Tipping

Just wanted to know what, if anything, people tipped for so-called "curbside" service? I don't think 15% is necessary and I was fine with just going in to pick it up and not tip at all, but now that they bring it to you, I feel obligated to tip. <_<

BTW, no need to move this thread. I'll delete it once it dies down.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I work as a server in a restaurant. We get a 2.13 an hour wage plus whatever tips we make. The curbside people make about 6 bucks an hour plus whatever tips they make. Combining the fact that they make more an hour than a server and that they don't do a whole lot of work, I would say a 5-10 percent tip is more than enough.

If it matters, there's a place called Carey Hilliards in Savannah, GA. I've eaten many a meal from them, great fried chicken and shrimps. I always tipped a dollar and whatever change was left, under two total. Average meal price was about $12-$13 bucks for two. I usually tip 20% at a sit in, unless things were really screwed up, but I never got complaints on roughly 10% at the drive up. If they brought me a Bud on the side on a Sunday, I usually tipped two more.

I'll walk in to get my food before I tip a curbside server. What's next, tipping the drive thru at McDonalds?

370207[/snapback]

Typical callous Yankee. Y'all just don't get how things work in the South.

I'll walk in to get my food before I tip a curbside server. What's next, tipping the drive thru at McDonalds?

370207[/snapback]

Yeah it's getting pretty ridiculous with tipping for everything. The worst though is some people don't think they should tip at all even if they sit down and eat at the restaurant. I don't know if they don't know or don't care that we get paid by tips, but for whatever reason they don't feel like it.

Yeah it's getting pretty ridiculous with tipping for everything.  The worst though is some people don't think they should tip at all even if they sit down and eat at the restaurant.  I don't know if they don't know or don't care that we get paid by tips, but for whatever reason they don't feel like it.

370214[/snapback]

Or maybe they think you did a crappy job and don't deserve a tip? <_<

CW

The worst though is some people don't think they should tip at all even if they sit down and eat at the restaurant. I don't know if they don't know or don't care that we get paid by tips, but for whatever reason they don't feel like it.

They may come from a country where there is little or no tipping.

Or maybe they think you did a crappy job and don't deserve a tip? <_<

CW

370216[/snapback]

Haha, sometimes it may be true, but there are plenty of times where you know the customer is happy but they still tip nothing or next to nothing. I guess just some people were never taught or like aussie said, came from somewhere where tipping isn't commonplace.

Haha, sometimes it may be true, but there are plenty of times where you know the customer is happy but they still tip nothing or next to nothing.  I guess just some people were never taught or like aussie said, came from somewhere where tipping isn't commonplace.

370221[/snapback]

Move south. People appreciate service and have manners there. Not all, but more likely you will find some. Much more than the "friendly" North.

Typical callous Yankee. Y'all just don't get how things work in the South.

370211[/snapback]

Yeah. You southerners are really good at making other people run your errands, like bringing food out to your car. Only now you can't exclusively give the chores to black people. And you have to pay them. But other than that...<_<

370207[/snapback]

I just went through researching this because everything is curbside these days in MD.

The bottom line is that the curbside people should be tipped. They do more than just carry the food to you and give you change. They take your order, with all your hold X and extra Y and substitute Z requests. Then the pack it appropriately in all the to-go containers, making sure you have your side salads, bread, utensils, napkins, chips, dressings, and condiments. They do this for 1, 2, or 10 people per order.

That is worth a couple of bucks or more depending on the size of your order.

In fact, curbside service has nothing to do with the tipping. If you go inside and pick it up they should receive the same kindness for busting their hump to prepare your meal, so you can pick up and go.

Oh, and don't think you aren't getting a spitter when you regularly stiff the to-go staff at your favorite place... The servers talk and they remember faces and names.

In fact, curbside service has nothing to do with the tipping.  If you go inside and pick it up they should receive the same kindness for busting their hump to prepare your meal, so you can pick up and go.

Serious question -- why don't you tip Taco Bell, Burger King, McDonalds? They make the food, same as people at Chili's, TGI Friday, etc?

CW

Yeah. You southerners are really good at making other people run your errands, like bringing food out to your car. Only now you can't exclusively give the chores to black people. And you have to pay them. But other than that...<_<

370232[/snapback]

He just likes the moonshine and that whole "toothpaste optional" lifestyle...

Serious question -- why don't you tip Taco Bell, Burger King, McDonalds?  They make the food, same as people at Chili's, TGI Friday, etc?

CW

370240[/snapback]

For that matter, why not tip the guy who changed your oil, or filled your propane tank? They busted their hump, too. In fact, I'm bustin' my hump posting in this thread. Anyone got a tip for me?

Yeah it's getting pretty ridiculous with tipping for everything.  The worst though is some people don't think they should tip at all even if they sit down and eat at the restaurant.  I don't know if they don't know or don't care that we get paid by tips, but for whatever reason they don't feel like it.

370214[/snapback]

What pisses me off is people who think a tip is mandatory. A tip is for good service, not because you make peanuts (not you personally.)

There has only been one time in my life I haven't left a tip at a restaurant and it was only because the server was horrid. Even with bad servie I generally leave a little. Great service and you'll get 20% from me.

I just went through researching this because everything is curbside these days in MD.

The bottom line is that the curbside people should be tipped.  They do more than just carry the food to you and give you change.  They take your order, with all your hold X and extra Y and substitute Z requests.  Then the pack it appropriately in all the to-go containers, making sure you have your side salads, bread, utensils, napkins, chips, dressings, and condiments.  They do this for 1, 2, or 10 people per order.

That is worth a couple of bucks or more depending on the size of your order.

In fact, curbside service has nothing to do with the tipping.  If you go inside and pick it up they should receive the same kindness for busting their hump to prepare your meal, so you can pick up and go.

Oh, and don't think you aren't getting a spitter when you regularly stiff the to-go staff at your favorite place...  The servers talk and they remember faces and names.

370236[/snapback]

I've never actually ordered curbside, just called ahead and picked it up.

But seriously, where is the line drawn. You don't tip a fast food joint, they prepare your meals and bust their hump putting your order together. Isn't curbside in reality just glorified fast food? So they walk 5 feet out the door.

Waiting on me and providing good service for 30 minutes deserves a tip in my mind, not bringing food to my car. Like I said, if it's proper to tip them I'll be happy to go inside.

Tipping in the US is an obsession. It's nuts. The guy outside the hotel whistles for a cab that is sitting at the curb outside the hotel and he expects a tip. That's insane. Someone grabs your bags (which happen to have wheels on them) to bring them to your room and is offended when you say you'll take them yourself. I'm not cheap, in fact my friends think I'm too generous sometimes. I have no problem leaving a generous tip for staff at dinner when the service warrants, but this nickle and diming for stuff that is a courtesy in most of the rest of the world is out of control. End rant.