McDermott - Excuses, Valid but concerning

SCBills

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Elam is a scheme fit issue. Williams is not that. He is at a more basic level struggling to adjust to the league

and 20 weeks in he hadn't figured anything out to perhaps earn a start over a man who has no place on an nfl roster?  we had a single stop, one single stop, all day.  williams made one, was robbed w a cheap call, and came out and made another to force a punt w the season on the line.

and once again, you are simply making a just so argument without considering what we saw, we saw certain defeat with aj, plays by williams, and plays by elam.  what was elam going to do, allow the same zero stops that we were giving up?  oh noes!

and as i mentioned above, we can't prep a guy or make a change in the scheme?  simply not possible?

mcd is said to live at the facility, i think all evidence shows he is too stubborn, at least at times, and was clearly so vs kc until it was too late (he did put williams in)

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, colin said:

and 20 weeks in he hadn't figured anything out to perhaps earn a start over a man who has no place on an nfl roster?  we had a single stop, one single stop, all day.  williams made one, was robbed w a cheap call, and came out and made another to force a punt w the season on the line.

and once again, you are simply making a just so argument without considering what we saw, we saw certain defeat with aj, plays by williams, and plays by elam.  what was elam going to do, allow the same zero stops that we were giving up?  oh noes!

and as i mentioned above, we can't prep a guy or make a change in the scheme?  simply not possible?

mcd is said to live at the facility, i think all evidence shows he is too stubborn, at least at times, and was clearly so vs kc until it was too late (he did put williams in)

I am not neglecting what we saw. What we saw was a guy who struggled to line up properly. 

• Eyeroll 1

You guys all wanting McD gone are simply wasting your time complaining about him as he isn't going anywhere this year.  Instead, you could be spending your time looking at the free-agent market and upcoming draft.

A real youth movement in the draft might really help this team going forward.

Anyway, look at the Baltimore Ravens for the last five years in struggling just to make the playoffs and they have been struck with injuries the past few seasons. Now they are on the verge of perhaps another Super Bowl and John Harbaugh has been there 15 seasons. The Ravens didn't even make the playoffs for three seasons and they didn't fire him. It took him 5 years to get to an SB. 

The Buffalo Bills just have had the bad luck to face the Chiefs with Andy Reid as HC and Patrick Mahomes as QB the last few years. That and injuries.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You guys all wanting McD gone are simply wasting your time complaining about him as he isn't going anywhere this year.  Instead, you could be spending your time looking at the free-agent market and upcoming draft.

Just one more for the road..

Daboll is wearing out his welcome in NY.  The Giants fire Brian Daboll..

The Giants hire Bill Belicheck who is itching to come back and has respect of the Giants ownership.

The Bills fire McDermott and bring Daboll home to be head coach.  The Josh/Daboll partnership is back together for a SB run.

Are we good?

• Shocked 1

It doesn’t matter what Sean McDermott excuses are the bottom line he failed against Andy Reid again. If Andy Reid retires and Sean McDermott wants the Kansas City Chiefs head coaching job he should take it. Sean McDermott problem is he has been here in Buffalo too long and eventually the message of repeating the same tired coaching cliches gets old. I just think if Sean McDermott fails next season it is best he moves on from the Buffalo Bills organization. I still think Sean McDermott is best suited as a college head football coach like Penn State they need a head coach since they can’t beat Michigan or Ohio State. Maybe Penn State alum Terry Pegula can point Sean McDermott there. I just feel Sean McDermott isn’t a NFL head coach he is better suited as a college head coach running a big college program in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Just one more for the road..

Daboll is wearing out his welcome in NY.  The Giants fire Brian Daboll..

The Giants hire Bill Belicheck who is itching to come back and has respect of the Giants ownership.

The Bills fire McDermott and bring Daboll home to be head coach.  The Josh/Daboll partnership is back together for a SB run.

Are we good?

I dont know it seems Daboll isn't a people person.   In terms of him and Sean it seems Daboll was the d!ck (at least that's likely according to reports from the Giants).

I know Sean isn't going anywhere and these discussions may be pointless.  The reason to have these conversations is that we at least need to pinpoint at what point we DO move on from him.  Josh not winning a championship is not acceptable.   It will be just as regrettable as losing 4 superbowls maybe more.   

The best coaches, to me, adapt their systems to personnel.   Belichick teams always did.  He's won multiple titles more on the back of his D than Brady.  Our coach seems incapable of this.  I don't want change for the sake of change.  I want change to be smarter and more adaptable.  

So if we bomb out next season do we make a move?  2 years?  4?  At what point does Josh get frustrated (though he seems incapable)?  

First of all the Buffalo offense needs some big-time help in terms of better wide receivers. It's not just the injuries to the defense that held the Chiefs to 27 points.

The Buffalo Bills against the Chiefs in this past playoff game didn't have an offensive play for more than 20 yards and the longest play was a run by Josh Allen.

WTF happened to that vaunted Buffalo passing game we all saw in 2020?

Diggs took the last few playoffs off for whatever reason, Davis was out injured and the only guys who did well were the TEs and Shakir who was in the slot. The others stunk it up.

Buffalo desperately needs a new #1 WR and a #2 WR with one who can get open all the time and one that is a deep burner. 

If Josh Allen had that this season in the playoffs the Bills would be headed to the AFC Championship game along with a possible SB.

16 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

First of all the Buffalo offense needs some big-time help in terms of better wide receivers. It's not just the injuries to the defense that held the Chiefs to 27 points.

The Buffalo Bills against the Chiefs in this past playoff game didn't have an offensive play for more than 20 yards and the longest play was a run by Josh Allen.

Diggs took the last few playoffs off for whatever reason, Davis was out injured and the only guys who did well were the TEs and Shakir who was in the slot. The others stunk it up.

Buffalo desperately needs a new #1 WR and a #2 WR with one who can get open all the time and one that is a deep burner. 

If Josh Allen had that this season in the playoffs the Bills would be headed to the AFC Championship game along with a possible SB.

The Bills definitely need to hit a HR in the draft in getting Allen another weapon in the WR corps. As for the Chiefs game the Bills were trying to protect their injury riddled defense by playing ball control and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible. Similar to what the Giants did in the Super Bowl vs the Bills and it almost worked.

44 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The GM thought Gabe was a #2, then he doubled down and blamed his inconsistent play on an ankle injury in the off-season. Shakir is starting to show promise, hopefully he does’t take that for granted this off season. We need way better play out of that position. 

On 1/22/2024 at 11:00 AM, BigDingus said:

Let's not forget Andy Reid's playoff history before Mahomes.

How many NFC playoff games did he lose with those Eagles teams? Then a few more with the Chiefs. It took him a long, long time to get where he is now. 

McDermott doesn't have the wins now, but Reid made the playoffs a dozen times before getting over the hump (yes, he did make a SB appearance with the Eagles once too).

It took Reid having a great QB to get there, what’s the plan, replace Allen with somebody better?

17 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I know Sean isn't going anywhere and these discussions may be pointless.  The reason to have these conversations is that we at least need to pinpoint at what point we DO move on from him.  Josh not winning a championship is not acceptable.   It will be just as regrettable as losing 4 superbowls maybe more.   

The best coaches, to me, adapt their systems to personnel.   Belichick teams always did.  He's won multiple titles more on the back of his D than Brady.  Our coach seems incapable of this.  I don't want change for the sake of change.  I want change to be smarter and more adaptable.  

So if we bomb out next season do we make a move?  2 years?  4?  At what point does Josh get frustrated (though he seems incapable)?  

Josh is not incapable of being frustrated, he is just good at toeing the line in the public eye.  I guarantee you he isn’t blind to the fact this is team is nothing without him and the Defense collapses at every big moment, just like their leader.

• Disagree 1

19 hours ago, Gregg said:

The Bills definitely need to hit a HR in the draft in getting Allen another weapon in the WR corps. As for the Chiefs game the Bills were trying to protect their injury riddled defense by playing ball control and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible. Similar to what the Giants did in the Super Bowl vs the Bills and it almost worked.

It wasn't that the Bills didn't try and go deep a few times...alas, Diggs didn't catch that one deep bomb that could have really changed the game and both Sherfield and Harty were useless. Shakir missed a deep middle pass, and Sherfield missed a deep pass. But yeah, they wanted to keep Mahomes off the field as much as they could and it did almost work.

Alas, Mr Bass.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.