Deal Done! NHL is finally back!

agilen

People who actually understand how great the game really is.  But feel free to continue 'tarding up the thread with your special brand of wisdom.

380775[/snapback]

my favorite post of the week, no, month!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but the NHLPA still has to ratify the deal. I hope it's just a formality, and nothing else will let this lockout continue.

380810[/snapback]

The player's know they don't have a choice. First, the NHLPA executive will sign off on the deal so only 50% of the players need to vote for it. Second, if the majority of players vote against it, I'm convinced most of the players who voted for it will leave the association and play in the NHL in the fall. At that point, the rest of the players would have to fall into line.

Good luck to the Sabres, but the Flames are ready and Iggy wants his Cup.

GAME ON.

The player's know they don't have a choice.  First, the NHLPA executive will sign off on the deal so only 50% of the players need to vote for it.  Second, if the majority of players vote against it, I'm convinced most of the players who voted for it will leave the association and play in the NHL in the fall.  At that point, the rest of the players would have to fall into line.

Good luck to the Sabres, but the Flames are ready and Iggy wants his Cup. 

GAME ON.

380845[/snapback]

Yup, as stated, if the players decide not to ratify this deal, things are going to get much worse for them before its all over...but i dont see a problem, they will ratify, and if they dont, that NHLPA will crumble with most players "crossing the line" so to speak...

Yup, as stated, if the players decide not to ratify this deal, things are going to get much worse for them before its all over...but i dont see a problem, they will ratify, and if they dont, that NHLPA will crumble with most players "crossing the line" so to speak...

380852[/snapback]

I'll bet that there are a lot of them whho are looking forward to spending another winter in Siberia, literally. :)

Seems I'm in error. Thanks for the correction. The two-line pass restriction to me adds much to the game, forcing team play, the pleasure of watching crisp passing and quick skate stops and positioning etc.

380661[/snapback]

you must be watching the Olympics, not the NHL.

The center red line in the NHL only promotes the trap and a lot of clutching and grabbing. No continuous flow to the game or any real skating or play making.

The center red line in the NHL only promotes the trap and a lot of clutching and grabbing. No continuous flow to the game or any real skating or play making.

380866[/snapback]

Disagree. Get rid of 2-line passing prohibition and you will populate the NHL with 160 lb "you touched me! you touched me! types", and the wheeling of defensemen, the forwards lurking on the boards to get a crisp pass and then fire a quick pass to a center who skates through the defense will be no more.

Hockey is meant to be a hard-fought contest played among hard men who play hard for a single score, not a da-ding!-da-ding! video game.

They have already done enough rule changes that have put the league deeply into the can - make it an instant-jolly shoot-out and kiss it goodbye.

Hockey is meant to be a hard-fought contest played among hard men who play hard for a single score, not a da-ding!-da-ding! video game.

380888[/snapback]

Wow. I thought I was conservative about hockey rules. Your definition of hockey and mine are VERY different - yours sounds like trench warfare to me.

My vision of hockey was shaped in the '70s with Les Canadiens and the '80s with the Battle of Alberta (damn Oilers :) ). For me hockey is a game of speed and skill and in the last ten or fifteen years I've seen very little of both.

Watching players battle in front of the net to slap at a loose puck for 15 seconds hoping it goes in has nothing to do with speed or skill. Lets see those 160lb guys fly through center ice and slip through old, tired defenseman no longer allowed to grab him by the jersey instead of using their geriatric hip.

Hitting that guy in stride moving through center ice without leading him to "death by defenseman" is tough.

Here is what I've seen in the last few years:

Slap the puck from behind your net to a winger sitting at the blue line who chips it by the defenseman and hopes a teammate picks it up, crosses the redline and dumps it deep. Opposite winger pressures the defenseman in the corner, followed by the center looking for a loose puck. 80% of the time the defenseman gets to the puck slaps it around the boards to his winger. Wash, rinse, repeat. If the forward gets the puck they throw it at the net hoping somebody can whack in a rebound. I admit it takes toughness to play but it's very boring hockey (to me).

Besides, if the new rules suck, get rid of them after the season. We already know the old rules suck.

Disagree. Get rid of 2-line passing prohibition and you will populate the NHL with 160 lb "you touched me! you touched me! types", and the wheeling of defensemen, the forwards lurking on the boards to get a crisp pass and then fire a quick pass to a center who skates through the defense will be no more.

They have already done enough rule changes that have put the league deeply into the can - make it an instant-jolly shoot-out and kiss it goodbye.

380888[/snapback]

Try watching a few higher level college games. By higher level, I mean the elite teams. There is no 2 line pass rule there and it really doesn't hurt the game at all.

Try watching a few higher level college games.  By higher level, I mean the elite teams.  There is no 2 line pass rule there and it really doesn't hurt the game at all.

380983[/snapback]

In fact, it opens things up on the power play. What you'll find in college is that a team on the power play will hang a guy around the other team's blue line. The defense has to respect the hanger because there is no two line pass rule, so you really can't kill off a power play by holding the puck down in their corner. It makes the attacking team get the puck in faster and get set up. Power plays in the NCAA tend to be a lot more exciting than most NHL power plays.

Try watching a few higher level college games.  By higher level, I mean the elite teams.  There is no 2 line pass rule there and it really doesn't hurt the game at all.

380983[/snapback]

In fact, it opens things up on the power play.  What you'll find in college is that a team on the power play will hang a guy around the other team's blue line.  The defense has to respect the hanger because there is no two line pass rule, so you really can't kill off a power play by holding the puck down in their corner.  It makes the attacking team get the puck in faster and get set up.  Power plays in the NCAA tend to be a lot more exciting than most NHL power plays.

380993[/snapback]

perfectly said...man i miss the days of watchin Clarkson hockey...

380983[/snapback]

Apples and oranges. Not too many of these players have NHL skating skills.

In fact, it opens things up on the power play.  What you'll find in college is that a team on the power play will hang a guy around the other team's blue line.  The defense has to respect the hanger because there is no two line pass rule, so you really can't kill off a power play by holding the puck down in their corner.  It makes the attacking team get the puck in faster and get set up.  Power plays in the NCAA tend to be a lot more exciting than most NHL power plays.

380993[/snapback]

The NHL, brought to you by MTV...what's next, five team valedictorians per the labor contract? :)

380888[/snapback]

I disagree and college hockey proves it. There are definitely length of the ice passes but there's still plenty of hitting.

If getting rid of 235 pound defensemen who can't skate or move the puck while killing dead the neutral zone trap is the product of removing the redline, I say do it and do it now. The "you touched me guys" are already all over the NHL - their names in things like "agr", "ov", "anne", etc. Friggin' Euros.

Give me a team of Western Canadians and Minnesota kids and I'll contend for Lord Stanley every season.

Seems I'm in error. Thanks for the correction. The two-line pass restriction to me adds much to the game, forcing team play, the pleasure of watching crisp passing and quick skate stops and positioning etc.

380661[/snapback]

I have mixed feelings about this. Sometimes, it seems like lesser teams (the great New Jersey Devils!) use the lines to slow the game down too much. I would hate to see it just a mess of two line passes, and cherry picking, but I wouldn't mind if they did something to modify the offsides rule. I know they have to establish what is off-sides, and what is not, but I can recall so many great offensive plays, over the years, being called back for them most marginal of off-sides infractions...if they could be so liberal (bad word!) as to allow a Hulls goal to count against the Sabres in the Stanley Cup friggin' finals, what is the harm in letting a minimal off-sides call go from time to time. I am not talking about feet, I am talking inches, or sometimes fractions of inches.

Remember Mike Foliginos incredible effort against Quebec, way back, to tie a playoff game up, and stave off elimination? I think it was around 1984 or so. It still kills me to this day! If he was offsides, it wasn't by more than an inch and a half...

Regardless, I am glad the game will be back!

I honestly wasn't prepared for another non-season. I'm so psyched for this.

Oh, and there was an article in the paper the other day asking how long it would take to win the fans back.

Well I was never gone. Yes, I was pissed, but if you're a real hockey fan, you can't just turn it off because you're mad at the owners and players.

And to those who say hockey died years ago because players wear helmets, or the clutching and grabbing, etc.... well, you still watch football and the helmets aren't made from leather anymore. Deal with it - you obviously weren't a big fan to begin with.

GO SABRES. F--- THE LEAFS!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hur...6900&cid=600111

380866[/snapback]

if you got rid if the center red line how would you know where the center of the rink was???? :D The chaos would be tremendous...

From espn.com:

9 players under contract totaling $9.1 million

The Sabres are nicely positioned to make a run at the Eastern Conference elite with a core of players that includes Chris Drury, Dmitri Kalinin, Derek Roy, and restricted free agents Miroslav Satan and Daniel Briere. Goaltending, a source of constant concern since the Sabres dealt Dominik Hasek in July 2001, might be stabilized by the emergence of Ryan Miller as a potential No. 1 NHL netminder who can challenge incumbents Mika Noronen and Martin Biron. The Sabres have long played a tight-checking, defense-first style under Lindy Ruff. Can Ruff make the adjustment to a wide-open style? Can GM Darcy Regier bring in the players to play such a game? New owner Tom Golisano is banking on the fact they can.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2106450&num=2

that's great news. i'd love to see kariya find his way to buffalo, but that's probably wishful thinking. i wouldn't mind mogilny coming back either, if it's on the cheap.