Why is everyone so happy about the trade?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no -- i repeat NO -- reason for a bills' fan not to be happy with this trade, or with the way donahoe handled a very dicey situation.

a 3rd round pick from the titans is likely going to be in the high 60s or low 70s. tremendous value for a player with many deficiencies.

i thank henry for his effort while wearing our colors, but the bottom line is that the team lost more than they won when he was our feature back. as soon as he went out, and mcgahee came in, production increased, sacks decreased, and, most importantly, the bills became winners.

it's a good day to be a bills' fan.

I am as big a Travis fan as anyone, but you just said Travis was a 1400+ yard running back and you're seemingly disappointed we didn't get more for him. He played four years. That was his best year. Why did you choose that one? Couldn't someone else say he is a 300 yard RB and a third rounder is a friggin' steal? He had seasons of about 700, 1400, 1300 and 300. And was beaten out. That, to me, is a 950 yard RB if you want to use stats. A #3 was a decent or good trade for him, especially considering everything that happened (he's injury prone, he was beaten out, he's coming off a bad year, he's bitching, he has one year left on his contract, other RBs were available, several teams drafted big name RBs in round one, etc).

I personally think it was a great trade for Tennessee, too, and he may a steal for a #3. But that doesn't mean we could have gotten much more for him.

383500[/snapback]

That was actually an excellent point/post.

Out of curiousity, who is the Bills backup RB?

383699[/snapback]

In terms of the real world when WM went down in a game last year and Henry was already out the Bills went with Shaud Williams at RB. He was not very good in relief of WM picking up 30 yards in 14 carries but did not need to be as we won this one going away due to superior D and ST play.

He saw substantial time the next week and had a very good performance as he gained 93 or so yards and even had a TD or two as he split time with WM who went over 1000 yards for the season.

Most folks feel that Williams will not stand up to a full season of pounding as he is a little guy at 170+ lbs who is better utilized on 3rd down. Instead we got Rashard Lee who comes in at about 220ibs.

Lee is an unproven commodity but did show some good signs at Dallas (much of it as a return guy). He was available when he requested release from Dallas after they signed Thomas from Chicago (who we also bid for as our back-up but he saw a better opportunity for him backing up Jones in Big D than backing up WM here. As the Thomas signing pushed Lee out he landed here.

My whole point was that I'm not pissed about it, but I'm just surprised at how many people are excited that we got a THIRD round pick for a 1400+ yard running back....

383320[/snapback]

I tried to point that out a few times myself but I just got run over by the "all hail TD" crowd. Apparently, anything sort of girlishly gushing praise for this trade as the deal of the century makes you a TD hater.

Could you provide a list of these "idiots"?  I haven't seen a single person post that, so this info would be great...

383477[/snapback]

Actually, I think the pre-draft idiots who thought we would get a first rounder or at a minimum, a second rounder, far outweigh the number of people who may have said to just cut him.

Steve, you need to talk to the idiots who really thought he wasn't worth anything and wanted TD to just release him.    I hope they grow a brain someday real soon.

383475[/snapback]

I think you're missing the point.

There were three possible scenarios.

1. He gets traded.

2. He gets cut.

3. He stays on the team.

No one argued that 2 was preferable to 1. That's illogical. Those that did argued that 2 was preferable to 3, feeling that Henry had the wrong game to be McGahee's backup (because of his personality, blocking, injury history, etc.).

Great deal for the Bills - no question about that.

I tried to point that out a few times myself but I just got run over by the "all hail TD" crowd.  Apparently, anything sort of girlishly gushing praise for this trade as the deal of the century makes you a TD hater.

383715[/snapback]

I think that the views I have espoused about TD in general (his reign has been a mixed bag beginning with him doing a good job dealing with cap hell outside of some bumb restructuring and then cutting of JH and HJ, doing a horrendous job selecting his first HC, but also doing a great job accumulating talent after this lousy hire like Modrak, retaining Gray, and hiring MM and TC) have been pretty moderate but somehow folks like So-Cal specifically state this is creaming oneself in TD adulation if one chooses to emphasize that in this half-half empty estimation of TD, his finally leading us to a winning record, moving beyond the Bledsoe era, and the prospects for MM means that his most recent acts are the good ones.

if a mixed bad view of TD is girly-gushing then so be it.

The Henry trade simply strikes me as part of the more recent run of good actions by TD.

I have been quite clear about the downsides of this act, that this trade does nothing for us in 2005, but given that as cited above posters have said he should cut Henry and get nothing for him, and given that published pundits like John Clayton and Pro Football Weekly are on record berating TD for not settling for a bird-in-the-hand deal when TN was offering a 5th or AZ was offering to trade him for a player they later cut and we could have has him for no trade value, it seems like TD did a good job not take the advice of these "experts" and these Bills lovers.

Since I do not think you affiliate yourself with the views of the folks in the paragraoh above who were simply wrong, then perhaps your complaint is that we should have gotten more for Henry because he is a former Pro Bowler and put up great rushing yards.

However, I think the moderate views of this trade do take this into account, but also recognize that the reality of the market was simply one where TN originally offered a 5th and despite the pressure of outside pundits and some Bills partisans, TD stuck to his guns and got a 3rd.

I think at best we could have gotten TH to face reality and be a good backup though this would have taken some effort and the end result would have been if we were lucky enough not to need a back-up much he would have olayed the market as he is allowed to do and we would have gotten nothing.

Instead, we got a 3rd for him and we will need to make it work with Lee/Williams as a back-up.

For folks to argue we should have gotten a 2nd for him seems to fly in the face of what the market was offering and is theoretically good but is unsupported by reality.

We now have THREE threads thanking TD for this trade.

Now, let me start by saying I don't think there was anything we could have done, so I'm not pissed about it. But, I'm not gonna start a thread thanking TD for this.

Think about it. TH ran for back-to-back 1300+ seasons and was on pace for a third till he got benched. I was never personally the biggest TH fan, but those stats and the guy is only worth a 3 rounder?

What percetage of 3 rounders ever become starters? We will end up getting a backup lineman or backup tight end next year, and like it or not, we traded a 2nd tier NFL RB for that.

If this had been any other year (meaning the market for RBs was better) TH is worth a high second rounder.. easily.

383312[/snapback]

Any other year? I've usually defended Henry here when people have dogged him, but c'mon. It could be last year, 2 years ago, or next year, it doesn't matter....Travis Henry is nothing better than an average starting RB at best.

FWIW, the talk out of Philly is that the Eagles might have to take an even lower pick if they're going to trade TO. When you don't have leverage you don't have leverage.

I agree that a 3rd round pick is nothing to cream your pants over, but you really couldn't have expected anything more given the circumstances.

Like I said in an earlier post, some people are never happy with anything.  If TD got a 2, you'd want a #1.

383322[/snapback]

And if he got a #1, some people would B word that it wasn't a top ten pick. And if it was a top ten pick, some people would B word that it wasn't #1 overall. And if it was #1 overall, some people would B word that he should have waited a year because the top pick in 2007 would be a better player than the top pick in 2006.

:w00t:

"Apr 26 2005, 12:18 PM

Post #9

I'd cut him June 1st. He doesn't want to be here. I don't want a petulant infant on the team. I feel the Bill's management failed to wake up and get whatever they could for him - other teams correctly determined that he has become a snot."

:w00t::P:P Guilty as charged, Cap'n. Whick plank? :P

Post #9

I'd cut him June 1st. He doesn't want to be here. I don't want a petulant infant on the team. I feel the Bill's management failed to wake up and get whatever they could for him - other teams correctly determined that he has become a snot."

:w00t:  :P  :P  Guilty as charged, Cap'n.  Whick plank? :P

384010[/snapback]

:P:P:P

Post #9

:w00t:  :P  :P  Guilty as charged, Cap'n.  Whick plank? :P

384010[/snapback]

If they want you to walk the plank, I suppose I am a candidate for hanging. :P

Either way, ya gotta hand it to TD. In 06, we will have an extra (early) 3rd, and perhaps a compensation pick. Good thing that TD is the GM and not I. :P

If they want you to walk the plank, I suppose I am a candidate for hanging.  :P

Either way, ya gotta hand it to TD. In 06, we will have an extra (early) 3rd, and perhaps a compensation pick. Good thing that TD is the GM and not I.  :P

384094[/snapback]

Keel-hauling? :w00t:

Henry HAD to produce this year if he wanted the big paycheck next year.  He couldn't afford to be a quitter.  And so he was unhappy.............lots of people are unhappy at their job.  So what?  They still have to do their work

383321[/snapback]

Reminds me of a Drew Carey joke... "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."

Go Bills!

And if he got a #1, some people would B word that it wasn't a top ten pick.  And if it was a top ten pick, some people would B word that it wasn't #1 overall.  And if it was #1 overall, some people would B word that he should have waited a year because the top pick in 2007 would be a better player than the top pick in 2006.

:P

384004[/snapback]

It should have been the #1 overall plus a starting LT who will work at the same salary cap cost as Travis.... :w00t: