why travis was not traded to the jags

ch19079

Jaguars | Pursuit of Henry Failed for Three Reasons

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:02:09 -0700

"Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars attempt to trade for Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry failed for three reasons. 1) Buffalo didn't want to trade Henry to the Jaguars. 2) In trading Henry to the Tennessee Titans for a third-round pick; the Bills believe they have received a draft choice that will ultimately turn out to be higher in the draft order than the Jaguars' third-round pick. 3) The Jaguars were reluctant to part with a second-round pick. There are reports the Jaguars attempted to sweeten the deal with an 11th-hour offer of a second-round pick, but those reports remain unsubstantiated and it's possible a second-rounder wouldn't have gotten the deal done either."

wouldnt that 1 reason be enough??

http://www.jaguars.com/story/4471.asp

This blows my mind. It reads like a high school girl who was jilted for the prom! "Unsubstantiated reports??" It's Jaguars.com for cryin' out loud! You are the friggin' source!!

I do wonder how many NFL execs hate Tom Donahoe's guts? And is that such a bad thing?

PTR

Jaguars | Pursuit of Henry Failed for Three Reasons

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:02:09 -0700

"Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars attempt to trade for Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry failed for three reasons. 1) Buffalo didn't want to trade Henry to the Jaguars. 2) In trading Henry to the Tennessee Titans for a third-round pick; the Bills believe they have received a draft choice that will ultimately turn out to be higher in the draft order than the Jaguars' third-round pick. 3) The Jaguars were reluctant to part with a second-round pick. There are reports the Jaguars attempted to sweeten the deal with an 11th-hour offer of a second-round pick, but those reports remain unsubstantiated and it's possible a second-rounder wouldn't have gotten the deal done either."

wouldnt that 1 reason be enough??

384268[/snapback]

That just seems entirely stupid and the poinion of one guy at Jaguars.com. Its a good post though that probably reflects what the opinion in Jags country is like. I have never heard of a team deciding on a trade offer from 2 different teams based on where they "think" they would end up in the draft the next year. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY OF KNOWING how a team will finish.

Just another reason to hate the Jags and I'm glad they didnt get Henry.

That just seems entirely stupid and the poinion of one guy at Jaguars.com.  Its a good post though that probably reflects what the opinion in Jags country is like.  I have never heard of a team deciding on a trade offer from 2 different teams based on where they "think" they would end up in the draft the next year.  THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY OF KNOWING how a team will finish.

Just another reason to hate the Jags and I'm glad they didnt get Henry.

It's entirely plausible that TD felt he'd rather do a deal with the Titans over the Jags, mainly because the Jags were almost a playoff team last year and added some more players, whereas the Titans were bad last year and lost players. Now it might happen that the Jags are bad this year (especially if Taylor can't play for a good portion of the season), but the odds are definitely higher that the Titans will be a bad team.

This Vic jerk can kiss my arse. Just a couple of days ago he was writing that NO team in the league was going to give a third straight up for Travis. I know the line to load up on crow is pretty long, but he has every reason to be near the front of the line.

Henry has been available since before draft day. Donahoe has said all along he wanted a 2nd rounder. When he didn't get it, he lowered the price to a 3rd rounder. For the last few weeks, it has been either the Titans or the Jags. Jacksonville had to know that if the Bills had to choose which team to get a 3rd from it was going to be the Titans. The only way they were going to get Henry for sure is to give up a 2nd rounder.

So, Jacksonville gambled that the Titans wouldn't give up the pick and they lost. Now, there are claims that there was an "11th hour offer of a 2nd rounder" and it sounds like complete BS. Are we supposed to believe we would not take a 2nd round pick because the Jags are so scary good? Even though TH doesn't have a long term deal in place with the Titans (and he did with the Jags).

This is purely PR and spin from the Jaguars. They wanted to see if the Bills would blink first and we didn’t.

I think ol' Ralph Wilson blocked the Jacksonville trade. He's still pissed that 18 million dollars of his is sitting in Rob Johnson's account. 18 mil. 9 wins. 2 mil per win!!!!

384431[/snapback]

Yeah, but it's not much per sack. And that's what really counts.

I mean, he paid Bledsoe more per sack, didn't he? :doh:

http://www.jaguars.com/story/4471.asp

This blows my mind.  It reads like a high school girl who was jilted for the prom!  "Unsubstantiated reports??"  It's Jaguars.com for cryin' out loud!  You are the friggin' source!!

I do wonder how many NFL execs hate Tom Donahoe's guts?  And is that such a bad thing?

PTR

384322[/snapback]

"When you look at it that way, the trade is kind of shocking. Do the Titans really believe Henry's going to put them over the top? What about that cap problem? This isn't going to make matters better."

this quote is freakin funny. maybe the team saw an oportunity to use a 3rd round pick on a very good RB, because the RB they have isnt getting it done. yes Henry will want a nice contract extention, but hes proven what he can do. cap problem... they cut most of their players. to get under the cap. but that doesnt mean they shouldnt sign anyone. they still have to field a team.

it does make matters better. 1 more tallented player on the team.

this guy obviously was covering for the coach and his site, which said in the past the jags wanted Henry. and now that they lost the bidding war, he needs to spin it right. making it sould as if buffalo has something agenst the jags. its not rocket science. IMO, there is a 80% chance that the jags will finish next season with a better record than the titans. if the jags had to know this. and simply didnt watn henry as much as the titans did.

So, Jacksonville gambled that the Titans wouldn't give up the pick and they lost.  Now, there are claims that there was an "11th hour offer of a 2nd rounder" and it sounds like complete BS.  Are we supposed to believe we would not take a 2nd round pick because the Jags are so scary good?  Even though TH doesn't have a long term deal in place with the Titans (and he did with the Jags). 

384425[/snapback]

Why would you another team help whho you might be facing in the playoffs?

There is a good chance that the difference between the Jag's 2nd and the Titan's 3rd could be 5-15 picks.

I think it is a no brainer, say no to the Jag's offer of a 2nd and take the Titan's 3rd.

Why would you another team help whho you might be facing in the playoffs?

There is a good chance that the difference between the Jag's 2nd and the Titan's 3rd could be 5-15 picks.

I think it is a no brainer, say no to the Jag's offer of a 2nd and take the Titan's 3rd.

384449[/snapback]

I disagree that the Titans 3rd is a better deal thean the Jags 2nd.

It could be 5 but that is really pushing it. Assuming the Titans are the 2nd worst team in the NFL, the Jags would have to make it to the AFC Championship game for it to be 5. It is unlikely the Titans will be that bad and the Jags will be that good. It is more likely to be 15 spots or maybe more (which is a lot).

As far as us facing each other in the playoffs, you have to assume one of us wins the division for that to happen. It could happen but both teams have to climb over tough competition to make that happen.

The 2nd rounder is the better deal. I just don't think it was every real.

I disagree that the Titans 3rd is a better deal thean the Jags 2nd. 

It could be 5 but that is really pushing it.  Assuming the Titans are the 2nd worst team in the NFL, the Jags would have to make it to the AFC Championship game for it to be 5.  It is unlikely the Titans will be that bad and the Jags will be that good.  It is more likely to be 15 spots or maybe more (which is a lot). 

As far as us facing each other in the playoffs, you have to assume one of us wins the division for that to happen.  It could happen but both teams have to climb over tough competition to make that happen.

The 2nd rounder is the better deal.  I just don't think it was every real.

Travis for a straight-up 2nd from Jax was never a deal. Travis for a conditional 2nd was a theorized deal, but not proof was ever given that it was offered. So if the Jags made an offer of a 2nd, it was probably conditional, with the conditions being rushing for over 1,400 yards and 10-12 TD's, and given that Travis hasn't always been able to stay healthy and the possibility that Taylor could play this year, a conditional 2nd from the Jags likely wouldn't have happened, making it a 3rd, which is worse than the Titans' 3rd.

Oh and this Jags writer has a better grasp on the situation: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19259754.shtml

Travis for a straight-up 2nd from Jax was never a deal.  Travis for a conditional 2nd was a theorized deal, but not proof was ever given that it was offered.  So if the Jags made an offer of a 2nd, it was probably conditional, with the conditions being rushing for over 1,400 yards and 10-12 TD's, and given that Travis hasn't always been able to stay healthy and the possibility that Taylor could play this year, a conditional 2nd from the Jags likely wouldn't have happened, making it a 3rd, which is worse than the Titans' 3rd.

Oh and this Jags writer has a better grasp on the situation: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19259754.shtml

384514[/snapback]

In the end, I don't think the deal for any 2nd rounder is real and is all spin.

384561[/snapback]

In the audio interview with TD on BB.com, Donahoe said the Jags NEVER offered a draft pick better than the Titans. All of that 2nd round talk was just that...talk.

I agree. But people don't seem to want to distinguish a straight-up 2nd from a conditional 2nd. No way does TD refuse a straight-up 2nd from the Jags, but that's the implication in these reports, with the further implaction being that he's scared of the Jags and their playoff chances.

I agree.  But people don't seem to want to distinguish a straight-up 2nd from a conditional 2nd.  No way does TD refuse a straight-up 2nd from the Jags, but that's the implication in these reports, with the further implaction being that he's scared of the Jags and their playoff chances.

384575[/snapback]

I agree. TD would have taken the straight up second if it was offered.

As for the conditional 2nd, I would rather have a solid 3rd from the Titans, who appear to be the weaker team, and none of us know what the "conditions" would be, nor if Travis will achieve these goals.

I am thinking that TD kicked ass here!

Are we supposed to believe we would not take a 2nd round pick because the Jags are so scary good?  Even though TH doesn't have a long term deal in place with the Titans (and he did with the Jags). 

This is purely PR and spin from the Jaguars.  They wanted to see if the Bills would blink first and we didn’t.

384425[/snapback]

Am I the only one here that thinks that if we believed that Jags are a potential wild card competitor, then we should have sent TH there ? We could then blitz the heck out of the QB and be semi-assured of a win ? :doh:

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy that the deal is done and I couldn't care a rat's a** who gave us the third round pick.

And on the subject of eating crow, I was in the camp that thought we should get at least a 2nd rounder for him but as his market value started emerging I realized my mistake in over-valuing him.

I agree. TD would have taken the straight up second if it was offered.

As for the conditional 2nd, I would rather have a solid 3rd from the Titans, who appear to be the weaker team, and none of us know what the "conditions" would be, nor if Travis will achieve these goals.

I am thinking that TD kicked ass here!

384577[/snapback]

That just doesn't make sense Bill. Isn't Travis the worst player in NFL history? Wouldn't you MUCH rather have him on the Jags than the Titans if we were fighting the Jags for a playoff spot? Wouldn't that make the Jags one of the worst running teams in NFL history because even though they may be opening huge holes, Travis cannot see them or understand them or get there over his own two feet and would just fall down? Wouldnt the fact of having the worst human on the planet, too, infect their team and lessen their character? Seriously, we should have traded Travis to the Patriots AND given them a #3 pick just to ruin them.