interesting piece in Washington Post about likely movement of vet WRs

12 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I doubt they do anything until after the draft. Likely most teams are in that mode. If DK is available afterwards, that may be a great get depending on who we draft.

Metcalf makes the most sense of any of the trade for a vet options especially if he’s not asking for a new deal.  He might be cool with 2 years with Josh then hit the open market again at age 28.  2 years $31m doesn’t break the bank.  Plus Seattle most likely wants draft capital for next year when they’re most likely drafting a QB.  A 5th this year and a 2nd next year.  

Metcalf, Shakir, Samuel, 2nd/3rd round rookie, Kincaid, Knox, Cook is an upgrade over Josh’s skill position players last year.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Well.. when they tried to pick one giving up multiple firsts it was one of the biggest disasters we have seen in 20 years ..

Maybe they should be sticking with what they have based on that effort 

Giving up what they did for Trey Lance was idiotic. Based on his level of competition and minuscule game experience the odds of failure were very high.

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah AJ Brown has separated from Metcalf but DK is still really good.     If they could get him for a second round pick...........that would be a great get, IMO.    If the draft were to go the way the mock community expects then the part of the WR group that drops way off by 60 is definitely the boundary WR.    DK is a legit boundary option and he's been a better player in the playoffs than the regular season.   Likely because of his physicality.   Good fit for late season games in Highmark stadium, IMO.

I'd do DK for a second rounder in a heartbeat but why would Seattle take a $36mil dead cap hit this year for a 2nd rounder? Are they looking to offload him?

12 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

I'd do DK for a second rounder in a heartbeat but why would Seattle take a $36mil dead cap hit this year for a 2nd rounder? Are they looking to offload him?

It’s $23m in dead cap since his $13m 2024 salary would be traded to acquiring team.  They’d save 1.5m in cap space.  New coach who probably wants to instill winning culture this year with Geno Smith then draft a QB next year.  They already have Lockett and Smith-Njigba at WR.  Makes sense for  them to unload Metcalf for some 2025 draft capital like McBeane did their 1st year.  They’re not winning a Super Bowl this year and Metcalf might not be in their long term plans.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

The rationale is explained in the article.   Basically new regime,  new priorities.   Those situations are often ripe for the plucking by established organizations.   They all want their own guys and are brimming with confidence in their own decision making.   See the Bills trading the #10 pick to the Chiefs back in 2017.........even though, on paper, they themselves were desperate for a QB.    Patriots, Rams, Eagles and Jaguars also bolstered their rosters for longer playoff runs by picking from the Bills roster as well.   Similar thing happened when the 2000 team got broken up when Donahoe took over.  

• Like (+1) 3

21 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It appears that despite the numbers being thrown around, no WR is getting close to $30 million per, at least yet. From Florio, who is good on this sort of issue (althoug certainly not every type of issue): https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/top-receiver-deals-definitely-arent-what-they-seem-to-be

Yeah as I said elsewhere, there hasn't been a proven elite WR in their prime to sign a deal since Davante Adams and then Tyreek.   When Jefferson hits the market,  he will re-set it.   

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah as I said elsewhere, there hasn't been a proven elite WR in their prime to sign a deal since Davante Adams and then Tyreek.   When Jefferson hits the market,  he will re-set it.   

Yup. Chase will be next.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Davonta Smith just got a huge deal in Philly but I don't know if you consider him to be elite. I think that if he had Josh as his QB instead of Hurts, he would be. Rumor has it that Waddle is also close to getting a very lucrative contract. I think that if Josh was throwing to him he might be a superstar. 

As always, jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

To be going into this season paying their most expensive receiver $8m is crazy … if this is the plan… they better hit on two big names in the draft …

Picking a guy at 28 and the fourth round isn’t good enough in my view 

Depends on the guy, right?