Big profile of Jason Peters - does anyone know who the bills assistant coach would have been?

dave mcbride

I still remember when we signed him as an undrafted free agent. Lot of folks on this board— me included— were beyond thrilled. I think a lot of us predicted his huge upside, though not to this extent.

I also will never forget that blocked punt and TD he had against Cincy. Just an unreal play.

Wish they could have worked something out with his contract and paid him his market value when he blossomed into a LT. Oh well.

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Based on the source I got it from, I'm quite certain that it's the truth (that Brown was the former player, that is). LOL all you want.

i'm sure PFR accurately listed his career longevity.  It's the part where some lowly intern is chewing out a starter on an NFL roster that your reference falls short.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

i'm sure PFR accurately listed his career longevity.  It's the part where some lowly intern is chewing out a starter on an NFL roster that your reference falls short.

Huh?? What’s your deal, man? Also, in his rookie season, Peters was the farthest thing from a starter. He was a UDFA on the roster bubble.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2023 at 12:40 AM, Limeaid said:

It may not be made up.  It may be mixed up from too many head injuries.

Head injuries don't have to be involved.

Just saw a story a couple of weeks ago about Antetokounmpo making up a story in his head and making himself believe it for motivation.

https://theathletic.com/3699137/2022/10/19/giannis-bucks-nba-season/

A rookie Mamukelashvili was remembered by Giannis as having said this before his first practice with the team:

“He said, ‘Yo, Giannis, I’m gonna shut you down in practice today.’ and I was just tying my shoe, but he did not know me,” Antetokounmpo told The Athletic. “It was like our first interaction, first time to meet somebody, but he didn’t know me. And he is like a kid that has so much energy, he loves to talk too much. He was like, ‘I’m gonna shut you down today. I’m going to bust your ass.’ And I was just tying my shoes. And I can see Jrue, I can see Khris was like …”

"As he tells the story, Antetokounmpo pretends to look up from tying his right shoe, raises an eyebrow, flashes a disproving look at the rookie, then gives the same glance to his teammates on the left and right and goes back to tying his shoe.

“They had the face (too),” Antetokounmpo recounted to The Athletic. “And I just, I didn’t say a word to him. I just tied my shoes. I did my lift, I had my vitamin. Practice started, I had one target: Mamu. And I killed him. The Bucks posted a video on the Bucks’ Instagram, social media.”

https://theathletic.com/3699137/2022/10/19/giannis-bucks-nba-season/

Then the reporter goes on to show the guy never said anything nearly that disrespectful. Some of these guys just nurse stuff that they can use to give them a sense of disrespect, whether it happened or not.

It sounded possible on first reading (as did the Giannis story), but with the research others have done here ....

That's probably what happened.

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I still remember when we signed him as an undrafted free agent. Lot of folks on this board— me included— were beyond thrilled. I think a lot of us predicted his huge upside, though not to this extent.

I also will never forget that blocked punt and TD he had against Cincy. Just an unreal play.

Wish they could have worked something out with his contract and paid him his market value when he blossomed into a LT. Oh well.

God, yes, that blocked punt. Just absolutely insane!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It has come to my attention that Lomas Brown was a Bills coaching intern (unlisted) that year under Mouse McNally. Brown played for McNally for two years with the Giants in the late 1990s near the end of his career, and was under his supervision as intern. He played o-line for 18 years, so that solves the riddle! https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowLo00.htm (also, @Just Jack). 

Wow, nice pickup.

1985 - 2002. 

It's got to have been him. And here I was thinking he's Giannised it out of nowhere. 

Thanks.

On 12/21/2023 at 1:30 AM, djp14150 said:

They traded him for just 2 1st round pick that was a lat 1st.  They should have gotten more.

The 28th overall and a 4th rounder.

He was worth more but in those circumstances they weren't going to get more.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lomas Brown if not mistaken HOF o lineman trying to get into coaching... hardly just your ordinary intern... played for years in Seattle as an all pro and I think the Vikings off the top of my head.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:44 AM, BearNorth said:

But McNally by that time had been coaching in the league for 23 years.  Maybe something got lost in translation or the passing of time.

I sometimes work out at the ESporta gym at the south gate plaza. When I’m in town. I’ve seen McNally on and off over the last 10 years or so. You can’t miss him. His ears are even bigger in person. Maybe because he’s older now. 

8 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Lomas Brown if not mistaken HOF o lineman trying to get into coaching... hardly just your ordinary intern... played for years in Seattle as an all pro and I think the Vikings off the top of my head.

he was all pro in Detroit.  College HOF. 

his linked in and wiki don’t mention a coaching position with the Bills

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

he was all pro in Detroit.  College HOF. 

his linked in and wiki don’t mention a coaching position with the Bills

Probably because he quickly figured (or had it figured out for him) that the coaching grind wasn’t his thing. 500-750-word Wikipedia entries as a rule don’t include every life detail, particularly short-lived, failed/quickly abandoned attempts at a new gig. I 100 percent trust the person who told me this.

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.