Goin to N. Carolina

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Raleigh and then Charlotte for a few days in the middle of August. I know there are a bunch of people on the board that are from North Carolina - any thoughts on things to do, places we should definitely see, etc.?

(by the way, part of the reason we are going down there is bc we are thinking about moving - we want to see what our options are outside of Buffalo for obvious reasons.)

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Raleigh and then Charlotte for a few days in the middle of August.  I know there are a bunch of people on the board that are from North Carolina - any thoughts on things to do, places we should definitely see, etc.? 

(by the way, part of the reason we are going down there is bc we are thinking about moving - we want to see what our options are outside of Buffalo for obvious reasons.)

Thanks in advance!

392177[/snapback]

Visit Wrightsville, Carolina, or Kure Beach. About a 2 to 2.5 hour ride from Raliegh. There are hotels avalable right on the beach. Niceset beaches on the east coast, I think.

PTR

Go out in the country, pick a hicktown rib place, and taste some of the best ribs you've ever had.

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Raleigh and then Charlotte for a few days in the middle of August.  I know there are a bunch of people on the board that are from North Carolina - any thoughts on things to do, places we should definitely see, etc.? 

Thanks in advance!

392177[/snapback]

Thanks in advance!

392177[/snapback]

Do ya golf?

After living there for over six years, it's easier for me to tell you what you SHOULDN'T do.

- Don't eat grits. They taste like boiled popcorn.

- Don't talk. They'll hear you speaking regular English and automatically declare you a northern moron.

- Don't reference the Civil War, and if you do, reference it by it's proper name: The War of Northern Agression.

- Don't look for Southern Hospitality. You're not from the south, so you are a foreigner, and foreigners are not to be shown any form of southern hospitality.

- Don't drive in the rain. Stay off the roads. People from North Carolina can't drive to begin with, but throw a little water on the roads and you'd think it was a blizzard.

- Don't make fun of The Andy Griffith Show, or in any way, shape or form suggest that Mayberry is a fictional place. No one has told them yet and they seem at peace with it.

- Don't stand still if you hear banjo music.

- Don't leave for vacation without visiting your local dentist first to ensure everything is okay. There are no dentists in North Carolina and apparently all dental work is done by the local veterinarian.

- Don't wear anything other than Wrangler jeans as Levis are considered "high-falutin' cosmopolitian attire."

- Don't go. Just stay home. There's nothing to see there.

Thanks in advance!

392177[/snapback]

In Raleigh, try "Shrimp and Grits". Sounds strange, but it is yummy.

The best bars and places to eat are all around the same couple of blocks, off of Glennwood Ave, downtown. Any of these place are good: 42nd Street, Sullivan's, 511, South End Brewery, and Bogart's....

After living there for over six years, it's easier for me to tell you what you SHOULDN'T do.

- Don't talk. They'll hear you speaking regular English and automatically declare you a northern moron.

- Don't reference the Civil War, and if you do, reference it by it's proper name: The War of Northern Agression.

- Don't look for Southern Hospitality. You're not from the south, so you are a foreigner, and foreigners are not to be shown any form of southern hospitality.

- Don't drive in the rain. Stay off the roads. People from North Carolina can't drive to begin with, but throw a little water on the roads and you'd think it was a blizzard.

- Don't make fun of The Andy Griffith Show, or in any way, shape or form suggest that Mayberry is a fictional place. No one has told them yet and they seem at peace with it.

- Don't leave for vacation without visiting your local dentist first to ensure everything is okay. There are no dentists in North Carolina and apparently all dental work is done by the local veterinarian.

- Don't wear anything other than Wrangler jeans as Levis are considered "high-falutin' cosmopolitian attire."

392200[/snapback]

Why don't you tell me how you really feel?

J/K - thanks for the advice - I was hoping that North Carolina wasn't so South as to be "Deliverance" South. I guess maybe I was wrong.

J/K - thanks for the advice - I was hoping that North Carolina wasn't so South as to be "Deliverance" South.  I guess maybe I was wrong.

392207[/snapback]

Raleigh isn't like that at all. In Raleigh suburbs such as Cary, Apex and Holly Springs the majority of the population is probably from somehwere else other than the "deliverance" south. On my street everyone is from north of the Mason-Dixon line. This is a great place to live with plenty to do, you are about two hours from the beach and three hours from the mountains.

392200[/snapback]

hmmm, this sounds like anywhere thats more than 10 minutes outside of Tallahassee as well...

Raleigh isn't like that at all.  In Raleigh suburbs such as Cary, Apex and Holly Springs the majority of the population is probably from somehwere else other than the "deliverance" south.  On my street everyone is from north of the Mason-Dixon line.  This is a great place to live with plenty to do, you are about two hours from the beach and three hours from the mountains.

392224[/snapback]

CARY---Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Also, even if you do not golf, Pinehurst is a very cool place to spend an afternoon. Bout a 80 minute drive from downtown Raleigh

392200[/snapback]

That's hilarious, and some of it is very true. There are dentists, however, and I have a good one.

If Raleigh weren't 4 plus hours away, you could visit the beautiful Outer Banks.

J/K - thanks for the advice - I was hoping that North Carolina wasn't so South as to be "Deliverance" South.  I guess maybe I was wrong.

392207[/snapback]

Raliegh is more stereotypical South then Charlotte and the rest of the state is fairly redneckish. Charlotte is full of northern transplants and Southerners that don't mind us, I have been here for 7 months and am loving it. It's a nice, new city with a good variety of stuff to do. The girls are wayyyyyy better looking than up north too.

Visit Wrightsville, Carolina, or Kure Beach.  About a 2 to 2.5 hour ride from Raliegh.  There are hotels avalable right on the beach.  Niceset beaches on the east coast, I think.

PTR

392182[/snapback]

If you have a 4WD you can drive on the north and south end of Carolina Beach - which is what we do (once you do that you'll wonder how you ever went to the beach any other way). This year though they initiated a $10 daily charge ($40 for the season) to drive on the north end - not sure what the south end is now - I don't go down there. Wilmington has a nice downtown riverfront w/ shops/restaurants etc. - on the other side of the river is the USS North Carolina battleship which you can tour.

Downtown Raleigh is very accessible and I consider it very safe - I take my family down there all the time for concerts/events etc. There is an area downtown called City Market which has a few good bars/restaurants - unfortunately a Brew Pub called Greensheilds which was one of the first places that started a revitalization of that area years ago had a kitchen fire a couple years ago and eventually closed down after problems battling the insurance company. There are a coupe other nice areas around there - Glenwood and 'Power Station' which have some good restaurants/bars.

Close to downtown Raleigh is NC State - you can stop on Hillsborough St to check out the main college drag there for State and that whole scene. There is a bar called Mitch's Tavern there which is where some scenes from Bull Durham were filmed. There was a wing place across from the Bell Tower there which IMO had the best wings in the area - but they've changed ownership and while still good, I don't think they are as good as they used to be. Close by next to Carter-Finlyy stadium where State football plays is the RBC arena where the Carolina Hurricanes hockey team plays (and the State basketball team).

For Durham I would check to see if the Durham Bulls are playing and check out a game. One of my favorite things to do in the summer - nice park, and they are in the process of a major renovation of the area around the park - converting an old tobacco factory into shops/restaurants/office buldings etc. You can also go to the old Durham Bulls park which is where more scenes from Bull Durham were filmed (just drive through fast...)

Also in Durham is Duke - you could check out the campus and if you're lucky maybe get in and walk the hallowed halls of Cameron :w00t: There's a huge botanical garden on campus which is really nice.

Go down to Chapel Hill to see UNC and check out the scene on Franklin Street. Pretend you're part of a mob storming the streets celebrating a national championship :doh: Could also check out the Dean Dome when you're there.

In the middle of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is Research Triangle Park - the 'largest research park in the world' encompassing over 7000 acres and over 100 mostly high tech companies.

If you want to check out communities - to the south of RTP is Cary which is a very fast growing (and increasingly expensive) community. When I moved to my first home there 12 yrs ago on the edge of the city limits, I had to go 5 miles to get to the nearest grocery store. Now I have 6 within 3 miles and 3 more coming. It is considered by many to be snobbish and white bread - but I like it mostly because where I live is a 10-15 minute commute to RTP - and there are plenty of nice neighborhoods, places to eat, good schools, parks, facilities etc.

Further away are some smaller communities Apex, Garner, Holly Springs which are cheaper - but are also growing and becoming more expensive.

North Raleigh is another area where a lot of people live - but I am not as familiar with that area.

There's a couple nice state recreation areas - Falls Lake to the north and Jordan Lake south - for boating, camping etc.

Depending where your travels take you - the Outer Banks is a neat place to check out if you are planning to go near the coast. On the western end is the mountains. Near Asheville is the Biltmore Estate which is very cool.

BTW - speaking for Raleigh - I would not consider it backward or redneck at all. There are tens of thousands of people here relocated from other areas working in the high tech industry. I have NEVER in 13 yrs encountered any bad experience from a 'southerner'. This area has the highest per capita PHD of anywhere in the country. The Wake county school system was in the top 10 in the country last year. It is definitely true that once you get outside the city limits things get more back-country - but that is also true in NYS as well.

392200[/snapback]

You have no friggin clue moron. There are alot of western new yorkers living there. Stay in LA with the rest of the morons!

Visit NC

This should help direct you to what NC really has to offer. I have lived here for 27 years, and you won't find a better place to live IMHO. Living in either Raleigh or Charlotte will allow you short trips to the beach or mountains. People will welcome you no matter where you are from...don't believe some of the other post you have seen above.

You have no friggin clue moron. There are alot of western new yorkers living there. Stay in LA with the rest of the morons!

392249[/snapback]

And there you have it. One false move and a few multi-syllabic words and "WHAM" you're a moron. Thanks for proving my point. Now off to the fish fry for some tea, some hush puppies and a pac-a-nabs, ah-ite?

The reality is, Raleigh and Charlotte are fine because they're generally populated with people who are not native to the area. I have immediate family in Charlotte, Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, and one of my closest friends lives in Ocracoke and lived there for six years.

If you see exit signs for Old Fort or Marion, however, don't stop, keep driving, and pray you have enough gas.

Raleigh recommendations:

Art Museum

North Carolina Museum of Art is a fun place that now has 3 miles of interconnected walking trails that take you over into the Meredith College/NC State area. This is about 4 miles from Central City Raleigh.

I would second the Glenwood South Recommendation for eating.

In downtown Raleigh there are museum's of NC History, Natural Sciences, the State Capitol, Governor's mansion--all offer tours. The General Assembly is still in session debating the state budget and will be at the time you visit. Great chance to see political inaction.

Lots of good links here

There is also an IMax theater (part of a children's museum called Exploris) about 4 blocks away from the Capitol Area downtown and a couple of serviceable restaurants around the IMax museum. Cafe Luna is serviceable italian. Owner is a former NY restaurant owner, Parker Kennedy, great guy. Imports all his ingredients for sauces, pastas, etc. Also in this area are Tir Na Nog--decent Irish Pub and City Market--an area with several restaurants including Big Eds which is a breakfast mainstay--try the Brains and Eggs..to follow LA's train of thought this must be where the native brains end up because they are certainly could not be part of the native cranium....

Raleigh City Market

Exploris-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at IMax

Cafe Luna

If its oppressively hot like the last few days--Strongly recommend the Indoor activities.....if not, the art museum, a walk on the trail and then lunch in downtown and an afternoon in around the capitol area is a really good day.

392207[/snapback]

Dont believe what LA Billz said about raleigh area, its very nice and so many yankees down here no one is really suthern anymore.