2024 Draft Embedded--Has Dropped.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And then Beane took the running back..... because Beandon runs personnel not McDermott.

We don’t hear the full context … perhaps the underling has suggested taking someone else after Davis and McD is setting him straight…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

My key take aways:

1. Impressed with Keon's knowledge of the game and coverages. For someone who has only focussed on football the last 3 years he talked ball impressively.

2. No secret I thought they reached a bit on DeWayne Carter. But as I always say the bits the amateurs can't know is the interviews and the person. Love his attitude, love him turning up in a suit. I once turned up in a suit for an interview at a sports shop back when I was a student. It's about being professional at whatever you do. Yea, he's my kinda guy. 

3. The chemistry and trust between Beane, Gray and Gaine has clearly developed. That first year that Schoen and Morgan left I remember watching the draft videos and feeling really strongly that Beane looked isolated. Still to an extent last year you felt like it was all on him. This year felt more like it was previously, he has his top two lieutenants in place and he can trust them and feels more relaxed.

4. Laura Pegula being featured was interesting to me. Given what has been written about the fact that she (Terry's eldest daughter from his first marriage)is increasingly powerful in the organisation in Kim's absence. Succession wise it bears watching.

5. I don't think there was any grand plan when they started moving down from #28 to draft Coleman. It felt much more like "no firsts left let's focus instead on recouping that 3rd rounder and then see where we are left" but equally it is clear that as night one ended there was no re-stacking the board they knew Keon was their pick. 

• Like (+1) 11

Always interesting to see the operation although they give you little in terms of internal discussions among major players (Beane, McD, Brady, Babbich, Kromer, etc.) about each draftee.  

One comment I did find interesting by Pegula was something along the lines is the draft is boring when you're really good every year.  The leash for Beane and McDermott is long enough to where they at least will be here when the new stadium opens barring a total collapse the next two seasons.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My key take aways:

5. I don't think there was any grand plan when they started moving down from #28 to draft Coleman. It felt much more like "no firsts left let's focus instead on recouping that 3rd rounder and then see where we are left" but equally it is clear that as night one ended there was no re-stacking the board they knew Keon was their pick. 

Beane didn't even flinch when KC took Worthy so I'm guessing he knew that's who they were picking and the Bills had no interest in him.  Same goes with Carolina and Lagette although their affinity for him was the worst kept secret this draft cycle.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, Dr Krentist said:

If I heard correctly, he had the most sacks last year. Why did he drop to the 5th round?

FBS school, small size, not much of a run player. 

But MAN he can rush the passer.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

We don’t hear the full context … perhaps the underling has suggested taking someone else after Davis and McD is setting him straight…

We all watch these things every year, and yet some people still cling to the idea that McD is pulling some invisible strings.  First of all, if they flame out this year, Beane stays.  As for McD.....I could easily see a change being made (especially with Bill Belichick lurking).  The Bills are Pegula's baby.  He's an astute business man.  After Josh Allen, there is no other loss this franchise could endure that would be as crippling as losing Brandon Beane.  This board's meltdown after the trade down with the Chiefs did nothing but expose the ignorance, short-sightedness, and irrationality of so many fans.

The best moment of the video was Beane schooling Brian Gaine at the combine.  Gaine voices concern regarding Keon's 40 time.  Beane, as usual, looks beyond the metrics (see Josh Allen 56% completion percemtage) and sees a very good football player.  I doubt Gaine  picks Keon, and he probably doesn't pick Josh either.    Thank god we have a GM who doesn't fall into those traps.

As for McD....he's a pretty good football coach.  My wife thinks he always looks like he's about to cry.  Beane has to take care of both Pegula and McD during the draft.  It's like a family trip, and everybody has to honor Grandpa (Pegula) by keeping him abreast of the plans.  As for McD,  he just wants to help dad change the tire to prove to the family he's important.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

We all watch these things every year, and yet some people still cling to the idea that McD is pulling some invisible strings.  First of all, if they flame out this year, Beane stays.  As for McD.....I could easily see a change being made (especially with Bill Belichick lurking).  The Bills are Pegula's baby.  He's an astute business man.  After Josh Allen, there is no other loss this franchise could endure that would be as crippling as losing Brandon Beane.  This board's meltdown after the trade down with the Chiefs did nothing but expose the ignorance, short-sightedness, and irrationality of so many fans.

The best moment of the video was Beane schooling Brian Gaine at the combine.  Gaine voices concern regarding Keon's 40 time.  Beane, as usual, looks beyond the metrics (see Josh Allen 56% completion percemtage) and sees a very good football player.  I doubt Gaine  picks Keon, and he probably doesn't pick Josh either.    Thank god we have a GM who doesn't fall into those traps.

As for McD....he's a pretty good football coach.  My wife thinks he always looks like he's about to cry.  Beane has to take care of both Pegula and McD during the draft.  It's like a family trip, and everybody has to honor Grandpa (Pegula) by keeping him abreast of the plans.  As for McD,  he just wants to help dad change the tire to prove to the family he's important.

As someone else mentioned about McDermott … the man is intense …. I don’t envy Beane having to sit next to him for like 18 hours or so over those three days … Textbook Micromanager 

I think you have a case of wishful thinking if you think there is any possibility McD could be out the door at the end of this season..Im no fan of him.. but 73 yr old Belichick would be worse … get an O guy in there 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

As someone else mentioned about McDermott … the man is intense …. I don’t envy Beane having to sit next to him for like 18 hours or so over those three days … Textbook Micromanager 

I think you have a case of wishful thinking if you think there is any possibility McD could be out the door at the end of this season..Im no fan of him.. but 73 yr old Belichick would be worse … get an O guy in there 

OK....maybe not Belichick (although maybe).  But if it's wishful thinking for us, of course it has crossed Pegula's mind.  I grew up in Chicago during the Bulls run.  They had a good coach (Doug Collins) who kept losing to the Pistons. So they fired him and hired a great coach (Phil Jackson).  It's a business decision. Losing is not OK when you have Josh Allen.  This is urgent.  So I'm with you on an O guy.  And I firmly believe a first round exit may herald a move in that direction.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

OK....maybe not Belichick (although maybe).  But if it's wishful thinking for us, of course it has crossed Pegula's mind.  I grew up in Chicago during the Bulls run.  They had a good coach (Doug Collins) who kept losing to the Pistons. So they fired him and hired a great coach (Phil Jackson).  It's a business decision. Losing is not OK when you have Josh Allen.  This is urgent.  So I'm with you on an O guy.  And I firmly believe a first round exit may herald a move in that direction.   

Im not saying you are wrong about a possible need for change ... But I’ll believe when it happens …

More likely to me is that Pegs is riding with McD into the new stadium …

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

I enjoyed the comment from Coleman to Carter that they never saw the way Duke was playing him before and Carter responding with that Duke changed their defense every week. I guess it is easier to do that at Duke. It does seem the Bills put a high weight on intelligence and perhaps that was why they didn't that Leggette if the rumors were true.

I regard most of the criticism of McDermott as nonsense but the one that I feel is valid is that he doesn't  adapt his defense for the opponent but basically plays the same defense all the time  This was the same issue with Dorsey when he was OC.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t know about McDermott “running the draft “… but he has certainly pre approved the guys they are interested in .., he calls Van Pran out before they have even taken Davis …

Please enlighten me with what NFL GMs you believe pick players they don’t think the HC wants.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, eball said:

Please enlighten me with what NFL GMs you believe pick players they don’t think the HC wants.

You tell me …I’m only interested in what Beane and McD are doing …

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, eball said:

So there are some dysfunctional teams. The Bills are not one (though for a long time they were). But the process as it works in functional organisations is that they have clear specifications of the types of person they want and the types of player they want at each spot and everyone from the area scouts up understands the schemes that the team runs and what that means for the skillsets of the players they need. The scouts and the senior personnel people do the evaluations over the course of the season, the GM and his top assistants use that to build a board. In the spring they involve the coaches in meetings at the Combine and 30 visits etc and then give them special projects to look at (particularly if there is a question about a player's fit or they have little clusters of players at a spot similarly graded). Then they use all the info they gather through the spring to make any adjustments they need to their board (from interviews, from coaches projects, from medicals etc). Then the GM uses the board on draft day to make the picks. That is the collaborative type of process most teams use. 

I've long believed that the Bills veer towards the smaller side on board size. More in the 100 to 120 space than the 150 plus space, just based on how they act in the draft. 

So as for the "McDermott pre-approves everyone they pick" in a sense if they make the draft board then everyone at the top of the organisation has approved them as a potential selection by the Buffalo Bills. But in the other sense the idea that he has personally evaluated all 100 to 120 guys on their board in the level of detail to govern their choices is for the birds. That's why he wanted the man he trusts as the GM. Because he knows he can't do that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

So there are some dysfunctional teams. The Bills are not one (though for a long time they were). But the process as it works in functional organisations is that they have clear specifications of the types of person they want and the types of player they want at each spot and everyone from the area scouts up understands the schemes that the team runs and what that means for the skillsets of the players they need. The scouts and the senior personnel people do the evaluations over the course of the season, the GM and his top assistants use that to build a board. In the spring they involve the coaches in meetings at the Combine and 30 visits etc and then give them special projects to look at (particularly if there is a question about a player's fit or they have little clusters of players at a spot similarly graded). Then they use all the info they gather through the spring to make any adjustments they need to their board (from interviews, from coaches projects, from medicals etc). Then the GM uses the board on draft day to make the picks. That is the collaborative type of process most teams use. 

I've long believed that the Bills veer towards the smaller side on board size. More in the 100 to 120 space than the 150 plus space, just based on how they act in the draft. 

So as for the "McDermott pre-approves everyone they pick" in a sense if they make the draft board then everyone at the top of the organisation has approved them as a potential selection by the Buffalo Bills. But in the other sense the idea that he has personally evaluated all 100 to 120 guys on their board in the level of detail to govern their choices is for the birds. That's why he wanted the man he trusts as the GM. Because he knows he can't do that. 

I’ haven’t seen anyone here  suggesting McDermott has evaluated 120:guys on their board… 

I tell you who he has evaluated though in detail….  Coleman, Bishop, Carter, Davis, SPVG  … and  probably a number of others …

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, eball said:

There are plenty of examples, though they don't tend to last long.   For example,  Adam Gase was clearly unhappy when Mike Maccagnan was making picks during the first year Gase was with the Jets and Gase got Woody Johnson to fired Maccagnan almost immediately afterwards.   The same with Rex Ryan and Mike Idzik before them. Idzik wanted to rebuild and Ryan wanted to pick for need and eventually Idzik was fired.

Edited by Billy Claude

I always enjoy these little looks inside the draft room. Coleman is for sure a guy we will all gravitate towards and although I hated taking Carter so early over Franklin and Walker, he seems like a smart fit personality wise. Bishop was all about his former teammate Kincaid. Feel like every other sentence was something about “Dalton” lol. Feel bad for Joe Brady strolling over to Beane all passively asking for some speed, I feel you brother lol

43 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

There are plenty of examples, though they don't tend to last long.   For example,  Adam Gase was clearly unhappy when Mike Maccagnan was making picks during the first year Gase was with the Jets and Gase got Woody Johnson to fired Maccagnan almost immediately afterwards.   The same with Rex Ryan and Mike Idzik before them. Idzik wanted to rebuild and Ryan wanted to pick for need and eventually Idzik was fired.

Forgive me, I apparently should have typed "what competent NFL GMs working in functional organizations..."

I thought that was self-explanatory.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’ haven’t seen anyone here  suggesting McDermott has evaluated 120:guys on their board… 

I tell you who he has evaluated though in detail….  Coleman, Bishop, Carter, Davis, SPVG  … and  probably a number of others …

How many others? 5? 10? 20? How big do you think their real board is then? Because if they could only draft people with the McDermott tick it would reduce the board down to the guys he has evaluated in detail. What if those guys are not there? Everyone on the board is considered by the Bills draftable. Brandon Beane decides who to draft. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

How many others? 5? 10? 20? How big do you think their real board is then? Because if they could only draft people with the McDermott tick it would reduce the board down to the guys he has evaluated in detail. What if those guys are not there? Everyone on the board is considered by the Bills draftable. Brandon Beane decides who to draft. 

Don't waste your breath.  The "McD is the puppetmaster" crowd only dig their heels in deeper...

It's a weird psychological reaction some have to hearing facts that don't support their mistaken beliefs.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2