Tipping

I think you are talking about taxes (if not, then I have no idea what you are talking about).  That brings up a bigger point - the IRS has been cracking down on servers and now have them pay a minimum amount in tax based upon expected tips and not reported tips.

Therefore, they can actually pay taxes on money not earned from people who don't tip....

370422[/snapback]

I was talking about your fundraiser. There's bound to be a few restaurant folks on here somewhere. <_<

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" i will be right back with your change and i say you are all set .

370382[/snapback]

we are trained to never say "do you need change". We always assume they do and tell them we'll be back with it.

I've never heard of a tipping difference between regions of the country. I've heard military/ex-military were pretty reliable tippers. Any truth to that?

My wife grew up dirt poor in a country where tipping was not commonplace. She gets the whiteknuckles when it comes time to tip, so I have to always make sure the server isn't getting shafted. After all, they have to put up with our little heathens, too. If stuckincincy at the next table gets hit with anything from the food fights, I tip him, too. <_<

I was talking about your fundraiser. There's bound to be a few restaurant folks on here somewhere.  <_<

370424[/snapback]

We have only done that 2 times - once in 2002 and once in 2004.... so I guess that is why "yearly" didn't light my bulb.

and FWIW, I have told many posters who I know aren't flush with excess funds to hang on to their good intentions... :D

Interesting topic! I don't usually post but since I work as a skycap I thought I would give a little insight on the subject. The company I work for pays skycaps $2.13hr, not $5.15, $6, $8, or $10, but $2.13. Also we are not allowed to make it known we take tips, so we end up taking alot of stiffs. As long as I have been skycapping I have learned one thing that is universal for those who take tips, and that is some people are just too stingy to do so. They will make every excuse, argument, or stubborn attempt not to tip. Well since it was of my own doing that I chose to become a skycap this is something I must except. But for the life of me what I can't or won't understand is why these "neverwannatip'ers" don't take there bags inside and check in themselves - it's easy and tip free! As a skycap I wouldn't mind having only a few people check in with me but tipped me for my service. Eventually if nobody wanted to use skycap service because we take tips, then I would find another job. The company I work for has no medical plan, has no sick days, no insurance plan, one week paid vacation at $5.15 an hr, and we get the standard 30 min lunch break. So there are no frills, it's all about the money. If you don't want to tip me fine, you can check yourself in inside, but the people that want to use our service for free when they could do it themselves are aholes!

Interesting topic! I don't usually post but since I work as a skycap I thought I would give a little insight on the subject. The company I work for pays skycaps $2.13hr, not $5.15, $6, $8, or $10, but $2.13. Also we are not allowed to make it known we take tips, so we end up taking alot of stiffs. As long as I have been skycapping I have learned one thing that is universal for those who take tips, and that is some people are just too stingy to do so. They will make every excuse, argument, or stubborn attempt not to tip. Well since it was of my own doing that I chose to become a skycap this is something I must except. But for the life of me what I can't or won't understand is why these "neverwannatip'ers" don't take there bags inside and check in themselves - it's easy and tip free! As a skycap I wouldn't mind having only a few people check in with me but tipped me for my service. Eventually if nobody wanted to use skycap service because we take tips, then I would find another job. The company I work for has no medical plan, has no sick days, no insurance plan, one week paid vacation at $5.15 an hr, and we get the standard 30 min lunch break. So there are no frills, it's all about the money. If you don't want to tip me fine, you can check yourself in inside, but the people that want to use our service for free when they could do it themselves are aholes!

What is acceptable as a tip? I usually give a dollar a bag.

What is acceptable as a tip?  I usually give a dollar a bag.

370469[/snapback]

MBD a $1 a bag is very acceptable. $2 a bag if you feel like the cap helped a little more like taking the bags out of the car or giving you some time saving information. But $1 a bag is good.

Tipping in the US is an obsession. It's nuts. The guy outside the hotel whistles for a cab that is sitting at the curb outside the hotel and he expects a tip. That's insane. Someone grabs your bags (which happen to have wheels on them) to bring them to your room and is offended when you say you'll take them yourself. I'm not cheap, in fact my friends think I'm too generous sometimes. I have no problem leaving a generous tip for staff at dinner when the service warrants, but this nickle and diming for stuff that is a courtesy in most of the rest of the world is out of control. End rant.

370264[/snapback]

TOTALLY AGREE. And the damn American tourists over here have gotten people into a mindset where they expect a tip for the most ridiculous things.

370461[/snapback]

I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, but I've run across skycap's who get pretty pissed when you say you'll take your own bags. I can't see the point in having someone take my bags when I'm a able bodied male. I would assume they get pissed because that's one less possible tip but seriously, they provide a service I don't need or care for.

I was raised to do it yourself if you can. I don't even like eating out because I don't like being waited on, it has nothing to do with the tipping. Even with the curbside, I generally go in and get my food, burns some calories before I stuff my face. The only time I had them bring it to me I had my nephew in the car and obviously couldn't leave him.

Before I get lambasted again about these people who live off low wages, I know. I worked as a waiter in college. Some people were cheap, some very generous and others I could tell that the meal was a special treat for them, one that is out of their everyday means. I never expected a tip but was always pleased when I received one. If I didn't want to try and live off tips I would have gone and worked at Wegmans or in a student job at the college. I knew what kind of service I could provide though and I knew it would get me more.

I agree tipping is good practice, but some people forget it's not required. It's personal opinion whether you feel the person deserves a tip or not. In general , some are more generous then others, but don't judge those who tip 5% less then you may, you don't know their own means. Being judgemental is worse then stiffing a tip.

TOTALLY AGREE. And the damn American tourists over here have gotten people into a mindset where they expect a tip for the most ridiculous things.

370490[/snapback]

Just a heads up for anyone heading to London or other parts of the UK. If you are standing at the bar and getting your drinks from the bartender, no tip is expected. However, if a server brings them to you than a tip is expected.

Just a heads up for anyone heading to London or other parts of the UK. If you are standing at the bar and getting  your drinks from the bartender, no tip is expected. However, if a server brings them to you than a tip is expected.

370545[/snapback]

A perfectly nice and funky pub on my road just recently installed table service... The barman is always busy doing anything BUT serving if you head to the bar, but if you sit down someone is at your table before your butt hits the seat. No I don't want to be served at my table for beer, and I sure as hell don't want to have 12.5% added on to my bill automatically when they bring me my tab.... It's a pub - you go to the bar and pay per drink - why change that? grrrr <_<

A perfectly nice and funky pub on my road just recently installed table service... The barman is always busy doing anything BUT serving if you head to the bar, but if you sit down someone is at your table before your butt hits the seat. No I don't want to be served at my table for beer, and I sure as hell don't want to have 12.5% added on to my bill automatically when they bring me my tab.... It's a pub - you go to the bar and pay per drink - why change that? grrrr <_<

370548[/snapback]

Nick, where are you in the London. I will probably be there beginning of August. My office is in Maidenhead, but am thinking of staying in London next time if I can find a hotel for less than $250 a night near Paddington(i know, good luck). We should get together and have a few pops next time I'm there

Nick, where are you in the London. I will probably be there beginning of August. My office is in Maidenhead, but am thinking of staying in London next time if I can find a hotel for less than $250 a night near Paddington(i know, good luck). We should get together and have a few pops next time I'm there

370553[/snapback]

I live in South London (Streatham) but I work in Westminster, right in the center of town...

Depends when you over though - I will be out of town from 6 August to 21 August... Any other time and it'd be great to swill a few pints.

370553[/snapback]

If you're looking for a place to stay, my wife and I HIGHLY recommend Scala House:

http://www.scala-house.co.uk/

We stayed there for our honeymoon and it was great. You get a full kitchen, living roomm, two bedrooms, 1.5 baths, it's right around the corner from Goodge St (a tube station), kitty-corner from an AWESOME fish and chips place. Very nice.

You can take the tube to Paddington station if you want. <_<

And the maids there apparantly don't expect to be tipped, because we left money out for them and they never took it... :D

You can even schedule to have a cab driver pick you up at the airport and they have a sign with your name on it (like you're a VIP or something). He did take a tip, and was even happy that it was US currency (we obviously had no UK money at the time) since he was going to visit California for a month the following week.

CW

The skycap's post sums this all up pretty honestly.

I read this...

The company I work for pays skycaps $2.13hr, not $5.15, $6, $8, or $10, but $2.13. The company I work for has no medical plan, has no sick days, no insurance plan, one week paid vacation at $5.15 an hr, and we get the standard 30 min lunch break. So there are no frills, it's all about the money.
and the first thing that comes into my mind is: This is the best job you can find? You're making enough money to live? Do you report your tips to the government?

Followed by, at least, some true understanding of his job and the role it plays at the company for which he works:

...why these "neverwannatip'ers" don't take there bags inside and check in themselves - it's easy and tip free! If you don't want to tip me fine, you can check yourself in inside, but the people that want to use our service for free when they could do it themselves are aholes!
Thanks for being honest about it.

If the service was really really horrible, tip 2 cents. This tells the server that you were PO'd not that you may have forgotten the tip. At one restraunt, we gave the server the credit card to pay and they didn't return for over 30 minutes. So we left 2 cents.

At a high level, consider it a victory of the "entitlement society" over the "ownership society". Used to be you'd see the people with cup in hand on the street, not at the counter of a take-out joint.

Ok, I'll bring up a tipping topic. If a place charges a delivery fee, should that be reflected in the amoount of tip you give?

For example, if I order two pizzas for delivery ($20), and the place charges a $1 delivery fee, how much extra should I tip?

I usually tip $1-$2/pizza, but I do usually subtract the delivery fee from my tip. Am I being stingy? What do others do?

CW