Tim Connolly

I was reading earlier today that Tim Connolly signed overseas for the season.  Does anyone know how he did?

I know he has been a bust but I was just wondering.

OUT

382751[/snapback]

I don't know if he signed overseas, but you can hardly categorize him as a bust. He had a pretty good first year (45 points), fell off second year (25), and didn't play because of a concussion the third year. I guess it all depends on your expectations. IMO, he isnt a bust. The kid has skillz!

I can't wait for next season!!!!!

Go Sabres!

I don't know if he signed overseas, but you can hardly categorize him as a bust.  He had a pretty good first year (45 points), fell off second year (25), and didn't play because of a concussion the third year.  I guess it all depends on your expectations.  IMO, he isnt a bust.  The kid has skillz! 

I can't wait for next season!!!!!

Go Sabres!

382764[/snapback]

Uhhh..I think that he's best classified as a complete bust. 45 points from a 21 year old center is fine if he does something else well like win a faceoff or (GOD FORBID) backcheck. Or if he shows signs of getting better, which he never did. He doesn't play D and he's not good enough 5 on 5 to play as a scoring line center. Too bad, he would've been really popular around here...

Uhhh..I think that he's best classified as a complete bust. 45 points from a 21 year old center is fine if he does something else well like win a faceoff or (GOD FORBID) backcheck. Or if he shows signs of getting better, which he never did. He doesn't play D and he's not good enough 5 on 5 to play as a scoring line center. Too bad, he would've been really popular around here...

382769[/snapback]

Yah, your right. He is a complete bust because he couldn't put up monster numbers as a 21 or 22 year old. Give me a break! I'll agree with you about is lack of defensive abilities, but not many younger players have the ability to compete as a defensive powerhouse and/or consistantly win faceoffs. I doubt you would think any different of him if he backchecked a little more, and won a few more faceoffs.

You give a KID two years and determine he is not showing signs of getting better... hmm... If you look at his career totals, his points per year increased his first 3 years in his career. Not to mention, he was the 3rd leading scorer on the team his first year with the team. I guess based on your rationality, he reached his max potential at 21-22 years old since "he isn't showing signs of getting better." ha! :lol:

I mean, seriously, what do you expect out of him? He had one horrible season, and he didnt play the next because of an injury.

One thing about Tim Connolly: If the Sabres really want him to produce the numbers that were expected of him, maybe playing him as the C on one of the top 2 scoring lines would be a good start. How many 3rd line and 4th line centers, in todays NHL, do you know that can rack up 70, 80 points a season?

One thing about Tim Connolly:  If the Sabres really want him to produce the numbers that were expected of him, maybe playing him as the C on one of the top 2 scoring lines would be a good start.  How many 3rd line and 4th line centers, in todays NHL, do you know that can rack up 70, 80 points a season?

382891[/snapback]

You are absolutely right. But Lindy Ruff doesn't have many original thoughts, unfortunately.

He is a local product and lets give him a try. I argued with someone at work about his productivity but he had the concussion thing. He showed signs of being a productive player at times and then looked horrible. I think he came to the hometown team as the savior (replacing Peca) and couldnt live up to it but could be a solid 2nd liner. I cant wait for hockey to start and lets hope a certain Mr Crosby comes to town but I have a feeling Bettman will screw Buffalo again (NO GOAL) and the Rangers will get the first pick.

He is a local product and lets give him a try.  I argued with someone at work about his productivity but he had the concussion thing.  He showed signs of being a productive player at times and then looked horrible.   I think he came to the hometown team as the savior (replacing Peca) and couldnt live up to it but could be a solid 2nd liner.   I cant wait for hockey to start and lets hope a certain Mr Crosby comes to town but I have a feeling Bettman will screw Buffalo again (NO GOAL) and the Rangers will get the first pick.

383011[/snapback]

The problem is the Sabres our littered with 2nd line centers: Drury, Briere and Roy. While I'm not ready to toss Connelly away he's in a logjam that he might never surpass unless he shifts to LW.

Yah, your right.  He is a complete bust because he couldn't put up monster numbers as a 21 or 22 year old.  Give me a break!  I'll agree with you about is lack of defensive abilities, but not many younger players have the ability to compete as a defensive powerhouse and/or consistantly win faceoffs.  I doubt you would think any different of him if he backchecked a little more, and won a few more faceoffs.

You give a KID two years and determine he is not showing signs of getting better... hmm...  If you look at his career totals, his points per year increased his first 3 years in his career.  Not to mention, he was the 3rd leading scorer on the team his first year with the team.  I guess based on your rationality, he reached his max potential at 21-22 years old since "he isn't showing signs of getting better."  ha!  :rolleyes:

I mean, seriously, what do you expect out of him?  He had one horrible season, and he didnt play the next because of an injury.

382799[/snapback]

I don't completely disagree with you, and I don't think it's completely his fault, but I just don't see him as ever being more than a Craig Janney type. Maybe he'll get you 20-50-70 in a good year down the road, but his complete lack of grit and desire are pretty alarming, even for a "kid."

I say it's not all his fault because of the unfair circumstances he's had to go through his whole career-

A. he was drafted #5 overall, expectations perhaps too high

B. The Islanders significantly retarded his development by rushing him to the NHL

C. As mentioned earlier, the Lindy Ruff factor- Buffalo has been a graveyard for talented offensive players for years, and Ruff's inability to create lines that make sense is a major factor in that.

D. Replacing a great two way player, leader, and fan favorite like Peca is pretty much impossible.

But there are big time flaws with him, and I don't think he'll ever develop in Buffalo. For him to make it in the NHL he's gonna have to be a 1st line center, a 2nd line center surrounded by two guys who can really play defense (two guys who'd probably be on a checking line), or a 4th line spare part that only gets serious ice time on the PP. It's a Catch 22 with him...he can't get better unless he plays, but Buffalo can't afford to play him because he's a huge liability.

I think he's a skilled player taken in an extremely weak draft whose career potential just isn't what a #5 pick in another year's draft may be...

I didn't hear about that... unless he keeps his brains in his leg.

382863[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure he hurt his leg this year while playing on that swiss team he was playing for. If you look at the stats labaatblue posted, he didn't play too many games. I've been searching for the story, but I can't find it. I'm sure someone here can back this up.

I'd like to root for this guy, but he plays too soft to play for Lindy Ruff. Maybe with the rule changes he could have a better chance of showing his skill, but I don't see Ruff giving him much ice time if he won't run into anybody even by accident.

For a guy who already plays soft, you wonder how he will play after a long layoff from a concussion.

Folks can have whatever opinion they choose as to whether he is a bust or not. However, as i understand it he is still under contract with the Sabres. The stats posted indicate that he had recovered enough from the concusiion which benched him with the Sabres that he could play.

There is still uncertainty whether it was a leg injury or another concussion which apparently shorted his stint in Europe. Either way, if he can play whether he is good enough to contribute to the Sabres will be determined by what he does on the ice rather than opinion and that is good enough for me.