Dial Comes to Town

36 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Kept Gramp's attention!

But barely! 😆 

I was holding my breath at the end... Thought Gramps was gonna pull a "Tyler Bass" at the end and pooch that rotary thing!

I must admit, I didn’t make it to the end. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

SpoilerAlert:

Grumpy Gramps sneaks off and dials to his BFF while the rest of the family peaks around the corner of the hallway impressed that Gramps is learning the new tech.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Unlike rotary phones, you have a mouse and cursor where you can move to the end of the video and get all the juicy goodness.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Wacka said:

Until the mid 60s we had a party line and our number started with TX (89).

I grew up more rural than you did.  We had a party line into the early 70’s. It’s wild to think how the technology has changed. You can pretty much direct dial anyone on the planet 24 hours per day from nearly anywhere. It’s such a simple concept and so easily thought of as nothing to think about. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/19/2024 at 1:50 PM, Augie said:

I didn’t know @Chandler#81 made films when he was younger!   :)

He sure is a chatty Cathy with his BFF.  I love how he cleared the party line of eavesdropping by saying a sky-writing plane was going through town... Got everyone off the phone and onto their porches! Cleaned up the static on the line too!

Gramps is a tech wiz kid! 😆 

When I was in the cub scouts in the late 60's, they took us to a local exchange building  to see how it worked. Those racks in the film had hundreds of small golf club  shaped "levers" in each one that clicked into place when making a connection in the circutry (this was before the push button phone days). Boy, it was noisy in there.