2024 New York Yankees...........start season with 4 game sweep of Houston

BADOLBILZ

23 minutes ago, US Egg said:

Wonder if Vegas has an over/under on Tommy John surgeries this season? 

Pitch clock or not, humans routinely and regularly throwing anything 90-100 m.p.h. is pushing the limits of the arm.

…..then adding the wrist wrenching spin?

Somethings gonna give.

Yeah, I agree that this has nothing to do with the pitch clock. 

It’s just not natural arm movement. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Nestor with 8 shutout innings. Volpe and Soto with 3 run HR's. 9-2 record. So far so good. Long season and there will be bumps along the way, but I am loving this start.

9-2 is tied with their best start ever.   The pitching staff is a bit of a house of cards.........but most teams' are........so those 8 innings from the Hialeah Hedgehog were big.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, US Egg said:

Wonder if Vegas has an over/under on Tommy John surgeries this season? 

Pitch clock or not, humans routinely and regularly throwing anything 90-100 m.p.h. is pushing the limits of the arm.

…..then adding the wrist wrenching spin?

Somethings gonna give.

Baseball is so serious down here that the kids are getting Tommy John just to get a stronger throwing arm.  My college roommate years ago got Tommy John surgery when he was 12.  He didn't need it but got it because it puts an extra ligament in your elbow.

One of our bullpen guys in college increased his fastball by 3 mph after Tommy John.

For stats, most Tommy John surgeries are done with kids ages 15-18.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah won a game last night where they had A LOT of bad ball luck.   

When you play 162 there will be games when it doesn't go your way obviously. There will times when they have losing streaks. But overall, this team looks good although it's still very early in the season.

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

When you play 162 there will be games when it doesn't go your way obviously. There will times when they have losing streaks. But overall, this team looks good although it's still very early in the season.

Their approach at the plate is a lot better and they have some lefty bats now..........and Soto has been great.   But he was great with the Padres too and it didn't make this kind of difference.   The key component, IMO,  is still Matt Blake the pitching coach.   How they get top of the league ERA production from a bullpen full of castoffs every year is impressive.   The organization as a whole gets great pitching results despite never drafting high.   He has really saved Hal Steinbrenner's bacon.  That team last year should have been like 72-90 as bad as they were offensively and with the pitching injuries.  Would not be surprised if Blake gets a managers job next year just so that the organization that gets him can get his eye for pitching.  

• Like (+1) 1

Don’t know if this would interest anyone. Anyways, I never was a memorabilia collector, but, I saw this site a few days ago with replica Yankee autograph baseballs, along with other baseball replica items. I found it fun to look at.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.etsy.com%2Fshop%2FManCaveDisplaysShop%3Fref%3Dsearch_shop_redirect&h=AT1TdTimcwGmc2uikHZDoSwZ_6ueN-kEV_Ym2tDK-mo1nCHLUx6veD0wJwIiowjygjT4fzrWwoBKkDXP3or6TdYRIs0ViGWpCqvLZPf3ONvSzbiUZoeVAzPUeJOVKNzDM2IemHJIFk72ATiXsIaO_ia1Krc

…..bought four baseballs.

Edited by US Egg

On 4/15/2024 at 5:54 PM, Beast said:

I'm glad.   He had a good run but he's been awful for about a decade now.   When I have the occasion to have the game on the radio......sometimes I have to flip the station to make sure the broadcast is still on because there could be minute long silences.    And his vision was shot and he's been mis-calling plays for years.   Justin Shackle is OK.......he's had to fill in a lot for Sterling in recent years.   I'd prefer Ryan Rucco but I'm not sure the Yanks radio is big enough for him at this point.   He should have Michael Kay's job.   He killed it when Kay was out a couple years ago.   Kay knows it.  

On 4/17/2024 at 9:04 AM, Gregg said:

First slump of the year with a 3-game losing streak. Hopefully they can stop the bleeding and get a win today.

Yeah the starting staff is shaky without Cole.   Just not enough innings.   The Jays starters aren't great but they are better.   And the Yanks bullpen is excellent EXCEPT for their lack of strikeout ability.   They really struggle with the Manfred-man in extra innings because that contact allowed is like an automatic run.   Not surprising they've blown 2 saves in extra's.    It was big salvaging that last game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the starting staff is shaky without Cole.   Just not enough innings.   The Jays starters aren't great but they are better.   And the Yanks bullpen is excellent EXCEPT for their lack of strikeout ability.   They really struggle with the Manfred-man in extra innings because that contact allowed is like an automatic run.   Not surprising they've blown 2 saves in extra's.    It was big salvaging that last game.

Outstanding!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

So Anthony Rizzo is playing like he's still concussion addled.    He is embarrassing himself in the field and has turned into a slap hitter because he can't barrel up the ball anymore.    Perhaps a result,  the Yankees just promoted their slick fielding AA first baseman TJ Rumfield to AAA.   I kinda' wonder if the problems in the field continue if Rizzo might pull an in-season retirement.   Also, perhaps the Yanks move Spencer Jones back to 1B,  where he once played a lot, at AA and start grooming him as a Cody Bellinger-esque CF/1B combo.  

Saw this story though too.    As @4merper4mer knows and the article points out his Cardinals are a tired old bunch of basement dwellers.   They are really struggling with the balanced schedule when they used to fatten up off all those extra games against their cheap-assd central division rivals.    Could Goldie go to the Yanks?  He'd be a hit for a half season in NY.   It would be to the jewish community what Rizzo/Gallo were to Italian fans when they were acquired.   Ain't going to be no blockbuster tho.  He's on his last legs at 37.

https://www.si.com/mlb/cardinals/cardinals-superstar-linked-to-yankees-in-possible-blockbuster-trade

Edited by BADOLBILZ

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So Anthony Rizzo is playing like he's still concussion addled.    He is embarrassing himself in the field and has turned into a slap hitter because he can't barrel up the ball anymore.    Perhaps a result,  the Yankees just promoted their slick fielding AA first baseman TJ Rumfield to AAA.   I kinda' wonder if the problems in the field continue if Rizzo might pull an in-season retirement.   Also, perhaps the Yanks move Spencer Jones back to 1B,  where he once played a lot, at AA and start grooming him as a Cody Bellinger-esque CF/1B combo.  

Saw this story though too.    As @4merper4mer knows and the article points out his Cardinals are a tired old bunch of basement dwellers.   They are really struggling with the balanced schedule when they used to fatten up off all those extra games against their cheap-assd central division rivals.    Could Goldie go to the Yanks?  He'd be a hit for a half season in NY.   It would be to the jewish community what Rizzo/Gallo were to Italian fans when they were acquired.   Ain't going to be no blockbuster tho.  He's on his last legs at 37.

https://www.si.com/mlb/cardinals/cardinals-superstar-linked-to-yankees-in-possible-blockbuster-trade

Lol the Cardinals won’t get a blockbuster of prospects from the Yankees because they gave them all away for Frankie Montas and the cupboard is still bare.  They’ll probably rush Jones and ruin him like they always do. Cards will take their time with Saggesse. For the record, I like Jones.  I’d hate to see Goldschmidt forced to end his career with a failed playoff run or early exit because the Yankees got impatient with Rizzo.  

If the Twins keep stinking it up maybe the Yanks can get Santana.  He’s not as washed as people think and has a good glove.  Then again the Yanks scout trades like Warrior Spikes scouts WR.  The shinier the object the better.