Bills Positional Coach Hires

KingBoots8

25 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree that so many promotions from within seems kind of weird.  When I ran business organizations, I mostly promoted from within but liked to hire from the outside sometimes for fresh ideas.  But all the Bills' promotions are obvious...

Babich has a thin (ish) resume but has been around football all his life and performed well in his stints as a position coach.   Many think he's a young, up-and-coming talent.  Dodson called him, "The best coach I've ever had, hands down."  

West likewise has earned praise from players and might be another emerging coaching star.

Holcomb has been a LB and DC before.  Seems like an obvious choice for LBers.  

Brady is the only promotion I'm not entirely comfortable with.  I didn't think he was awesome in his tryout as an OC.  But maybe an offseason will allow him to implement his ideas better.  I was hoping we'd find someone better but I'm not sure how hard McD looked.  Sometimes there are phone calls and interviews that don't make the news.  

The new QB coach could come from the outside though Mike Shula, an internal guy, might be the more obvious choice.  

Very well could. The Bills do have a few guys that they could give the job to on staff, though.

- Marc Lubick Asst. WR Coach. Spent 2017 as Buffalo's assistant QB coach.

- Kyle Shurmur. Started working with defense last year. Switched to offense QC this year. Former QB. Maybe he's the Assistant QB coach next year?

-DJ Mangas. 

None of them would shock me at all, either. My guess may be Mangas QB coach, Shurmur assistant QB coach.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I do believe this is one of McDermott's faults... to an extent. 

It's great for continuity, etc .. I get that but there has to be new faces, new ideas, new concepts, new coaches that are going to challenge and move the needle for us. 

It's been said on here 10000x about the definition of insanity.... and this is proving to be true. Keeping all of the same people in the building and on staff is not a recipe to 'get over the hump" 

hell, I dont think our special teams coordinator lost his job and they were atrocious this year. 

I agree with u and this should prove that Mcd is a control freak wants things done only his way. The Bills probably run the least wide 9, stunts and twists then any team in the league. Seems like we're always rushing the same way on every play. If anyone can correct please do. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

19 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bringing in big names doesn’t always work

out. Look no further than our rival Dolphins. They hired Fangio to get them over the hump and stop Josh Allen

0-2 vs the Bills

Wildcard exit

Need a new DC

Everyone points to spags but you could just as easily get Fangio and have nothing to show for it 

The Dolphins D was one of best during the 2nd half of the season u can't blame Fangio for the injuries that occurred right before the playoffs they were missing 7 starters on defense against KC and still held them to less yds and pts then the Bills gave up to KC. I realize we also had injuries but Fangio did a great job with the Dolphins.

• Disagree 1

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Very well could. The Bills do have a few guys that they could give the job to on staff, though.

- Marc Lubick Asst. WR Coach. Spent 2017 as Buffalo's assistant QB coach.

- Kyle Shurmur. Started working with defense last year. Switched to offense QC this year. Former QB. Maybe he's the Assistant QB coach next year?

-DJ Mangas. 

None of them would shock me at all, either. My guess may be Mangas QB coach, Shurmur assistant QB coach.

Brady was an outside hire 2 years ago.  When Daboll left Doursey was promoted they brought in Brady.  An offensive assistant under Sean Payton.  Passing game coordinator for Burrows hiesman/natty run.  Had a rough stint in Carolina but since Tepper took over that place looks like a dumpster fire.

Mind you both Beane and Mcdermott were hired as interns.  They both started at the bottom of buildings and moved up.  They will lean into that vs going outside.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree with u and this should prove that Mcd is a control freak wants things done only his way. The Bills probably run the least wide 9, stunts and twists then any team in the league. Seems like we're always rushing the same way on every play. If anyone can correct please do. 

We run a ton of stunts this year. We don't run a ton of wide 9 though. That is true.

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The Dolphins D was one of best during the 2nd half of the season u can't blame Fangio for the injuries that occurred right before the playoffs they were missing 7 starters on defense against KC and still held them to less yds and pts then the Bills gave up to KC. I realize we also had injuries but Fangio did a great job with the Dolphins.

He really didn't. They were better but not better enough for the talent level on that team.

21 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Brady was an outside hire 2 years ago.  When Daboll left Doursey was promoted they brought in Brady.  An offensive assistant under Sean Payton.  Passing game coordinator for Burrows hiesman/natty run.  Had a rough stint in Carolina but since Tepper took over that place looks like a dumpster fire.

Mind you both Beane and Mcdermott were hired as interns.  They both started at the bottom of buildings and moved up.  They will lean into that vs going outside.  

I'm well aware of Brady's history. At some point most hires are "outside" hires. As you said, he had 2 years in Buffalo. Makes it an internal hire. 

And again, nothing wrong with hiring internally. Especially when the program has been successful. You fill the pipeline from outside, teach them your ways, promote and refill the pipeline. It's understandable. 

My only contention is that they don't seem to take advantage of the opening to interview anyone other than the 2 mandatory minority candidates. Good chance to network and get a feel for some of the young up and commers in person. It's a missed opportunity IMO.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm well aware of Brady's history. At some point most hires are "outside" hires. As you said, he had 2 years in Buffalo. Makes it an internal hire. 

And again, nothing wrong with hiring internally. Especially when the program has been successful. You fill the pipeline from outside, teach them your ways, promote and refill the pipeline. It's understandable. 

My only contention is that they don't seem to take advantage of the opening to interview anyone other than the 2 mandatory minority candidates. Good chance to network and get a feel for some of the young up and commers in person. It's a missed opportunity IMO.

I don't mind so much on DC. It is going to be McDermott's show in any event and they have an up and coming guy on staff who they needed to retain. 

On OC this was a really pivitol hire. I feel like Brady was probably the right outcome. But they should have run a proper search IMO. Brought a Kellen Moore in, a Kliff Kingsbury, a Davis Webb. I do think Thad Lewis made sense and was a credible candidate, but he was the only other candidate they interviewed as far as we know. So while he was a credible candidate his interview here was to fulfill the requirements before they hired Brady.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.