What realistic Free Agents are on your wishlist for the Bills?

Logic

Re-sign Daquan Jones as long as it’s somewhat team friendly.

Outside of that, don’t really want anyone that isn’t coming back on a minimum deal…. Rapp, Edwards, Ty Johnson, Shaq … id welcome them all back at vet minimums. 

Would at least provide a baseline on Defense going into the Draft that isn’t making any position a five alarm fire. 

Id also cut/trade Douglas.   Time for the youth movement.  Can’t have money tied up in all these older vets.  They drafted Elam for a reason, and it’s time for him to get a real shot at the position. 

• Dislike 1

On 2/29/2024 at 12:14 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I think they sign a safety. I think safeties fall in tiers. All my opinions...

Best Fits who will be expensive:

Kamren Curl

Xavier McKinney

These guys are both great fits for what we do in terms of scheme. Curl played in Ron Rivera's defense, and McKinney played a ton as a single high and 2 high safety guy. McKinney is my favorite and reminds me most of Hyde. He can play all over the secondary and has incredible instincts. Curl has similar traits. 

Box safety will be expensive: 

Kyle Dugger

They loved him pre-draft, and I could see them going down that well again. He is very versatile but hasn't been used in New England much as a high safety. He is also about to turn 28 and will be expensive, so I am not sure how young they are getting at safety here as compared to Curl and McKinney who are turning 25 soon. 

Solid Realistic add: 

Geno Stone...OP did a great job with the description, so I won't add, but I think Stone makes a ton of sense. 

Older Playmaker just released and is realistic: 

Eddie Jackson. I think he is a great fit for what we do defensively. There would be no dropoff from Hyde, the only question would be injury stuff. 

Young guy who would be cheap and potentially interesting: 

Ashtyn Davis - was drafted for Gregg Williams Tampa 2 style defense, after Saleh came in Davis became an afterthought. 

Jeremy Chinn -  is more of a box, big nickel guy who hasn't had much of a chance to play safety. 

Corner conversions:

CJ Henderson

Kristian Fulton

Both these guys were pretty high pedigree corners, who, for whatever reason seemed to flame out. I think they could consider a move to safety rather than toiling as a backup corner on someone's depth chart. 

Ultimately, they probably just re-sign Taylor Rapp. 

Henderson is horrible!! 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Re-sign Daquan Jones as long as it’s somewhat team friendly.

Outside of that, don’t really want anyone that isn’t coming back on a minimum deal…. Rapp, Edwards, Ty Johnson, Shaq … id welcome them all back at vet minimums. 

Would at least provide a baseline on Defense going into the Draft that isn’t making any position a five alarm fire. 

Id also cut/trade Douglas.   Time for the youth movement.  Can’t have money tied up in all these older vets.  They drafted Elam for a reason, and it’s time for him to get a real shot at the position. 

Rapp and Jones are priority.  I think cutting or trading Douglas for cap saving is a mistake on the field.  The conversation needs to be had with White imo.  Thats the elephant in the DB room.  He was a top corner.  He is a team leader.  It is not likely he will get back to what he was.  I think most would assume Douglas will be the better player over the next few years.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

People are talking about cutting Douglas? Really? The guy was a turnover machine for us. And he's our most experienced CB.

Who do you we sign and for how much after cutting Douglas?

I'm not saying keep him for 4 more years, but he's under contract for this year and was our best CB last year. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Henderson is horrible!! 

yeah, I don't get what happened to him. He was a blue chipper. I suppose my idea is to see if the 25-year-old former blue-chip prospect can play safety before we take him out back. 

11 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

People are talking about cutting Douglas? Really? The guy was a turnover machine for us. And he's our most experienced CB.

I'm not saying keep him for 4 more years, but he's under contract for this year and was our best CB last year. 

Agreed, I’d extend him another year to spread his cap out. 

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Agreed, I’d extend him another year to spread his cap out. 

I wouldn't be against it. He turns 30 in late August so next year he would be 31. I wouldn't go beyond that.

The only reason for letting him go (and after investing a 3rd round pick) I can think of is a macro D philosophy shift to more man and Douglas doesn't match up well there. In that case, why not try and trade him for a 4th or 5th? He played as well as you could have hoped for last season for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Contract talks must not be doing well. Beane talked about Douglas in past tense at his combine presser(WGR 550). That is what caused all this speculation. I would want him resigned if contract demands are not excessive.  

Edited by noacls
Spelling

9 minutes ago, noacls said:

Contract talks must not be doing well. Beane talked about Douglas in past tense at his combine presser(WGR 550). That is what caused all this speculation. I would want him resigned if contract demands are not excessive.  

He's under contract this 2024 season. Unless a restructure is 100% needed, there's no need for contract talks.

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

He's under contract this 2024 season. Unless a restructure is 100% needed, there's no need for contract talks.

There is if he does not want to be here long term. Then he should be cut or traded for the cap savings and or  pick. 

26 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I wouldn't be against it. He turns 30 in late August so next year he would be 31. I wouldn't go beyond that.

The only reason for letting him go (and after investing a 3rd round pick) I can think of is a macro D philosophy shift to more man and Douglas doesn't match up well there. In that case, why not try and trade him for a 4th or 5th? He played as well as you could have hoped for last season for the Bills.

I like Douglas a lot, but if we aren't going to extend him for 1-2 years....I'd try packaging Douglas, 4th, 6th  for a 2nd 

I don't agree with it, but I always felt Douglas was going to be a pure rental. The cap savings are clean with no dead money and are significant. The only way he makes sense coming back is if Tre is gone. They aren't going to pay two corners, plus a nickel big money. You have to spread the cap out around the team. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't agree with it, but I always felt Douglas was going to be a pure rental. The cap savings are clean with no dead money and are significant. The only way he makes sense coming back is if Tre is gone. They aren't going to pay two corners, plus a nickel big money. You have to spread the cap out around the team. 

Don't we save more $ by releasing Tre? 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I thought I saw somewhere we could save 12-13 million by designating him as a post June 1 cut 

Unless I am looking in the wrong place, this is what spotrac says for post-June 1: 

2024 Dead Cap: $6,234,918

2025 Dead Cap: $4,134,9182024

Cap Savings: $10,208,819

If Tre is cut today it's: 

2024 Dead Cap: $10,369,8362024

Cap Savings: $6,073,901

Douglas is 2024 Cap Savings: $9,973,529,  no dead cap.

So White is slightly more but incurs a dead cap that can be spread over two years. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Unless I am looking in the wrong place, this is what spotrac says for post-June 1: 

2024 Dead Cap: $6,234,918

2025 Dead Cap: $4,134,9182024

Cap Savings: $10,208,819

Ooo okay thanks. I like Tre, but I would do that for the 10.2 savings.  Keep Rasul then

Rasul

Benford

Elam

J. Ingram 
UFA / late round pick 

21 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Beane decides to take a big swing, I think EDGE Josh Allen will be the target 

adding that name to our defense has got to win us a championship right?! 

That would be pretty awesome, but I do agree that if they take a big swing it's going to be along the defensive line. Other spots can be filled mid-tier and through the draft.