Josh Allen now tied with Troy Aikman for career Passing TDs

Billzgobowlin

19 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Nope. Everywhere it was widely known that Hasek was all-time incredible. On an interesting, and related, note, he stayed at a hotel I worked in back in 2000. I had heard that he was prickly and difficult, but he was anything but. Truly gracious and had a lovely family.

He was known as great, but not GOAT. At least outside of Buffalo, in hockey history circles. 

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Nope. Everywhere it was widely known that Hasek was all-time incredible. On an interesting, and related, note, he stayed at a hotel I worked in back in 2000. I had heard that he was prickly and difficult, but he was anything but. Truly gracious and had a lovely family.

Here’s the 1999 issue of THN where they rank Hasek #95. This would’ve been near the end of his Sabres career and his NHL peak. He won a cup with the Red Wings in 2002 on a stacked team. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/the-top-100-nhl-players-of-all-time-throwback-style

6 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

They essentially outlawed hitting the QB and playing bump-and-run coverage on receivers, which is the main reason for the sizable statistical difference.

Exactly.  QB’s used to be just bludgeoned.  Guys came in high and low, and could hit you in the head w impughnity.  And the QB’s never whined.  They just staggered off the field.  Remember Billy Kilmer and Sonny Jurgenson.   They looked drunk the way they moved around on the field.  

Qb’s have it easy now.  Easton Stick would have been seriously maimed in the old days.  The way the Bills treated Dak Prescott is as rough as it gets for QB’s in the modern NFL.  Not a lot of mean gratuitous violence.  But Josh would have been a baller in any era.  Mahomes would have been cheap shotted whenever possible for all his whining.  Was hoping someone on the Raiders would absolutely drill him late on the sideline today.  Lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Not only is Luck not a HOFer but anyone who's even a casual fan of the NFL can clearly see that Josh's career trajectory is a HOF one. He and Mahomes are obviously on schedule for Canton.

Josh Allen 165 passing 51 rushing 1 passing for 217 total in 92 games (2.36/game).

Patrick Mahomes 217 passing 12 rushing 0 passing for 229 total in 94 games (2.44/game).

Yeah, flowers for both guys. Definitely the new Manning/Brady competition of this decade. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Here’s the 1999 issue of THN where they rank Hasek #95. This would’ve been near the end of his Sabres career and his NHL peak. He won a cup with the Red Wings in 2002 on a stacked team. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/the-top-100-nhl-players-of-all-time-throwback-style

What a hilariously bad list.  Henri Richard higher than Marcel Dionne?  Newsy Lalonde?  Was this put together by an 80 year old?

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

10 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

What a hilariously bad list.  Henri Richard higher than Marcel Dionne?  Newsy Lalonde?  Was this put together by an 80 year old?

I will add in the fact that they list Patrick Roy higher than Dominik, they were in the league together for 11 years and Hasek was much better than him 9 of those years and they were basically equals twice. The only argument that Roy is better is that Hasek was stuck behind the Iron Curtain when Roy was the best. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

He is now. It was only after he retired did the hockey buffs really accept him as GOAT level. 

Maybe in Buffalo. 

What?

Hasek was must watch hockey for everybody in the league. His run in the late 90’s was one of the best stretches by any player in any sport. He single handily won the Olympics. Wayne forking Gretzky said Hasek was the best player in the world while he was playing. He is the only goalie to win the Hart trophy twice. And he did it back to back. 

Nobody ignored Hasek then woke up in 2010 like “oh shirt, have you seen this excel sheet. I think this Domink Hasek guy might have been pretty good”. 

Hasek was as big of a star as the league had to offer at his peak. 

It’s insane to say that people across the league didn’t recognize Hasek as a historical goaltender while he was playing. The only way I can wrap my head around this is it’s some sort of weird hipster flex like “oh I liked Hasek before other people liked Hasek”.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Aikman was borderline as could be for HOF concerning the relatively low totals, but it’s still yet another pretty awesome measurement for Josh. 

It’s like watching Connor McDavid blow by lists of greats, I think that’s the only modern stats nerd sports comparison in terms of just watching a modern dude topple previous legends at such a pace. For every Kdiggz tantrum Allen has another 40+ TD season. It’s insane to think Allen is normal. He has 11 effing rushing TDs this year and nobody even talks about it.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

What?

Hasek was must watch hockey for everybody in the league. His run in the late 90’s was one of the best stretches by any player in any sport. He single handily won the Olympics. Wayne forking Gretzky said Hasek was the best player in the world while he was playing. He is the only goalie to win the Hart trophy twice. And he did it back to back. 

Nobody ignored Hasek then woke up in 2010 like “oh shirt, have you seen this excel sheet. I think this Domink Hasek guy might have been pretty good”. 

Hasek was as big of a star as the league had to offer at his peak. 

It’s insane to say that people across the league didn’t recognize Hasek as a historical goaltender while he was playing. The only way I can wrap my head around this is it’s some sort of weird hipster flex like “oh I liked Hasek before other people liked Hasek”.

To add to it Hasek has 6 Vezina, more than any goalie in the voting era and the only guy with more than half that is Broduer who has 4. Hasek should have been a 3 time Hart trophy winner since his best year he did not win it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

To add to it Hasek has 6 Vezina, more than any goalie in the voting era and the only guy with more than half that is Broduer who has 4. Hasek should have been a 3 time Hart trophy winner since his best year he did not win it. 

You also have to consider his gold medal, which vaulted him onto the world stage.   It would be interesting  to see a new list and where he would rank.  Leading the Sabres to the Cup was no easy feat, and sure he played on a loaded Red Wings team, but most Cup winning goalies play on a loaded team (Fuhr, Roy, Billy Smith, Dryden).

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.