a nice workout with ReShard Lee, Joe Burns, Lionel Gates, and Terrence McGee getting most of the action. On one catch, “ZZ Gates” was sprinting one direction, caught the ball, stopped dead kicking up a cloud of dust, and reversed course sprinting all the way. Pure poetry!

On the seven on seven drills:

JP looked sharp and his receivers made him look better. Evans caught a very nice high finger-tip pass. Moulds caught a diving TD, which had the crowd applauding. I have to note that the coverage was quite good – JP was putting it in places where only the WR could make the grab. George Wilson learned the finesse of Terrence McGee as #24 reached in and snatched the ball out of his hands for an incompletion. He jogged back to the huddle looking at his hands in disbelief.

Holcomb was very good too, hitting Aiken (covered by King), Aiken again (covered by Crowell) and Cieslak (a broken play that would have been a sack). It seemed that Holcomb was working more on the short passing game, as was Matthews.

Matthews hit Evans on a crossing pattern when McGee was covering him like glue, but Evans made a great leap to pull in the ball. McGee got even again very quickly – batting down a ball intended for Aiken.

Working with Matthews, I saw a lot of play action with Burns in motion, picking up zone type coverage and Moulds sneaking across the middle to make an easy catch in man coverage.

On the eleven on eleven drills:

JP started off with a nice long ball to the EZ corner that Evans could not quite get to; he may have had his progress “impeded” a little by McGee. 0:) Nate Clements had an excellent block on a pass to Aiken.

Mike Williams was pulling in different scenarios to run and pass block. He seems much faster than last year. I wish I spent more time watching the OL but the WRS kept distracting me! :lol:

Holcomb threw a nice pass into coverage that Haddad had to dive to catch, but again it was the only open seam. Haddad did it again, beating Oglesby.

In general:

Joe Burns did a good job picking up the pass rush, pretty consistently.

Matthews and Holcomb are excellent backups and mentors to JP.

At the end of the morning, Holcomb was running the two minute drill. Greer was burned twice, then our unsung CB Coy Wire stepped in front of a receiver and took the INT in for a score. It was across the field and I missed the intended target's number

There was a LOT more going on, but it is too fast to get it all. <_<

Back to camp now for the PM.

Oh great - now the gates have been cracked open for a deluge of hopeful "Coy Wire is an All-Pro" rants from the CWACs <_<

0:)

Nice report anyway - Thanks

yeah he did.  I can't believe Rockpile missed that.  <_<

:D

410059[/snapback]

That can't be true. Didn't you hear that he suffered a season-ending injury and he's only dressing for practice in order to sell season tickets? 0:)

At the end of the morning, Holcomb was running the two minute drill. Greer was burned twice, then our unsung CB Coy Wire stepped in front of a receiver and took the INT in for a score. It was across the field and I missed the intended target's number

410038[/snapback]

Did he really step in front of the WR or was the WR running a crossing pattern, went to run behind Wire and the ball hit him in the chest, as he was pondering what bad angle he was going to take next? <_<0:)