Strawberry Rhubarb pie

Imagine my surprise on Father's Day, when dessert was served and it was Strawberry Rhubarb pie. It is usually shortcake or regular cake. Turns out Nikki (my middle girl) made sure her siblings got this for me - special order from a bakery. She is finishing up in Brooklyn and could not make it home.

Of everyone in the family, only she remembers my favorite pie. This is a special "kid" because that is one of her most unique qualties, remembering something special about the people she cares about, and tossing them a delightful surprise every now and then. :doh:

The sun is shining, I am eating the last piece of Strawberry Rhubarb pie and for at least the next ten minutes all will be perfect in my world. :doh:

Because someone remembered my favorite pie. Must be a lesson there somewhere!

That is, without question, my favorite pie in the world. I grew up eating raw stalks of rhubarb as a kid, and making a pie out of it with strawberries was a stroke of genius. Yes, I am jealous. And I hope my son grows up to remember these details.

I just made a batch of s-r jam from what's in my backyard. I make the pies from scratch from an old Amish recipe (tho I think Mrs. Lapp is on the Crisco payroll).

Garrison Keillor says that the key to a good rhubarb pie is to add 6 cups more sugar than the amount you think you need to add to make it really, really sweet. :doh:

That is, without question, my favorite pie in the world. I grew up eating raw stalks of rhubarb as a kid, and making a pie out of it with strawberries was a stroke of genius. Yes, I am jealous. And I hope my son grows up to remember these details.

366840[/snapback]

Sorry LA, but I read your post, then saw your avatar, and realized that the only thing that could make your kid better than remembering your favorite pie, is remembering your favorites ya-ya's, and bringing you a pair for father's day.

Rhubarb is very hardy...I 've a 4-year old bunch. Full sun is best, they say, but mine does ok with a four or five hours per day in the summer. Buy stalk plants, and let the plants freeze over. I bet you could grow this stuff in a drainage ditch...

The foilage is inedible. If you have an acid loving plant like an azalea, toss a few of the leaves there.

The sun is shining, I am eating the last piece of Strawberry Rhubarb pie and for at least the next ten minutes all will be perfect in my world.  :doh:

Because someone remembered my favorite pie. Must be a lesson there somewhere!

366801[/snapback]

That's nice!

I love strawberry rhubarb pie. Of course, I'm not allowed to eat it. It is high in oxylates, and oxylates cause kidney stones in those prone to them. I, unfortunatly, am prone to them. So eat the hell out of that pie!

TOP 5 PIES:

1. Pecan

2. Lemon Meringue

3. Strawberry Rhubarb

4. Raspberry

5. Pumpkin

WORST PIE:

Mince

366961[/snapback]

1. Apple Pie (this is America!)

2. Key Lime Pie

3. Blueberry Pie

4. Chocolate Cream Pie

5. Pumpkin Pie

I am on my way down to the farmers market and am gonna pick up a couple pies

YUCK! Strawberry Rhubarb pie is most definetly NOT on my list of yummy pies. My family ate it all the time growing up, and it was all I could do to not yack all over the table.

You can have my slice next time Rock....

TOP 5 PIES:

1. Pecan

2. Lemon Meringue

3. Strawberry Rhubarb

4. Raspberry

5. Pumpkin

WORST PIE:

Mince

366961[/snapback]

Mince pie is awesome... Man I love Xmas when mince pies are around...

My top 5 is:

1. Apple

2. Pecan

3. Rhubarb

4. Cherry

5. Pear

Still, Rocks pie sounds goooood.

So Rock- I went down to the Farmers market and picked up a strawberry rhubarb pie because this thread. I have never had a strawberry rhubarb pie-its delicious! I also picked up a blueberry pie too. Pies are awesome! Thanks for the tip

personally i think straight rhubarb pie is better than strawberry-rhubarb. the strawberries are too sweet and overpower the great natural taste of the rhubarb.

that all said....rhubarb pie is my #1 FOOD.....not just #1 pie

mmm...time to make pie