Strawberry Rhubarb pie

Because someone remembered my favorite pie. Must be a lesson there somewhere!

366801[/snapback]

For my birthday last year (I don't have them anymore) - a heavy box came from Florida from my daughter. It was a strange occurence and unexpected.

A little history - in my extended family, no matter whose house there was always the dictionary - a hulking 10-20 pound monster that was the ultimate authority for all homework, disputes and Scrabble (later Boggle) games.

My daughter was raised on our monster and learned to hate it because we would never spell or define things for her - she was always told - "Go look it up."

The PC age surplanted the dictionary but the book was always there. I usually kept it next to the PC desk for easy reference. Then the new dog came along - never chewed a shoe in its' life - loves kleenex, eats flowers of its' choice and has shown a propensity for old books. We suspect that the smell of the old glue in the binding is a beagle aphrodisiac because there have been a few literary victims. The old dictionary was one - a good chunk of the letters G - K were missing one day.

When the big move to California happened - the old dictionary was a casualty - not worth moving.

Then, Rock - just like your daughter - mine paid attention and in that box - was an old, used 20 lb monster from a flea market. It may not have "blog" or "cellphone" in it - but I can look up "coelentererates" and the correct definition of inflammable. It's not on the floor anymore.

A pie would have been good too - but I know her cooking skills :doh:

The same daughter just bought a condo in Florida and very soon she gets a dictionary (paper) in the mail - she won't use it but it can always hold a coffee cup !

Sorry for long winded - but sometimes kids surprise you .