Tipping

I couldn't believe that hotel room cleaners (formerly: maids) even get tips!

Actually, I think that's gotta be one of the hardest jobs out there; my mom used to do that when I was a kid, and it KILLS your body. I helped her a couple of times and it sucked. <_<

On top of the normal rooms, you'd be shocked (or maybe not...) how many people absolutely trash their hotel rooms, and the maids need to clean that all up. Puke, trash, beer bottles, cig butts, everything. It's gross, it's hard, and they only make minimum wage with no benefits. Disgusting, when you consider how much the hotels charge for the rooms.

Sorry, but that one hit close to home.

CW

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I've got a tip for you.

Don't eat the brown acid.

370290[/snapback]

Too late. <_<
Too bad they only leave 3 seconds to record after eating up the tape with their painfully slow greeting.
Hey, y'all. You've reach the reseedence of the Hobarts. We're afeared that not no one can git to phone rightchet. Not Mary Jane, Bubba Joe, Cletus, Ola Mae, Jim Bob, Joe Bob, Billy Bob or Billy Joe. But if you let us know just who you is, I reckon one 'a us'll call ya back faster 'n a gopher can get popped on da haid by paw for chompin' on them cucumbers in the yard we been growin' for lo so many months. And they ain't the chewy kinda cucumbers, but the real nice kond dat you can cut whicher own finger...BEEEEEEEEEP.

Actually, I think that's gotta be one of the hardest jobs out there; my mom used to do that when I was a kid, and it KILLS your body.  I helped her a couple of times and it sucked. <_<

On top of the normal rooms, you'd be shocked (or maybe not...) how many people absolutely trash their hotel rooms, and the maids need to clean that all up.  Puke, trash, beer bottles, cig butts, everything.  It's gross, it's hard, and they only make minimum wage with no benefits.  Disgusting, when you consider how much the hotels charge for the rooms.

CW

370309[/snapback]

Some of us understand that, and that's why we tip.

Hey, y'all. You've reach the reseedence of the Hobarts. We're afeared that not no one can git to phone rightchet. Not Mary Jane, Bubba Joe, Cletus, Ola Mae, Jim Bob, Joe Bob, Billy Bob or Billy Joe. But if you let us know just who you is, I reckon one 'a us'll call ya back faster 'n a gopher can get popped on da haid by paw for chompin' on them cucumbers in the yard we been growin' for lo so many months. And they ain't the chewy kinda cucumbers, but the real nice kond dat you can cut whicher own finger...BEEEEEEEEEP.

370317[/snapback]

<_<:D

Wow. Lotsa smart people asking some pretty self-evident questions... You all should just put down your lame arguments and just come out and say you are too cheap to give someone $2 for a service they are NOT compensated for by the restaurant.

You tip your oil change guy when he makes $2/hr. You tip your propane guy when he makes $2/hr. You tip the guy at McDonalds when he makes $2/hr. You tip ANY person whose income is structured by employer and by social contract to include tips. It's really not that hard of a concept. I'm not certain where all this "ambiguity" of where the tipping starts and ends is coming from.... (actually I do, see paragraph #1).

The to-go person probably does 90% of the job as the sit-down staff does. Other than a few drink refills, maybe an odd butter/new fork request, or maybe a recommendation from the wine list - the job is the same. Take your order accurately, put it together in a presentable manner, fill any special requests, and accept payment. Yet one gets 15-20% and the other gets stiffed? <_<

If you are too lazy to make it yourself and you can afford $35 to get take-out at nicer restaurant - you can afford $2 to pay the person making less than minimum wage who served you behind the scenes. If not - enjoy the extra "sauce" in your mashed potatoes.... :D

Actually, I think that's gotta be one of the hardest jobs out there; my mom used to do that when I was a kid, and it KILLS your body.  I helped her a couple of times and it sucked. <_<

On top of the normal rooms, you'd be shocked (or maybe not...) how many people absolutely trash their hotel rooms, and the maids need to clean that all up.  Puke, trash, beer bottles, cig butts, everything.  It's gross, it's hard, and they only make minimum wage with no benefits.  Disgusting, when you consider how much the hotels charge for the rooms.

Don't get me wrong. When I learned that other people tip them, and I realized what you said above, I started tipping. It's just that I was astounded when I learned that people DID tip them. Like I said, in the restaurant biz it's been accepted for decades.

On the flip-side though, I guess any job in the service sector could be open to tipping. But where do we draw the line? Should I as a consumer be reponsible for tossing a bone to someone getting the min from their employer? Should I be responsible for knowing what everyone makes and what benes they get? Should I tip my doctor if he does a good job, or not because he makes too much? Should he expect a tip? I don't know.

Delete it fast Fezmid thinks its ok that they add 10% . Kill it!

370322[/snapback]

10% for everyone would be less than the 15-20% (and now I've read places that say 25%) that is recommended to tip. The difference would be that 15-20% tippers wouldn't be subsidizing the 0% tippers.

Uh oh, is this going to push it into the PPP forum? <_<

CW

Don't get me wrong.  When I learned that other people tip them, and I realized what you said above, I started tipping.  It's just that I was astounded when I learned that people DID tip them.  Like I said, in the restaurant biz it's been accepted for decades. 

On the flip-side though, I guess any job in the service sector could be open to tipping.  But where do we draw the line?  Should I as a consumer be reponsible for tossing a bone to someone getting the min from their employer?  Should I be responsible for knowing what everyone makes and what benes they get?  Should I tip my doctor if he does a good job, or not because he makes too much?  Should he expect a tip?  I don't know.

370342[/snapback]

Here's your answer:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...g=UTF8&v=glance

<_<

CW

Don't get me wrong.  When I learned that other people tip them, and I realized what you said above, I started tipping.  It's just that I was astounded when I learned that people DID tip them.  Like I said, in the restaurant biz it's been accepted for decades. 

On the flip-side though, I guess any job in the service sector could be open to tipping.  But where do we draw the line?  Should I as a consumer be reponsible for tossing a bone to someone getting the min from their employer?  Should I be responsible for knowing what everyone makes and what benes they get?  Should I tip my doctor if he does a good job, or not because he makes too much?  Should he expect a tip?  I don't know.

370342[/snapback]

Maybe you should judge the service you get, and knowing the situation, act accordingly. Whatever is accordingly for you. If you don't get that waiters and housemaids and many others don't make crap for money, you're missing something.

Be glad you are in a position to think about whether to tip, or not.

Maybe you should judge the service you get, and knowing the situation, act accordingly. Whatever is accordingly for you. If you don't get that waiters and housemaids and many others don't make crap for money, you're missing something.

Yeah I get it. But like I said, should I be responsible for giving them what their employers don't? Where are THEIR unions/reps? And why not tip the fast-food workers, who likewise make crap and perform a service?

Be glad you are in a position to think about whether to tip, or not.

I am, and I try to do my best. That's why I STARTED this thread.

370342[/snapback]

Those are good questions and all a part of becoming "grown up". Not saying you're a kid, but this is stuff that you learn along the way as you get older. Certain services assume tipping as part of their compensation. If you don't agree with it - then don't accept someone's service when their compensation is based upon tips.

The bottom line is if somoeone wants to take a stand against tipping - the only people they are hurting are the people making essentially nothing. They are holding up their end of the social contract, yet others want to bail on their obligation. As Fez pointed out - the only way around it is to involuntarily pay MORE for your meal regardless of service. Either way, there is no free lunch...

Yeah I get it.  But like I said, should I be responsible for giving them what their employers don't?  Where are THEIR unions/reps?  And why not tip the fast-food workers, who likewise make crap and perform a service? 

I am, and I try to do my best.  That's why I STARTED this thread.

370358[/snapback]

Ooh, unionized restaraunts. That'd be spectacular.

"I'd like a bowl of soup."

"Sorry, we're on strike."

The to-go person probably does 90% of the job as the sit-down staff does.  Other than a few drink refills, maybe an odd butter/new fork request, or maybe a recommendation from  the wine list - the job is the same.  Take your order accurately, put it together in a presentable manner, fill any special requests, and accept payment.  Yet one gets 15-20% and the other gets stiffed?  <_<

370339[/snapback]

The togo person makes about 3 times in base wages what the serves makes though. That should make the necessary tip a bit lower.

Yeah I get it.  But like I said, should I be responsible for giving them what their employers don't?  Where are THEIR unions/reps?  And why not tip the fast-food workers, who likewise make crap and perform a service? 

I am, and I try to do my best.  That's why I STARTED this thread.

370358[/snapback]

The employers don't give them adequate compensation BECAUSE of the tips they get. It is assumed in certain lines of work. There aren't that many of them, so it isn't that big of a burden.

The togo person makes about 3 times in base wages what the serves makes though.  That should make the necessary tip a bit lower.

370361[/snapback]

That's right. Like I said - $2 for a couple. Not an onerous amount. I'm not certain that the togo person always makes 3x the amount though across all restaurants. It is still lower than fast food though.