Tipping

I couldn't believe that hotel room cleaners (formerly: maids) even get tips! I mean, where does it end?

they've been tipping maids as long as they've been tipping waiters, you've been a cheapskate for many years!! (though I'd bet only 50% of the people leave tips in a hotel - you don't have to face the person you stiff!)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they've been tipping maids as long as they've been tipping waiters, you've been a cheapskate for many years!! (though I'd bet only 50% of the people leave tips in a hotel - you don't have to face the person you stiff!)

370373[/snapback]

It's way less than 50%; more like ~20% (at least in the Holiday Inn and Quality Inn that my mom used to work at).

CW

10% for everyone would be less than the 15-20% (and now I've read places that say 25%) that is recommended to tip.  The difference would be that 15-20% tippers wouldn't be subsidizing the 0% tippers.

Uh oh, is this going to push it into the PPP forum? <_<

CW

370345[/snapback]

You're hurting your head on this one. Tipping is Americana. The Euro's that add to your tab dont give a flying !@#$ about you. Here, as I'm sure you know, if the service and Food is good, 20-25%. Pretty simple really. I've been to Europe many times. Its one of the first questions I ask, If they add a tip on to the bill, Be prepared Boy Scout......... :D

i tip 20 % most times at sit downs mostly because they make less than min. i do not leave a tip at sub way or other fast food places . hotels mostly give 5 dollars per night . the college kids that work for me this summer have gotten tips from people whos decks they have stained . one lady gave them each a 100 dollars this spring . a lot of times they get 5 or 10 .------------------ one thing i hate the most is when people ask " do you need change " i hate that .---------- it sounds so much better when they say " i will be right back with your change and i say you are all set .

...i do not leave a tip at sub way or other fast food places...

Again playing devil's advocate, why not? Are they making more than others, get more benes, what? And I'm not asking just you, since I know that no one tips them.

Like I said, I (now) tip everyone who expects to be tipped (and if I'm missing a few, sue me for not knowing what everyone makes on-the-books, although I guess that if I did I should also know what they make off-the-books), and I tip pretty well. I just think that we can extend this to include everyone in the service industry, even the fast food workers.

The Euro's that add to your tab dont give a flying !@#$ about you.

From our two weeks in London (and surrounding cities), our service was 10X that of most American restaurants...

Maybe that was because it was a month after 9/11.

CW

Wow.  Lotsa smart people asking some pretty self-evident questions...  You all should just put down your lame arguments and just come out and say you are too cheap to give someone $2 for a service they are NOT compensated for by the restaurant.

You tip your oil change guy when he makes $2/hr.  You tip your propane guy when he makes $2/hr.  You tip the guy at McDonalds when he makes $2/hr.  You tip ANY person whose income is structured by employer and by social contract to include tips.  It's really not that hard of a concept.  I'm not certain where all this "ambiguity" of where the tipping starts and ends is coming from.... (actually I do, see paragraph #1).

The to-go person probably does 90% of the job as the sit-down staff does.  Other than a few drink refills, maybe an odd butter/new fork request, or maybe a recommendation from  the wine list - the job is the same.  Take your order accurately, put it together in a presentable manner, fill any special requests, and accept payment.  Yet one gets 15-20% and the other gets stiffed?  :D

If you are too lazy to make it yourself and you can afford $35 to get take-out at nicer restaurant - you can afford $2 to pay the person making less than minimum wage who served you behind the scenes.  If not - enjoy the extra "sauce" in your mashed potatoes....  :lol:

370339[/snapback]

Ofiba earlier in the thread said the to go people get $6 an hour. If that's true, according to your theory there is no need to tip them. Care to rework that arguement? <_<

Again playing devil's advocate, why not?  Are they making more than others, get more benes, what?  And I'm not asking just you, since I know that no one tips them.

370389[/snapback]

Because it is neither expected by the worker, the employer, nor the customer.

when we where down south for my brother inlaws wedding we order pizza at the hotel , we got 4 12 cuts bill was around 40 dollars gave the man a 15 dollar tip . he was like wow never got a tip that big .

From our two weeks in London (and surrounding cities), our service was 10X that of most American restaurants...

Maybe that was because it was a month after 9/11.

CW

370393[/snapback]

Could have been, nice point.

Now they'd just as soon screw us in the ass. They dont have hot pockets, they have hot croissants. <_<

Ofiba earlier in the thread said the to go people get $6 an hour. If that's true, according to your theory there is no need to tip them. Care to rework that arguement?  <_<

370397[/snapback]

No. I guess you got me. Someone in some restaurant makes $6/hr so I guess you are justified in not providing a tip to any takeout person anywhere. It's comforting to know they are making that kinda jack. I almost wish that share a little of that wealth with me!

From a tipping board:

"I do curbside for Outback Steakhouse and I admit it is a really good job, especially for teenagers. We get paid 4.25 and hour and that is determined by our manager/owner. The rate varies from all over the country. Curbside at my store makes up atleast 1/4 of our business. So we are usually always busy. We are very grateful when people tip. Because are getting paid below minimum wage, we package food, we take orders, we bring them to car and we cash the customers out. Alot of people dont realize the amount of work we actually do. I think thats why many hesitate to tip. Tippin 10% is almost the perfect amount because it makes up for the cheap asses that dont tip. It drives us nuts when people have specialized orders and they want seperate bags, seperate checks seperate everything and it ends up being like a 100$ order and they dont tip anything. I take pride in my job and i work hard to satisfy the customers so a little tip couldnt hurt every once in awhile. The job really does get stressful though and very difficult."

http://www.tipping.org/discus4/messages/9/...html?1118819224

If you want to pride yourself on treating the lower end of economic earners in the way you suggest than that is up to you. However, there are some who see some wise words written by BiB. I have never heard the words "classless" and "good tipper" used in the same sentence...

They do that about once a year last I checked.  <_<

370419[/snapback]

I think you are talking about taxes (if not, then I have no idea what you are talking about). That brings up a bigger point - the IRS has been cracking down on servers and now have them pay a minimum amount in tax based upon expected tips and not reported tips.

Therefore, they can actually pay taxes on money not earned from people who don't tip....