Core concepts of Joe Brady's offense

1 hour ago, finn said:

Was Davis really a downfield threat? It's always seemed to me he was just a guy out there, with average WR speed, average hands, and little ability to get separation. His success, one could say, was entirely due to a future HOF QB throwing to him.

I'm willing to learn that I've been wrong about him, though. What did you see or know that I didn't describe here? 

He was top-10 in yards per reception in all 4 years here which is usually a sign that he was used in a downfield role.  I'd say his ability to work the downfield sidelines is a very good trait.  He never developed into a jump ball contested catch guy, but his sideline backshoulder moves were good.  33 TDs in 4 seasons is nothing to sniff at, and he wasn't a major red zone threat in that time frame.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, appoo said:

Gabe filled the role exactly as you’d want him to. The problem was that when John brown left, all he had was Diggs as 2nd deep threat, and the bills lacked a true a slot weapon when they tried to fill Cole Beasleys role with Isiah McKenzie. So the Bills became a bit stagnant in route concepts, and having a rookie OC didn’t help either.  

Last half of last season, when it because apparent that Diggs had lost a bit of his top end speed (he’s still got elite quickness and acceleration), Davis was the lone deep threat on the roster. He was never good enough to be a guy who’s gonna beat a corner and over the top safety help at the same time. He’s not that kind of burner.  

With Curtis Samuel in as a secondary deep threat along with being intermediate and underneath, and a plethora of true intermediate/middle route runners, then someone exactly like Davis is what the bills need to take this offense to the next level - which is an elite offense. 

Ladd McKonkey, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Leagette…some real options in this draft of dudes who can win deep. The reach pick would be Rome Odunze, who to me is the souped up version of Gabe Davis

With the addition of Samuel, I think the perfect Gabe Davis replacement in this draft is Brian Thomas Jr. He's bigger, faster and more fluid than Davis. He's a deep threat and a red zone TD machine. Plus he caught 78% of his passes last year. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

With the addition of Samuel, I think the perfect Gabe Davis replacement in this draft is Brian Thomas Jr. He's bigger, faster and more fluid than Davis. He's a deep threat and a red zone TD machine. Plus he caught 78% of his passes last year. 

Beane is going to need to move up to get him

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:54 AM, finn said:

Was Davis really a downfield threat? It's always seemed to me he was just a guy out there, with average WR speed, average hands, and little ability to get separation. His success, one could say, was entirely due to a future HOF QB throwing to him.

I'm willing to learn that I've been wrong about him, though. What did you see or know that I didn't describe here? 

He didn't have great speed.  In theory, when it was working, he's physical and good at contested catches.  He definitely caught a few deep balls in his tenure with the Bills.

Edited by BigAl2526

6 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

He didn't have great speed.  In theory, when it was working, he's physical and good at contested catches.  He definitely caught a few deep balls in his tenure with the Bills.

Yes, I'll always appreciate him for those deep balls, against KC in the playoffs especially, but also the long TD he caught in stride when Allen was throwing from the end zone under heavy pressure. 

The pessimist in me sees a player just good enough to delay Beane from investing in the WR position before now, which might have made the difference the past two years between the Super Bowl and merely the playoffs.

Still, I wish him luck. He seemed like a good guy, and he worked hard. 

On 1/30/2024 at 4:01 PM, Don Otreply said:

It’s not so much the plays themselves, it is when in a sequence of plays that a given play is called, and what formation it is run out of, in an attempt to get the defensive to hesitate in coverage, then it comes down to execution, and the talent to pull

it off, jmo. 

I call BS on this theory, he had the team under his management for more than half the season, with the bye week, I don’t buy him not being able to teach professional players to tun the same concepts out of a few different looks.  What is practice for after training camp? Just re-running all the same stuff for 20 weeks? I doubt that.

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I call BS on this theory, he had the team under his management for more than half the season, with the bye week, I don’t buy him not being able to teach professional players to tun the same concepts out of a few different looks.  What is practice for after training camp? Just re-running all the same stuff for 20 weeks? I doubt that.

Okay, not sure what you’re getting at, in response to my response to another poster but whatever, 😁👍