KC and the Run Blitz

Don't think this topic has been raised yet..

Bills had great success running the ball in the 1st half, and then KC made some adjustments.  When they saw the Bills 3rd tackle in the game, they would add a player or 2 into the box, and quite frequently send a DB on a run blitz. 

It ground the running game to a halt, as Cook had nowhere to run. The Bills pretty much abandoned the run in short order as they were having inconsistant or limited success.

My question is why not counter with some called play action out of those formations with quick hitting slants and seam routes to keep those DBs off the line?

Second question was did Allen recognize the run blitz was coming and have the ability to check out of it?

Not sure the Bills threw at all out of that formation the whole game.

It should be noted that most teams use a 2nd or 3rd blocking tight end instead of a tackle because while eligible,  he poses little threat as a receiver.

• Agree 2

They did. They actually threw a couple times out of the extra linemen formation.

It's actually quite amazing They ran as well as they did straight at them. They really didn't have much success running wide all game that I recall. 

The issue with the run blitz is if you get it blocked up you can spring a really long run as there is no last line of defense from the secondary. It's a gamble. Chiefs won the gamble. 

Biggest issue offensively in the game was no WR made an impact and there were 3 dropped long balls. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Don't think this topic has been raised yet..

Bills had great success running the ball in the 1st half, and then KC made some adjustments.  When they saw the Bills 3rd tackle in the game, they would add a player or 2 into the box, and quite frequently send a DB on a run blitz. 

It ground the running game to a halt, as Cook had nowhere to run. The Bills pretty much abandoned the run in short order as they were having inconsistant or limited success.

My question is why not counter with some called play action out of those formations with quick hitting slants and seam routes to keep those DBs off the line?

Second question was did Allen recognize the run blitz was coming and have the ability to check out of it?

Not sure the Bills threw at all out of that formation the whole game.

It should be noted that most teams use a 2nd or 3rd blocking tight end instead of a tackle because while eligible,  he poses little threat as a receiver.

I was screaming for more play action in the 2nd half.  Especially on 1st down but Brady just forced Cook up the middle. Alot of 2nd & 9's. Brady is clearly better than Dorsey but he's got stuff to improve on. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Brady did a good job outside of two drives in a row in the 3rd quarter.

Chiefs were begging the bills to throw but we stubbornly kept running it which resulted in back to back 2nd and longs. Which led to back to back 3 and outs.

Sometimes that's the difference when the margins are so small

23 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I thought Brady did a good job outside of two drives in a row in the 3rd quarter.

Chiefs were begging the bills to throw but we stubbornly kept running it which resulted in back to back 2nd and longs. Which led to back to back 3 and outs.

Sometimes that's the difference when the margins are so small

Those two drives proved to be the ballgame. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I was screaming for more play action in the 2nd half.  Especially on 1st down but Brady just forced Cook up the middle. Alot of 2nd & 9's. Brady is clearly better than Dorsey but he's got stuff to improve on. 

Hopefully he does it in Atlanta 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.