8/15 Camp report

rockpile

I arrived tonight about an hour before camp started. As I approached the entrance a man asked if I was going in alone. I said yes, and he gave me an extra pass he had to the VIP tent. This was the first time I ever got out of the white trash section. :lol:

There was food and drink in mass quantitiy.

Since I thought I would be in the stadium, I did not take my digital - BIG mistake. :)

I stood next to the entrance and saw TKO, JP, Milloy, Sape, and dozens of others up close. I congratulated Sape on his TD. I said hello to a few others. It was a gas! I was like 10 feet away from the players. I watched practice from the upper white tent balcony.

As they signed autographs in the far corner before practice began, I consumed mass quantities of free Blue, so this will NOT be an analytical camp report. :)

Observations:

Lindell is a lock at kicker. He consistently hit the FG at ranges starting at 30 and going out to 45 yards. Baker is good enough to be in this league though.

I took a leak with Jon Dorenbos. He pees real good. :lol:

Shaud Williams seemed to be tonight's featured RB. Joe Burns saw a lot of action. ZZ Gates was under utilized.

QBs seem to be JP, Holcomb, and Matthews - time to say seeya to Woodbury and Thompson.

Fast Freddy Smith stone handed a pass; it just dropped from his hands. Drew Haddad looked very good.

JP is not perfect but he has the potential for brilliance.

I managed to get autographs from JP, Mark Campbell, Duke Preston, Ryan Neufeld, London Fletcher, and Tim Euhus.

Senor Rubeo was there, so I expect a better report from him. :doh: I think Lori was there too.

I still like the combo of Gandy and Anderson.

I have to say it was a splendid evening for football! :lol:

Senor Rubeo was there, so I expect a better report from him.  :doh:  I think Lori was there too.

408451[/snapback]

I sat with Lori & #89, and my son Ben.

My observations:

Willis watched the entire practice. He was in pads but saw no action - not even stretching.

Eric King had a nice pick.

They worked on no-huddle quite a bit. All the QBs were sprinting out - this is going to be a feature of this new offense big time.

Saw some interesting defensive formations: George Gause as OLB and Posey with his hand down as DE. Kelsay moved inside to DT (a la Phil Hansen) in some passing situations. The D was still blitzing like crazy - I think part of it is to get Losman prepared for it. Ryan Denney came up with a tackle very far away from his DE spot - must've been quite the zone blitz.

There was quite a bit of kickoff work. Most kicks hit at around the 10. Baker would've had one go OOB but it was fielded anyway. Lindell did make all of his FG tries including a 49 1/2 yarder. Duke Preston was long-snapping and dribbled one to Moorman exactly like the one in the game. Are they trying to get rid of Dorenbos?

Ben Sobieski, Kevin Thomas, and Kevin Everett were all in attendance. Parrish & Lawrence Smith were not.

I arrived tonight about an hour before camp started. As I approached the entrance a man asked if I was going in alone. I said yes, and he gave me an extra  pass he had to the VIP tent. This was the first time I ever got out of the white trash section.  :doh:

There was food and drink in mass quantitiy.

Since I thought I would be in the stadium, I did not take my digital - BIG mistake.  :) 

408451[/snapback]

Aren't you allowed to bring a camera in the studium???

I took a leak with Jon Dorenbos. He pees real good. :doh:

Rock, you're lucky he didn't make your unit disappear....he is the magic man after all. :)

Thanks for the report. Glad you got to hang where you belong--with the upper crust...

I'm so jealous you got to be in the VIP tent! I didn't even get to sit at the practice, and half my pictures were shot because people kept walking in front of me... and the security dude wouldn't let me kneel near the handicap section, even if only for a little bit. It sat wide open for most of the practice, until a woman with a stroller came and sat down at it.

I thought all the quarterbacks sucked last night. they each had one or two passes that looked good (Like JP threw a crazy long pass to evans that was in the endzone among a few others) but overall they looked pretty bad. In fact, the whole offense seemed out of it. Alot of dropped balls, bad blocking, receivers slipping while running their routes, etc. I wasn't impressed.

I was impressed with Lindell however. I am NOT a fan of his... and he looked pretty good. Made all his FGs... though I really thought his long was close to 52 (or that's what my bro said... I'm horrible with FG distances...) but still... looked good. So did his kick offs.

It took me awhile to realize McGahee wasn't playing. It makes me a little nervous... but Shaud was really good last night, one of the few bright spots in the offense in my opinion. He's going to be a great back up for Willis. I'm really starting to like him.

Aren't you allowed to bring a camera in the studium???

408466[/snapback]

My camera only has a 2X zoom, which generally makes for rather average pictures, when you are 25 yards away from the players. I had no reason to believe I would be in the VIP tent, with the starters right next to us. :doh:

This is the only practice where I did not have my camera <sigh>.

Smuggass

408495[/snapback]

I have been going to camp frequently since they started having practice at Fisher. Last night was my 8th practice this year.

This is the 1st time I was ever IN the VIP tent.

I can be a smuggas if I want. :)

Wednesday and next Monday night I will be back in the white trash section. :doh::lol:

I took a leak with Jon Dorenbos. He pees real good.  :)

408451[/snapback]

Oh, now I can see why you regret not taking your camera... :doh:

As far as Dorenbos' future (as someone questioned), any time you can replace a 'specialty' position with a backup already on the roster, you do it so you can spend the roster position elsewhere. Besides that, the long snapper needs a backup too...plenty of reasons to try Preston at long snapper.

I have been going to camp frequently since they started having practice at Fisher. Last night was my 8th practice this year.

This is the 1st time I was ever IN the VIP tent.

I can be a smuggas if I want.  :)

Wednesday and next Monday night I will be back in the white trash section.  :doh:  :lol:

408522[/snapback]

Sorry, I was busting on Kelly.

My observations:

Willis watched the entire practice.  He was in pads but saw no action - not even stretching.

Correction - Willis was stretching on a limited basis .... on the 45 yd line next to JP.

My son & I made the 614 mile round trip trek yesterday & it was a blast. Well run & fun... More practice & stretching than 7 on 7's but it was all great to see.

I was impressed with Lindell however.  I am NOT a fan of his... and he looked pretty good.  Made all his FGs... though I really thought his long was close to 52 (or that's what my bro said... I'm horrible with FG distances...) but still... looked good.  So did his kick offs. 

Shaud was really good last night, one of the few bright spots in the offense in my opinion.  He's going to be a great back up for Willis.  I'm really starting to like him.

Agreed.... 52 yarder & Shaud is xlent!

As far as Dorenbos' future (as someone questioned), any time you can replace a 'specialty' position with a backup already on the roster, you do it so you can spend the roster position elsewhere.  Besides that, the long snapper needs a backup too...plenty of reasons to try Preston at long snapper.

408614[/snapback]

What he said. Nothing against Dorenbos as LS. It's just that it's all he does. You're tying up a roster spot for a guy who does one little thing.

What he said.  Nothing against Dorenbos as LS.  It's just that it's all he does.  You're tying up a roster spot for a guy who does one little thing.

408844[/snapback]

One little VERY IMPORTANT thing, as the busted FG attempts both Saturday and Monday nights proved. Could be the difference between winning and losing a game someday. Agreed, though - better to find out whether or not Preston can adequately back up Dorenbos now, than to have to go looking for a Bradford Banta-type at midseason.