Deal Done! NHL is finally back!

agilen

I saw one interview with Gretzky where he described what made him different than other players and it obviously was not that he was a better physical specimen but that he saw so well and better than other players.  These are my words not his but I think Gretzky was playing a different game than his opponents because he literally saw a diffierent game.

Some this may be due to measurable physical aspects like him having better peripheral vision so he can literraly see players that we do not expect him to be able to see.  However, I think what made him special was that he combined this with a sense of the game so that he often made passes (with pinpoint accuracy) as though he had eyes in the back of his head to players there is now way he could see them when he made the pass.

The behind the net discussion reminded me of this conversation because once you combined his eyesight. with his sense of the game and with Ds respecting him so much that they had to give him room or risk embarrassment (I remember one game where he led the charge againt the Caps and the two defensemen kept backing up to be able to cover a man if he passed to the wings and they simply let him waltz into the slot where he beat the goaltender with an uncovered  wrist shot from the slot.

If the game changes and players have good eyesight and are given more room to use it some surprising things may happen.

The best players have "vision." It's where they can see things happening, almost as if in slow motion. Like once, I heard Ted Williams say he could read the label on a 78 RPM record (or maybe it was a 45?). That's impressive.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It adds scoring area.  The game didn't used to spend so much time below the goal line.  The extra 2 feet will give perimeter players an extra tick to make plays.

There is more skill in the NHL today than there was when Gretzky was dominating.  ALOT more.

381631[/snapback]

they should expand the area behind the net, but move the blue lines closer together and keep the offensive zone the same size since there won't be any center redline.