Backyard Birding II

SoTier

I just got on video a Bald Eagle plucking a fish out of the lake my backyard backs up to. Quite impressive. The eagle was huge. The fish was quite large.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

It dawned on me that I could take a screenshot and save it as photo. I am not advanced enough to post the actual video. Below is a snipit of the catch:

Bald eagle.jpg

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Shot this fella over the lock and dam w/600mm lens. Not sure how I got, but just aimed away!

Severely compressed to get it under for this site.

February 2018:

BaldEagleOverLockDam_022018.thumb.jpg.595ef9f20f814fd8358756bde6b03772.jpg

Great pic! Especially because it shows that even bald eagles sometimes neglect grooming before leaving the roost. The flight feathers are a mess.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

No pics unfortunately, but, I got a bunny murdering Grey Heron in my yard. 

It happened about 250 ft. from the back of the house. I didn’t see if it landed or walked up, but, it had it pinned and was stabbing it repeatedly.

Then swallowed it whole and flew away.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 6:35 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not sure if I posted these. Found them on my phone. It's the time for the finches and orioles to be passing through!GoldFinches.thumb.jpg.5f8a7a9583e5930f2f16a1d3d27a3f6a.jpgOriole@Feeder.thumb.jpg.9d9aeed843435e04a7f9e99739a73e2e.jpg

BaltimoreOriole@TheFeeder.thumb.jpg.0b8acf84135f5e9280b3bd40fd5e4959.jpg

We have a pair nesting around our camp in northern Cattaraugus County, NY.  I saw a male in the big black locust tree near our cabin several times when I was out there last week.  The locust tree was just leafing out so he was easy to see hunting .   I think he was hunting insects, as locusts are often afflicted with aphids. He always came and left in the same direction, so I think the nest was in one of the taller maples surrounded by a thicket of smaller trees about 50 or 60 yards  away.

5 hours ago, US Egg said:

No pics unfortunately, but, I got a bunny murdering Grey Heron in my yard. 

It happened about 250 ft. from the back of the house. I didn’t see if it landed or walked up, but, it had it pinned and was stabbing it repeatedly.

Then swallowed it whole and flew away.

I think you mean a Great Blue Heron, which look more gray than blue.   They are big (4' or 5' foot tall), nasty birds.  They usually hunt in ponds or quiet pools in creeks or rivers, but they're not shy about their prey, especially in nesting season.   I expect he/she will regurgitate the bunny for the young when it gets to its nest.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SoTier said:

We have a pair nesting around our camp in northern Cattaraugus County, NY.  I saw a male in the big black locust tree near our cabin several times when I was out there last week.  The locust tree was just leafing out so he was easy to see hunting .   I think he was hunting insects, as locusts are often afflicted with aphids. He always came and left in the same direction, so I think the nest was in one of the taller maples surrounded by a thicket of smaller trees about 50 or 60 yards  away.

I think you mean a Great Blue Heron, which look more gray than blue.   They are big (4' or 5' foot tall), nasty birds.  They usually hunt in ponds or quiet pools in creeks or rivers, but they're not shy about their prey, especially in nesting season.   I expect he/she will regurgitate the bunny for the young when it gets to its nest.  

Yeah... Grey heron is in Europe, Asia, & Africa...