2024 New York Yankees...........start season with 4 game sweep of Houston

BADOLBILZ

And so it begins.......

https://www.mlb.com/news/5-takeaways-from-aaron-boone-s-opening-news-conference

and then it really begins.......

https://nypost.com/2024/03/11/sports/gerrit-cole-injury-scare-should-spur-yankees-into-action/

and then it continues.........

https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-judge-abdominal-injury-2024

Here is the link this year to the box scores for the Yankees and all of their minor league affiliates all on one page........just change the day on the left every day if it doesn't refresh.    Scranton is playing games currently.   Somerset (AA) begins Friday April 5.   High A and Low A won't be far behind and then the short season(rookie league's and Dominican Summer League begin in June).

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/stats/affiliates?teamId=147

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe the old-timers were right back in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Lifting lots of weights may not be conducive to staying healthy and flexible enough to play baseball.  

The wear and tear of a 162 game schedule, compared to the 17 game NFL season, IMO is more about flexibility and endurance and less about raw power.  

Then again, I still love my 1920s/30s/40s/50s era Yankees when Pete Sheehy was the equipment manager and poor athletic training was the norm. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Maybe the old-timers were right back in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Lifting lots of weights may not be conducive to staying healthy and flexible enough to play baseball.  

The wear and tear of a 162 game schedule, compared to the 17 game NFL season, IMO is more about flexibility and endurance and less about raw power.  

Then again, I still love my 1920s/30s/40s/50s era Yankees when Pete Sheehy was the equipment manager and poor athletic training was the norm. 

Full tar cigarettes, greenies, and a case of beer was all they needed to stay limber and fit back then.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Yeah the improved strength from weight training and PED's helped make players more powerful but taking them away has turned MLB rosters into injured lists.

• Agree 1

This is a few weeks old - and maybe belongs in a baseball blooper thread - but since it's 2024 spring training Yankees and happened while Boone was doing an in-game interview I'm putting it here.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/05/sports/aaron-boone-horrified-by-yankees-awful-play-during-espn-interview/

BTW, doesn't bother me in the least that they were playing the Mets. Good times.

Posted (edited)

Glad that Cole doesn't have a UCL tear.   If platelet rich plasm injections are so good it makes you wonder why pitchers doesn't just get them periodically during the portion of the offseason when they aren't throwing at least.   I guess we will see if he makes it back to form this season.

On the positive front Luis Gil had a second straight strong outing today against Toronto.   This 8K outing was from last week against most of the Phillies "A" lineup.   Looks like he could be a very important bullpen arm for them at least.   Maybe fill that Michael King role from prior to his switch back to the rotation.    Curry and Lorentz were talking about Jonathon Loaisiga being a multi-inning option this year on the broadcast today.  GTFOH.   Lasagna is lucky to face 3 batters before his arm gets sore.

I've been waiting for a month to see this game.    Most of the Yankees top prospects from their 6 US minor league teams going against the Blue Jays top prospects.    Spencer Jones hit 2 monster HR.   I am tempering my enthusiasm for him because I know these big players can struggle to put it together but it's hard not to be impressed.   After striking out 30% of the time in the minors last year he went 120 pitches into spring games before he even swung and missed.   Seems to have made huge progress.   Yankees lefty pitchers Brock Selvidge and Henry Lalane looked great.   Jorbit Vivas looks like a legit potential Gleyber Torres or DJ LeMahieur replacement in 2025.  Fun to watch, big swing but rarely misses.   2023 first rounder George Lombard looks like he belongs playing with these guys even though he's only 18.   Probably the 3B for Yanks at some point in 2026.   Caleb Durbin is promising as well and might help the Yanks this season even.    The two most "ready" pitching prospects, RHP's Will Warren and Chase Hampton,  will pitch tomorrow against the Red Sox.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

9 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

go O's!

I fell bad (I really don’t) for Yankees fans who actually believe Cole will pitch effectively this season. 

I remember feeling optimistic every time deGrom had “discomfort.”  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I fell bad (I really don’t) for Yankees fans who actually believe Cole will pitch effectively this season. 

I remember feeling optimistic every time deGrom had “discomfort.”  

They carefully worded their assessment.  They technically NEVER said his UCL wasn’t torn.  They said it was “intact” which would be misleading but true if he had a partial tear.  It’s not good.  He’s probably the most important player on their team given the high upside but unreliable garbage they will have on the mound other than him.  Sure maybe Stroman, Rodon, Nestor etc all work out but odds are that two will crap the bed.  I hate seeing such a great pitcher injured.

Kyle Bradish of the O’s has had nothing but positive reports and he’s already throwing off a mound, but even so I don’t think they can realistically count on him.  Cole’s reports seem far worse.  The elbow stuff rarely works out otherwise.  There are a few but…..McClanahan, Baz, Spings, Rasmussen, Painter, Dustin May, Mize, Alcantra, Dustin May again, looks like Urquidy today and about 37 guys I forgot.  

It’s St. Patty’s day and the Yankees are borderline toast. ELL oh ELL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/17/2024 at 1:22 PM, 4merper4mer said:

They carefully worded their assessment.  They technically NEVER said his UCL wasn’t torn.  They said it was “intact” which would be misleading but true if he had a partial tear.  It’s not good.  He’s probably the most important player on their team given the high upside but unreliable garbage they will have on the mound other than him.  Sure maybe Stroman, Rodon, Nestor etc all work out but odds are that two will crap the bed.  I hate seeing such a great pitcher injured.

Kyle Bradish of the O’s has had nothing but positive reports and he’s already throwing off a mound, but even so I don’t think they can realistically count on him.  Cole’s reports seem far worse.  The elbow stuff rarely works out otherwise.  There are a few but…..McClanahan, Baz, Spings, Rasmussen, Painter, Dustin May, Mize, Alcantra, Dustin May again, looks like Urquidy today and about 37 guys I forgot.  

It’s St. Patty’s day and the Yankees are borderline toast. ELL oh ELL

I agree on Bradish, I would have rather shut him down and get the surgery

"All I'll say is we're feeling pretty good," Judge said Monday. "The MRIs came back clean. I think a lot of it was precautionary; no need to risk stuff in spring training. ... The main goal is to be game ready for Opening Day, so we're just going to work toward that."

This will linger. 

Edited by Gugny

8 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Was getting curb stomped by Robby Cano on anyone’s 2024 Yankees bingo card?  If so, go collect.

Hilarious. On a side note, Bauer is such a piece of garbage. 

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don’t know the whole Bauer story.  Never really read it.

Cliff’s Notes Version:  Bauer thinks women are turned on by being punched in the face and va.gina by 6’1” 200 lb. professional athletes. 

Edited by Gugny