OT -- Sabres Have Best Shot At Crosby

kclor

Three balls out of 48 (6.25%) does not make me feel confident.  If you want to talk conspiracy, I hate to say it, but this kid will go to the Leafs.  Do you think the NHL was excited when Tampa Bay (!!!) beat a Canadian team for the Cup?  If the fix is in, they will send the hometown boy to Toronto.

381099[/snapback]

Well, the league tried to keep Gil Perreault in Canada, too, but fortunately Punch Imlach wasn't buying it.

Story

Gilbert Perreault won the Most Valuable Player award in 1970, and after two Memorial Cup championships, NHL teams hotly contested his services. Two new teams were being admitted to the NHL that season - the Vancouver Canucks and the Buffalo Sabres. The first choice in the 1970 Entry Draft was determined by the spin of a giant roulette wheel. Punch Imlach, Buffalo's general manager, won the coin flip and chose the Number 11, his favoured number. NHL president Clarence Campbell spun the wheel and announced it had stopped on the Number 1. The Vancouver Canucks executives began celebrating until Imlach took a closer look and noticed that the wheel was actually stopped on '11,' not 1.' Gilbert Perreault was quickly selected as the Buffalo Sabres' first player and wore the Number 11 throughout his pro career. With the second choice, the Canucks settled for Dale Tallon. The Sabres built their franchise around the young Victoriaville star.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the fix is in, they will send the hometown boy to Toronto.

381099[/snapback]

Actually, the league would not want him in Toronto at all. First of all, the kid is from Nova Scotia, and he is a Habs fan. He doesn't like the Leafs any more than we do. Second of all, the Leafs will sell out hockey no matter what. What they really need to do is get him in New York, where there is a _huge_ market for sports, but not a large enough following. If they had a superstar, the potential TV revenue is quite large. So, if he goes to the Rangers, then yes, the fix is in. Otherwise, I'd say it was a fair lottery....sucks to be the rangers if they actually get him fair and square :D

Buffalo has a 1/16 shot of landing crosby. 3/48 balls. To put it in a more understanding perspective, Buffalo will land crosby less often then you will win a pot drawing to an inside straight. However, they have as good of a shot as anyone.

If the Sabres win the Crosby sweepstakes, I personally will waste entirely too much time campaigning to put them back in actual hockey uniforms.

Or Sacrifice a cat.  Whichever is easier.

381291[/snapback]

"Cat Sacrifice Night at HSBC Arena" :D

Would that draw the fans back?

Actually, the league would not want him in Toronto at all.  First of all, the kid is from Nova Scotia, and he is a Habs fan.  He doesn't like the Leafs any more than we do.

381292[/snapback]

oooh... a Habs fan. I knew I liked the kid... :D

Of course, I'm hoping he ends up in bleu/blanc/rouge - but it wouldn't exactly disappoint me to see him land in Buffalo, either. (As long as they ditch the goathead for the blue/gold, that is...)

Buffalo has a 1/16 shot of landing crosby.  3/48 balls.  To put it in a more understanding perspective, Buffalo will land crosby less often then you will win a pot drawing to an inside straight.  However, they have as good of a shot as anyone.

381335[/snapback]

What I want to know is why there are 48 balls in the lottery. It seems to me that about half the teams in the league should have NO chance, even a 1/48 chance, of landing Crosby. It's a travesty to me that the Red Wings have a ball in the lottery. That the Avs have a ball. That the Stars have a ball. And so on.

The only teams who should be in the lottery at ALL are the ten or so teams with the worst records over the last three or four years.

What I want to know is why there are 48 balls in the lottery.  It seems to me that about half the teams in the league should have NO chance, even a 1/48 chance, of landing Crosby.  It's a travesty to me that the Red Wings have a ball in the lottery.  That the Avs have a ball.  That the Stars have a ball.  And so on.

The only teams who should be in the lottery at ALL are the ten or so teams with the worst records over the last three or four years.

381443[/snapback]

Don't forget with the salary cap, the Red Wings and others are going to be losing a few quality players, so they should have a chance at getting a potential quality player in return. I believe Detroit's payroll was about 77 Million, so they lose about 40 Million in salaries this year, thats gotta hurt.

You've lost your mind if you think the Sabres will get this kid. NOTHING good has ever happened randomly for Buffalo sports fans.

381496[/snapback]

Gilbert Perreault

You've lost your mind if you think the Sabres will get this kid. NOTHING good has ever happened randomly for Buffalo sports fans.

381496[/snapback]

In 1968 we were behind in the OJ Simpson sweepstakes to the Eagles. Remarkably, they were more pitiful than us and lost their first 11 games. But the Eagles amazingly lucked out in two of their last three games, and the Bills got the #1 pick at 1-12-1. The Eagles ended up with Leroy Keyes, one of the last players to play both ways if I recall, but who became a dud in the pros. We also lucked out in the Gilbert Perreault draft wheel. So every 35 or so years, we get random good luck. :D

If the Sabres win the Crosby sweepstakes, I personally will waste entirely too much time campaigning to put them back in actual hockey uniforms.

Or Sacrifice a cat.  Whichever is easier.

381291[/snapback]

And I'll be ready to help you either way.

Here kitty kitty kitty.....

Don't forget with the salary cap, the Red Wings and others are going to be losing a few quality players, so they should have a chance at getting a potential quality player in return.  I believe Detroit's payroll was about 77 Million, so they lose about 40 Million in salaries this year, thats gotta hurt.

381469[/snapback]

Yeah my heart bleeds for them.

Melrose was yapping yesterday how the NHL needs Crosby to go to the Rangers, and it would be great for the NHL to get this phenom into the leagues biggest market...so it wont surprise me at all when the Rangers win the lottery...just like Cleveland "winning" the Lebron lottery...

Knowing how the league screws themselves; I'm going to guess that Crosby ends up in Nashville.

381508[/snapback]

Or Phoenix...then we can blame it on the Gretzky conspiracy. It's bad enough there's a team her ein Atlanta...but in the desert?