Is it time to grow concerned about Greg Rousseau?

FireChans

Just now, FireChans said:

If you don’t want to read TBD and the “meaningless chatter” in the off-season, there’s a big red X in the top right of the screen.

I love meaningless off season chatter, I especially love it when folk take this nonsense seriously, 😁👍 everyone knows the Frenchman isn’t going anywhere for the next two seasons…, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

I love meaningless off season chatter, I especially love it when folk take this nonsense seriously, 😁👍 everyone knows the Frenchman isn’t going anywhere for the next two seasons…, 

The topic isn’t about if he’s “going anywhere.” 

Imagine complaining about a topic you misunderstood lmao

As long as Rousseau’s camp doesn’t expect him to be paid like a top edge defender, then we have no problem. He’s an average to above average starter on the DL, probably not worth more than $13M/yr. Anything north of that I let him walk and take my comp pick. If he showed up in the biggest moments of the biggest games, I’d feel differently. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Brand J said:

As long as Rousseau’s camp doesn’t expect him to be paid like a top edge defender, then we have no problem. He’s an average to above average starter on the DL, probably not worth more than $13M/yr. Anything north of that I let him walk and take my comp pick. If he showed up in the biggest moments of the biggest games, I’d feel differently. 

Between Tre White, Matt Milano, and Ed Oliver, Beane has shown the ability to get our guys re-signed on incredibly team friendly deals. I'm hopinh he can work the same magic on Rousseau.

But he will absolutely get more than $13M/year. We are talking a 2026-2029 contract with a cap likely over $300M.

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Between Tre White, Matt Milano, and Ed Oliver, Beane has shown the ability to get our guys re-signed on incredibly team friendly deals. I'm hopinh he can work the same magic on Rousseau.

But he will absolutely get more than $13M/year. We are talking a 2026-2029 contract with a cap likely over $300M.

My philosophy is simple when it comes to re-signing big ticket players: against the better teams, the ones we have to go through in the playoffs, has the player shown he can impact the game in the biggest moments? Does he usually have any impact on the game at all?

If it’s a no, I let him go. 

Edited by Brand J
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Brand J said:

lol. Do people not know the best edge players are getting more than twice that? 

I don’t know how some people here would even build a team. You don’t get better letting a player like Rousseau walk. He has zero weaknesses. He’s a $20+ million edge player easily. He’s not a $30 million edge player. Parsons will get $30+ million. 

6 minutes ago, Brand J said:

My philosophy is simple when it comes to re-signing players: against the better teams, the ones we have to go through in the playoffs, has the player shown he can impact the game in the biggest moments? Does he usually have any impact on the game at all?

If it’s a no, I let him go. 

I thought he had his best playoffs. No one else showed up on the DL.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s a very good player. What’s the concern? He defends everything. Good vs run and pass. He’s just not elite at anything yet.

That's the problem, all the top picks,and FA money spent on the DL and no elite players to show for it.  We thought Oliver was heading there, then his play dropped off esp. Vs. KC.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

That's the problem, all the top picks,and FA money spent on the DL and no elite players to show for it.  We thought Oliver was heading there, then his play dropped off esp. Vs. KC.

Oliver didn’t have a good game. KC has a great interior. They won that battle for sure.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

lol. Do people not know the best edge players are getting more than twice that? 

I don’t know how some people here would even build a team. You don’t get better letting a player like Rousseau walk. He has zero weaknesses. He’s a $20+ million edge player easily. He’s not a $30 million edge player. Parsons will get $30+ million. 

I thought he had his best playoffs. No one else showed up on the DL.

You also don’t get better paying average to above average players $20M/yr. It’s the same reason why I said Edmunds had to walk and had Beane re-signed him I would’ve lost faith in him as a GM. Rousseau isn’t one of the best edge defenders in the league. Well, against the run, sure, but not against the pass and that’s what brings the money. He’s a capable starter at this point, nothing more, nothing less.

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Great players show up in the biggest games.  Oliver is good, not great.

Not going to argue. I think Rousseau is a much better player after year 3 than Oliver was. Rousseau is just good at everything.

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

You also don’t get better paying average to above average players $20M/yr. It’s the same reason why I said Edmunds had to walk and had Beane re-signed him I would’ve lost faith in him as a GM. Rousseau isn’t one of the best edge defenders in the league. Well, against the run, sure, but not against the pass and that’s what brings the money. He’s a capable starter at this point, nothing more, nothing less.

Rousseau is not average. Thats your problem.

You draft good players and extend good players. Especially at positions of QB and edge.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not going to argue. I think Rousseau is a much better player after year 3 than Oliver was. Rousseau is just good at everything.

Rousseau is not average. Thats your problem.

You draft good players and extend good players. Especially at positions of QB and edge.

He’s an average pass rusher and that’s primarily how edges are judged, not on their ability to hold the point of the attack and play the run. He's still got time to figure it out in that department, but you don’t extend those guys to substantial contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brand J said:

He’s an average pass rusher and that’s primarily how edges are judged, not on their ability to hold the point of the attack and play the run. He's still got time to figure it out in that department, but you don’t extend those guys to substantial contracts.

So you’re only extending great players. Got it.

The top edge players will be topping out in the $30+ millions. There’s going to be a shift in the middle tier edge players. They will be $20 million players. Rousseau is exactly the type of player you extend.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So you’re only extending great players. Got it.

Here comes the straw man… I’m extending him based on his value as an edge defender and if that’s north of $13M/yr I’m letting him walk. Great players get substantial contracts commensurate to their value. That’s all I’ve ever said, read my posts again. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

Here comes the straw man… I’m extending him based on his value as an edge defender and if that’s north of $13M/yr I’m letting him walk. Great players get substantial contracts commensurate to their value. That’s all I’ve ever said, read my posts again. 

Thats a ridiculous value.

Rousseau was really raw when he came out … only had two years of a college if I remember correctly and sat out the season before he was a drafted because of the Covid situation …so maybe you can think he is still going through some development and can get better ..

I would have liked to have seen better pass rush skills by now…not saying he is a bust by any means … but just hoped for more ..

Edited by Aussie Joe

26 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Great players show up in the biggest games.  Oliver is good, not great.

Which players showed up in our biggest games? Besides Josh?

We have plenty of talent. When the entire team is consistently no-showing for the big games, the issue lies above the players.

See: @FireChans previous thread with the poll.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.