Why is everyone so happy about the trade?

:w00t:

On July 16, I said:

"Jul 16 2005, 09:41 PM

Post #21

Group: Members

Member No.: 3,700

Good luck, TH.

Why, just before last season, some folks were ripping a certain running back for being injured, being a major malcontent, a has-been, washed-up, and not worth the trade value to either team. Guess who?"

The above, was the *inconsistency* with my previous post in April that resulted in me being "called out"... :P

P.S.: The answer to "Guess Who" was Corey Dillon :P

I don't know how to copy the address to get a reference, so you must review my posts to obtain my comment after the trade - why one would bother escapes me, though. :P

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now have THREE threads thanking TD for this trade.

Now, let me start by saying I don't think there was anything we could have done, so I'm not pissed about it. But, I'm not gonna start a thread thanking TD for this.

Think about it. TH ran for back-to-back 1300+ seasons and was on pace for a third till he got benched. I was never personally the biggest TH fan, but those stats and the guy is only worth a 3 rounder?

What percetage of 3 rounders ever become starters? We will end up getting a backup lineman or backup tight end next year, and like it or not, we traded a 2nd tier NFL RB for that.

If this had been any other year (meaning the market for RBs was better) TH is worth a high second rounder.. easily.

383312[/snapback]

Thank you TD!! :w00t:

We now have THREE threads thanking TD for this trade.

Now, let me start by saying I don't think there was anything we could have done, so I'm not pissed about it. But, I'm not gonna start a thread thanking TD for this.

Think about it. TH ran for back-to-back 1300+ seasons and was on pace for a third till he got benched. I was never personally the biggest TH fan, but those stats and the guy is only worth a 3 rounder?

What percetage of 3 rounders ever become starters? We will end up getting a backup lineman or backup tight end next year, and like it or not, we traded a 2nd tier NFL RB for that.

If this had been any other year (meaning the market for RBs was better) TH is worth a high second rounder.. easily.

383312[/snapback]

TH also couldn't run a route, block, or pick up the blitz. And, frankly, he's very dumb. Extraordinarily dumb. Retatta-cooking type stupidity. Had I not heard from plenty of sources that he doesn't know a play book from a coloring book, I still would have thought so just watching him.

So basically, the Bills got a third round pick for a guy who can run...and on a good day, maybe tie his shoes. And do not much else. It doesn't sound THAT unfair to me.

I think that the views I have espoused about TD in general (his reign has been a mixed bag beginning with him doing a good job dealing with cap hell outside of some bumb restructuring and then cutting of JH and HJ, doing a horrendous job selecting his first HC, but also doing a great job accumulating talent after this lousy hire like Modrak, retaining Gray, and hiring MM and TC) have been pretty moderate but somehow folks like So-Cal specifically state this is creaming oneself in TD adulation if one chooses to emphasize that in this half-half empty estimation of TD, his finally leading us to a winning record, moving beyond the Bledsoe era, and the prospects for MM means that his most recent acts are the good ones.

if a mixed bad view of TD is girly-gushing then so be it.

The Henry trade simply strikes me as part of the more recent run of good actions by TD.

I have been quite clear about the downsides of this act, that this trade does nothing for us in 2005, but given that as cited above posters have said he should cut Henry and get nothing for him, and given that published pundits like John Clayton and Pro Football Weekly are on record berating TD for not settling for a bird-in-the-hand deal when TN was offering a 5th or AZ was offering to trade him for a player they later cut and we could have has him for no trade value, it seems like TD did a good job not take the advice of these "experts" and these Bills lovers.

Since I do not think you affiliate yourself with the views of the folks in the paragraoh above who were simply wrong, then perhaps your complaint is that we should have gotten more for Henry because he is a former Pro Bowler and put up great rushing yards.

However, I think the moderate views of this trade do take this into account, but also recognize that the reality of the market was simply one where TN originally offered a 5th and despite the pressure of outside pundits and some Bills partisans, TD stuck to his guns and got a 3rd.

I think at best we could have gotten TH to face reality and be a good backup though this would have taken some effort and the end result would have been if we were lucky enough not to need a back-up much he would have olayed the market as he is allowed to do and we would have gotten nothing.

Instead, we got a 3rd for him and we will need to make it work with Lee/Williams as a back-up.

For folks to argue we should have gotten a 2nd for him seems to fly in the face of what the market was offering and is theoretically good but is unsupported by reality.

383726[/snapback]

I have not said we should just cut him and I have not said we should have done better than the third rounder we eventually obtained from the Titans.

What I said before the draft was that I highly doubted that we would get a first or second round pick for TH. The responses I got was that I must be a TD hater for not thinking that the old fox would pull a rabbit out of his hat and get a high pick for TH or responses along the lines that I was an idiot because TH was such a great back. Still others called me out as both, an idiot and a TD hater. I don't mean to mock out any who thought we would do better than we did and were not arrogant or insulting to those who disagreed.

After the draft, a lot of the same people were convinced that ol' Tom would still pull off some brilliant stroke and get us a second round pick just as soon as some team had a starter go down with a knee injury. From a Karma standpoint, with our own starter having a history of knee injuries (yes, two injuries to your knees is enough to have a "history" of knee injuries), I felt we should be last team in the league wishing for a RB to go out for the season. I pointed out that ol' Tom is not a genius and even if he were, the bottom line is that TH just isn't worth much which is why the best offer we got at the draft was a 4th rounder. Again I was villified by some of the more petulant posters who I am sure you have dealt with as well. The complaint was that again, I was not acknowledging the brilliance of TD in failing to believe that he would get us a second rounder (at least all the first round talk died out after the draft).

Now finally we get rid of him and for a 3rd rounder which was about right given the whole situation and immediately there are two or three threads about how wonderful TD is and how any doubters should offer an apology. As I have said before now on several occasions, it was an average trade for an average player and an average draft pick. The only real significance it might end up generating is if a) WM goes down in camp with a knee injury or b) we end up getting a real find with our extra third rounder. Hopefully that first one will never happen and you can't get lucky in the third without a pick in the third and we know have two so we have two shots and unearthing a stud. TD did a competent job here but there was no brilliance nor any foolishness on his part. It seems to some I don't praise TD eough and to others, I don't condemn him enough.

Tell you one thing though, I care about wins, not third round draft picks or money saving releases of prima donnas. If we win, TD will justly be praised for recovering from what mistakes he did make (GW) to produce a winner and if we don't, he will justly bear his share of the blame. No more excuses.

I agree that  a 3rd round pick is nothing to cream your pants over, but you really couldn't have expected anything more given the circumstances.

383903[/snapback]

Exactly. No big deal. No stroke of utter, blinding brilliance and not an astounding failure either. We got him for a second, traded him for a third and got a couple of good years out of him to make up the difference. Ho-freaking-hum.

And, frankly, he's very dumb.  Extraordinarily dumb.  Retatta-cooking type stupidity.  Had I not heard from plenty of sources that he doesn't know a play book from a coloring book, I still would have thought so just watching him.

384217[/snapback]

:doh::lol::lol: I will never watch TH the same way again. That is indeed, extraordinarily dumb.