Trump Bloodbath / Immigrants Are Animals / Fine People HOAXES

The full quote, in context, for anyone who cares to read it:

"Let me tell you something, to China, if you're listening, President Xi, and you and I are friends, but he understands the way I deal, those big monster car manufacturing plants that you're building in Mexico right now. And you think you're going to get that, you're going to not hire Americans and you're going to sell the cars us, no. We're going to put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line and you're not going to be able to sell those cars if I get elected. Now if I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath for the whole — that's gonna be the least of it. It's going to be a bloodbath for the country. That will be the least of it."

Of course, it's Trump speaking, not writing, and it's chock full of the asides and self-interruptions that characterize his speeches. I understand that many people find this type of speaking effective, at least from Trump. I'm not one of them, but I get that it is different than written communication or the delivery of well-organized thoughts.

But here's the thing: if we apply normal rules of deciphering communication, he's saying:

- If I'm not elected, it will be a bloodbath for the whole [cuts himself off, but in context can only mean to say "U.S. auto industry." Nothing else would make sense here]

- Interrupts that thought to say mean "no, not just for the whole U.S. auto industry," and replaces that thought with "that's gonna be the least of it."

So if we apply the normal rules of interpretation, he is saying the impact on the U.S. auto industry is "gonna be the least of it," and the impact of him not getting elected is gonna be a whole lot worse in other aspects:

- "It's going to be a bloodbath for the country. That [note: this must be referring again to the impact on the U.S. auto industry; nothing else would make sense] will be the least of it."

So if we treat Trump like any other speaker, the "bloodbath" obviously refers to something other than the impact on the U.S. auto industry. So it is fair to say that he's predicting some other kind of bloodbath. Hey, maybe it's U.S. troops overseas or something. Whatever.

But that's not Trump's "explanation." That explanation amounts to "the bloodbath would be to the U.S. auto industry." Which simply doesn't make sense based on my exquisitely careful parsing of his words. There's the possibility that this is just an ill-meaning elderly man with difficulty expressing his thoughts clearly, but of course Trump supporters reject this.

So we are left with that now-old canard: Trump's critics take him literally but not seriously; Trump's supporters take him seriously but not literally."

In other words: Trump is saying something that literally refers to some other type of "bloodbath." But his supporters are hearing something else. What else that may be, I don't know. That's where that whole dog whistle thing comes from. It isn't just made up out of whole cloth.

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The full quote, in context, for anyone who cares to read it:

"Let me tell you something, to China, if you're listening, President Xi, and you and I are friends, but he understands the way I deal, those big monster car manufacturing plants that you're building in Mexico right now. And you think you're going to get that, you're going to not hire Americans and you're going to sell the cars us, no. We're going to put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line and you're not going to be able to sell those cars if I get elected. Now if I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath for the whole — that's gonna be the least of it. It's going to be a bloodbath for the country. That will be the least of it."

Of course, it's Trump speaking, not writing, and it's chock full of the asides and self-interruptions that characterize his speeches. I understand that many people find this type of speaking effective, at least from Trump. I'm not one of them, but I get that it is different than written communication or the delivery of well-organized thoughts.

But here's the thing: if we apply normal rules of deciphering communication, he's saying:

- If I'm not elected, it will be a bloodbath for the whole [cuts himself off, but in context can only mean to say "U.S. auto industry." Nothing else would make sense here]

- Interrupts that thought to say mean "no, not just for the whole U.S. auto industry," and replaces that thought with "that's gonna be the least of it."

So if we apply the normal rules of interpretation, he is saying the impact on the U.S. auto industry is "gonna be the least of it," and the impact of him not getting elected is gonna be a whole lot worse in other aspects:

- "It's going to be a bloodbath for the country. That [note: this must be referring again to the impact on the U.S. auto industry; nothing else would make sense] will be the least of it."

So if we treat Trump like any other speaker, the "bloodbath" obviously refers to something other than the impact on the U.S. auto industry. So it is fair to say that he's predicting some other kind of bloodbath. Hey, maybe it's U.S. troops overseas or something. Whatever.

But that's not Trump's "explanation." That explanation amounts to "the bloodbath would be to the U.S. auto industry." Which simply doesn't make sense based on my exquisitely careful parsing of his words. There's the possibility that this is just an ill-meaning elderly man with difficulty expressing his thoughts clearly, but of course Trump supporters reject this.

So we are left with that now-old canard: Trump's critics take him literally but not seriously; Trump's supporters take him seriously but not literally."

In other words: Trump is saying something that literally refers to some other type of "bloodbath." But his supporters are hearing something else. What else that may be, I don't know. That's where that whole dog whistle thing comes from. It isn't just made up out of whole cloth.

So if China is allowed to sell cars through Mexico with no tariffs...there will be genocide in America?  And that makes sense to you?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

So if China is allowed to sell cars through Mexico with no tariffs...there will be genocide in America?  And that makes sense to you?

Again, applying normal rules of grammar to an aged (and apparently dyslexic) man:

The antecedent to "there will be a bloodbath" was "if I'm not elected."

As a doctor, what would you make of a medical report phrased in this manner?

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Again, applying normal rules of grammar to an aged (and apparently dyslexic) man:

The antecedent to "there will be a bloodbath" was "if I'm not elected."

As a doctor, what would you make of a medical report phrased in this manner?

I wouldn't make much of the report.  I'd look at the context being "the auto industry" and say the "at least" is other US industries.  Not actual human bloodshed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

we are left with that now-old canard: Trump's critics take him literally but not seriously; Trump's supporters take him seriously but not literally."

I believe many of them hear the dog whistle and approve of it. They just aren’t ready to say so yet. It’s the whole hood and robe thing: secrecy but with malevolence.  Some have already come out from under their rocks. Trump is encouraging it but many are reasonably uncertain of his election and waiting to go all in. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I believe many of them hear the dog whistle and approve of it. They just aren’t ready to say so yet. It’s the whole hood and robe thing: secrecy but with malevolence.  Some have already come out from under their rocks. Trump is encouraging it but many are reasonably uncertain of his election and waiting to go all in. 

No it's the Dems that hear a dog whistle.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

No it's the Dems that hear a dog whistle.  

Funny how that goes.

The Dems hear Trump say "come to DC on January 6 to Stop The Steal, it's gonna be wild." And they stupidly expect something like a bunch of low-class loons will storm the Capitol or something.

Alarmists.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Candidate says "If I'm not elected, the U.S. auto industry will suffer, but that's not the least of it, there will also be a BLOODBATH."

Trump supporters say, c'mon, don't take him at his word, it's just Trump being Trump.

That's why we say it's a cult.

Rachael Maddow called.  She wants her strapon back...

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, phypon said:

Rachael Maddow called.  She wants her strapon back...

Yeah, and the Jerk Store called. They're running out of you.

3 minutes ago, phypon said:

It was a good burn and f'cking hilarious!!

That's what she said.

Got any other sick burns from decades past?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah, and the Jerk Store called. They're running out of you.

That's what she said.

Got any other sick burns from decades past?

Good one!  That was funny!  Good burn!

Yeah...well...well...the jerk store is running out of YOU!!  :nana:

My ex-gf is not in a coma...and it wouldn't surprise me if you had sex with her.  Everyone else did...

• Haha (+1) 1

The Left wing and msm are forcing me to defend Trump again, on this issue…

Just like Charlottesville and the “very fine people” hoax, the Left wing is being purposely deceptive, and taking Trump’s quote out of context, to push another false narrative…

They know it’s a lie, but they know their audience is a low info demographic….

Come on guys…Do better….stop putting ideology before truth…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1