Von Miller Celebrated 169 Days Sober

boyst

15 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Same thing. No sympathy from me. 

Do better and when/if you do....you dont get a freaking standing O for doing what youre supposed to.

I had a counselor tell me this when I was in rehab, albeit in a more compassionate way.

Some people get on what’s called a “pink cloud” and find their sobriety is such a relief and so wonderful they want to tell the world about it. Sometimes they want credit for being sober too. This often rubs loved ones the wrong way because: 1) they do not understand addiction, and/or 2) they have been so damaged by the addict/alcoholic that they are hurt, resentful and not willing to celebrate someone that harmed them. 

This was my experience and when I got push back from my family when I tried to take credit for my recovery, my counselor basically said “No one is going to pat you on the back for what you are doing. Do it for yourself and eventually your family will see the changes and then they may or may not be happy for you”.  My brother, who was a social worker, told me the same thing. That was hard to hear but was sound advice.

Celebrities that are active on social media want and need attention from their audience for various reasons. Von may just be celebrating his early sobriety and “coming out” to encourage others.  Or he may be looking for empathy to deflect negative attention about his on field performance. Only Von can say which it is. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The vitriol on this board toward Von is bizarre.

I hope his injury heals, so he can play another couple years here to the level he was at just last year, I hope the legal situation was all a big misunderstanding, and I hope he continues on his path to healing. 

Why don’t we let the legal system take its course before people start skewering him. Haven’t we learned our lesson with the punter?

Just passing along two notes I found interesting...

1) he posted he reached 175 and said he is going to go for a year.

2) he has posted a bunch more like he used to do prior to his injury last year.

On the latter i think this means he is either pandering to market himself and drum up his self promotion.

--OR--

He is finally back mentally to what he needs to be to be hismelf. he had his best game Monday for the season. 2 pressures and looked more active in just 17 snaps.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.