Buffalo Sabres Free Agency Thread

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grrrrr.....

$25-million, five-year contract.  That's too rich.  The NHL owners have to be the stupidest in any pro sports league.

397184[/snapback]

...and the kicker is, it's the Penguins who have been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy for several years now. :blink:

In other words, are the Sabres being cheap this year ($28 million max) because they're thinking long-term? Or can we expect the Sabres to be cheap year in and year out?

397127[/snapback]

The thing is, the Sabres with Z and Satan are at around 20 to 22 million right now.

Yes, but couldn't the Sabres max out the cap this year at $39 million and still be in good shape for the future? I'm talking about giving 1 year deals to vet UFA's and multi-year deals weighted toward the 1st year.

397127[/snapback]

No can do under the CBA. If a deal was structured $5m, $3M, then $1M, $3M agaisnt cao all three years.

2/3 buyout no longer in effect. That was a one time shot this year to help teams get under the cap, and the ability to do so expired last Friday.

Two other points to make regarding salary. The average of the deal is what gets counted agaisn't the cap. For example, guy signs a three year deal for $9M with salaries of $2M, $3M, and $4m. $3M will be counted agaisn't the cap each of the three yrs.

Also, deals cannot be restructured and have an impact on the cap. So, I cannot go to a player making $3M, ask him to reduce his salary for this year to $2M, and add a year to his contract. His cap number will still be $3M.

396980[/snapback]

I THINK the buyout is part of the new CBA. Buyouts before last Friday did not count against your salary cap (they will in the future). I tried to verify it but I can't find the new CBA.

Has the league or the NHLPA released the CBA yet?

Grrrrr.....

$25-million, five-year contract.  That's too rich.  The NHL owners have to be the stupidest of any pro sports league.

397184[/snapback]

They will learn when they can only afford 8 skaters.

As Yogi Berra said "a nickle isn't worth a dime anymore."

...and the kicker is, it's the Penguins who have been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy for several years now. :blink:

397186[/snapback]

Oh but didn't you hear? They've been saved. For the third time in the last two decades.

I just hope that this turns out to be an example of the Sabres being able to sign some quality players after the initial rush by other teams to overspend.

We will be better able to evaluate what is happening in a couple of weeks. Nevertheless, as it stands now, we should not expect the Sabres to be any better than they were in the standings before the lockout. In my view, both Z and Satan are very well suited for the new rules. I can live with the loss of Satan, but the loss of Z really hurts. He eats up ice time and is very talented. We are not going to be able to replace him.

All the top line defensemen are gone except Brian Rafalski and Scott Niedermayer. Rafalski turned down a bunch of $3.5 million offers and Niedermayer will get $5-$6 million per season or more.

Penguins, in fact, have been saved again. Don't forget, Sidney Crosby can only make a maxium of $850,000 per year for 3 years and Mario Lemieux can pay himself whatever he wants, even the league minimum, if it helps the team. Penguins are well under the cap and have sold out the season already. That's how Pittsburgh can sign Gonchar for 5 million and just about anyone else that wants to go there.

Anyone confident in the Sabres chances with these 7 or 8 D-Men?

Jay McKee, Dimitri Kalinin, Rory Fitzpatrick, Henrik Tallinder, Brian Campbell, Jeff Jillson, Doug Janik and James Patrick (if he signs)

Following teams have not made any signings or trades since Monday afternoon

Anaheim, Buffalo, Colorado, Minnesota, NJ Devils, Ottawa, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Washington

I THINK the buyout is part of the new CBA.  Buyouts before last Friday did not count against your salary cap (they will in the future).  I tried to verify it but I can't find the new CBA.

Has the league or the NHLPA released the CBA yet?

397226[/snapback]

I am pretty confident that is not the case. However, there are some bonuses some guys can earn from the league, like Rookie of the year, goals in your first contract etc that do not hit your cap.

However, like I said before, you cannot even restructure a guy and take a lesser cap hit

Yep, it's been 3 days.  Definitely time to play the name calling AND panic cards.

397262[/snapback]

I'm not panicking or name calling, but in this era of the "level playing field" it is somewhat bothersome that the Sabres are cutting guys loose their top forward and top defenseman, but have done nothing on the signing front. Not even any rumors!

I guess only time will tell.

I'm not panicking or name calling, but in this era of the "level playing field" it is somewhat bothersome that the Sabres are cutting guys loose their top forward and top defenseman, but have done nothing on the signing front. Not even any rumors!

I guess only time will tell.

397363[/snapback]

Well, we've already proven we can lose with Zhitnik and Satan. Hard to see the harm in moving them.

I agree with your second statement and there's little doubt in my mind that the pack has already come back quite a bit.

Well, we've already proven we can lose with Zhitnik and Satan.  Hard to see the harm in moving them.

I agree with your second statement and there's little doubt in my mind that the pack has already come back quite a bit.

397369[/snapback]

I wonder if Darcy (evil twin brother of William H. Macy) learned any lessons watching the NFL with the season off on how to manage a salary cap. Those signing players for the big dollars may not be able to have three decent lines in two years.

All the top line defensemen are gone except Brian Rafalski and Scott Niedermayer. Rafalski turned down a bunch of $3.5 million offers and Niedermayer will get $5-$6 million per season or more.

Penguins, in fact, have been saved again. Don't forget, Sidney Crosby can only make a maxium of $850,000 per year for 3 years and Mario Lemieux can pay himself whatever he wants, even the league minimum, if it helps the team.  Penguins are well under the cap and have sold out the season already. That's how Pittsburgh can sign Gonchar for 5 million and just about anyone else that wants to go there.

Anyone confident in the Sabres chances with these 7 or 8 D-Men?

Jay McKee, Dimitri Kalinin, Rory Fitzpatrick, Henrik Tallinder, Brian Campbell, Jeff Jillson, Doug Janik and James Patrick (if he signs)

Following teams have not made any signings or trades since Monday afternoon

Anaheim, Buffalo, Colorado, Minnesota, NJ Devils, Ottawa, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Washington

397329[/snapback]

- Toronto signed Jason Allison but they haven't announced it yet according to Toronto radio yesterday.

- Toronto traded for Jeff O'Neil (although I don't remember if that was before Monday or not)

- San Jose has supposedly signed Paul Kariya.

- Minnesota signed Nazarov

Jay McKee, Dimitri Kalinin, Rory Fitzpatrick, Henrik Tallinder, Brian Campbell, Jeff Jillson.

I'd ok with these guys, but there's no one of interest to be the 7th or 8th.

We definitely need to sign one or two guys.

397467[/snapback]

It really would have been nice to go after a guy like Sopel. He wasn't that expensive, the guy is tough and he can score from time to time.

Jay McKee, Dimitri Kalinin, Rory Fitzpatrick, Henrik Tallinder, Brian Campbell, Jeff Jillson.

I'd ok with these guys, but there's no one of interest to be the 7th or 8th.

We definitely need to sign one or two guys.

397467[/snapback]

Don't forget we let Brad Brown walk too. Doug Janik is the only other guy in Roch that could be a 7th d-man on an NHL team. Unfortunately for the Sabres, Fitzpatrick, Tallinder, Campbell and Jillson are all 7th defensemen as well. So I guess we throw out Kalinin and McKee till they puke, then give em a 30 second break. That's this year, McKee will definitely bolt next year after Cheapskate Darcy found that $125K loophole.