With all the negativity about the MNF crew

Buftex

I like Al Michaels - McGuire

I dislike Madden and Joey T

391565[/snapback]

uggh...it pains me to say this because he's one of "us" but maguire makes my skin crawl. he's a poor madden impersonator. i watched very few sunday night games the past few years b/c i couldn't stand to listen to him. i'd rather hear theisman -- my god, did i just say that?

uggh...it pains me to say this because he's one of "us" but maguire makes my skin crawl.  he's a poor madden impersonator.  i watched very few sunday night games the past few years b/c i couldn't stand to listen to him.  i'd rather hear theisman -- my god, did i just say that?

391594[/snapback]

I'll never choose to watch something else, when an NFL game is on, because of the announcers. The season is too short and I love football. Instead, I treat the announcers like they are white noise and not pay any attention to something stupid they may say.

Al Michaels and Phil Simms or Troy Aikman.  No sideline reporter!!!!!

391570[/snapback]

Exactly my choices. The two most insightful guys that are doing color without trying to push thier amateurish, pathetic attempts at humor(ala Paul Mcquire). If a humorous element is necessary how about Art Donavan?That is, if he isnt dead by now or anything.

Al Michaels and Phil Simms or Troy Aikman.  No sideline reporter!!!!!

391570[/snapback]

I have no problem with sideline reporters, but it makes no sense if they are not hot (sorry ladies). If we're going to have someone report on injuries or the color of a guy's socks, at least give us a babe to look at. Where did Melissa Stark go? And have you seen Erin Andrews, the blonde on ESPN? She could talk into my microphone.

Jack Buck and Hank Stram.  Even today they'd make more sense than the proposed group.

391471[/snapback]

I loved Jack Buck and Hank Stram on the radio. Sadly, Stram is dead now, so he won't be able to do any more games :angry:

I posted something similar after they fired Miller and Dickerson. I'd have to go with a 3 man booth.

Al Michaels play by play (gotta keep the guy who called the "Miracle")

Ron Jawarski analyst (the smartest guy in Bristol)

Fred Willard (Best in Show announcer) as color guy

The last one is not a joke. I think that guy would be fabulous in the booth. You get enough X' and O's with Jaws alone.

I think this would be the new Howard-Gifford-Meredith. I can just see them now in the yellow jackets. Willard wearing plaid pants and colorful ties underneath.

They always aggravated me with sideline reporters because they never reported anything. A SL reporter should bring you a sense of the action and the drama on the sidelines. Not one of these "Al, I spoke with Andy Ried earlier in the week and he said...." Please! I can read that crap on the internet and newspaper. Let me know how many corn kernels AJ Feeley was sporting after Ted Washington fell on him.

My approach would be to get a guest sideline reporter every week. Keep it interesting. Don't tell anyone who it's going to be. If you strike gold with it the 1st couple weeks, tell me who wouldn't tune in to see who the Mystery Sideline Reporter is every Monday????

The MSR could be anyone. A Rock Star, a celeb, Kato, Mike Tyson, .......you get the picture. Hell, put the clean and sober Namath on and have some drunk hairy female Jets fan (pardon the redundancy) make lame passes at him while he's interviewing Adam Vinetieri. Come on people, this would absolutely rock on MNF!!!!

I actually liked the announcerless game they had in the 70s though it was a not-ready for watching product at the time I think it also held a lot promise and had the advantage of not having the announcers making stupid comments which detracted from the game (ex. many Dierdorfisms and the hey lookit me distractions of Theisman.

Where the promise really comes in is that now with 25 or so years of technological advances and techniques if they were to attempt an announcerless approach today and use the many graphic innovations available today and the improved sound access it would be great if well produced.

I do not turn off the sound on NFL games today despite the annoyances and stupidity of many annoucers because while one has to wade through this idiocy, many key pieces of info such as down and distance and explanations of ref calls are provided verbally.

However, if the production approach was to make sure this info is always provided graphically as it is now being done anyway on items such as down, distance, gametime and even out of town scores, I think the announcers are easily replaced for me by the audio and noise of the game.

Haing a producer who can add flash info like a TD call, a pending penalty or a challenge flag would add info which was often missing in the previous announcerless games. The color man does occaisionally provide some nuggets of information or perspective which are useful, but if these items were simply added from time to time as a crawl across the bottom of the screen that would be great (though I must admit the Alex Karras comment saying Otis Sistrunk attended the University of Mars was priceless).

Another addition would be the recognition that the absence of a play-by-play guy and color man constantly trying to fill the air and often simply ladeling drivel does not mean that commentary would not be useful from time to time.

If a game announcer came on 2 or 3 times a quarter around a normal play interruption or to provide an update from the locker room on an inured player this would be great.

So my answer on MHF is to make it an announcerless game and take the best and leave the rest they offer.

I posted something similar after they fired Miller and Dickerson. I'd have to go with a 3 man booth.

Al Michaels play by play (gotta keep the guy who called the "Miracle")

Ron Jawarski analyst (the smartest guy in Bristol)

Fred Willard (Best in Show announcer) as color guy

The last one is not a joke. I think that guy would be fabulous in the booth. You get enough X' and O's with Jaws alone.

I think this would be the new Howard-Gifford-Meredith. I can just see them now in the yellow jackets. Willard wearing plaid pants and colorful ties underneath.

They always aggravated me with sideline reporters because they never reported anything. A SL reporter should bring you a sense of the action and the drama on the sidelines. Not one of these "Al, I spoke with Andy Ried earlier in the week and he said...."  Please! I can read that crap on the internet and newspaper. Let me know how many corn kernels AJ Feeley was sporting after Ted Washington fell on him.

My approach would be to get a guest sideline reporter every week. Keep it interesting. Don't tell anyone who it's going to be. If you strike gold with it the 1st couple weeks, tell me who wouldn't tune in to see who the Mystery Sideline Reporter is every Monday????

The MSR could be anyone. A Rock Star, a celeb, Kato, Mike Tyson, .......you get the picture. Hell, put the clean and sober Namath on and have some drunk hairy female Jets fan (pardon the redundancy) make lame passes at him while he's interviewing Adam Vinetieri. Come on people, this would absolutely rock on MNF!!!!

391966[/snapback]

You might be on to something here !