Beane Presser 12.6.23 - interesting comments on Von

Rigotz

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Was Miller there when the police arrived?  On video shown doing this?  Did someone else witness it?  

Outside of that, this ends up being a "he said, she said" situation and that is called "hearsay" in a court of law.

Remember, just like Denzell famously said in Training Day - "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove!"

Well, police and medical staff signed court documents confirming injuries consistent with the assault she reported when calling 911. 

She called 911 reporting abuse, just as she accused him of abuse in 2021. 

Then she “recanted” her statements in similarly eerie fashion. 

NFL is notorious for not giving a crap about DV. 

I’m sure there is nothing to see here though, just keep being good at sports ball. 

19 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Well, police and medical staff signed court documents confirming injuries consistent with the assault she reported when calling 911. 

She called 911 reporting abuse, just as she accused him of abuse in 2021. 

Then she “recanted” her statements in similarly eerie fashion. 

NFL is notorious for not giving a crap about DV. 

I’m sure there is nothing to see here though, just keep being good at sports ball. 

Yes...and when those people are cross examined by the defense attorney do you know how it's going to go?

Def Attorney: "You stated you examined her and found evidence of assault?"

Medical Staff: "Yes, that is correct."

Def Attorney: "Did you see Mr. Miller commit these alleged acts?"

Medical Staff: "Well no, but..."

Def Attorney: "Are you aware of any video evidence that exists that shows Mr. Miller committing these alleged acts? People who were witnesses to these alleged acts?"

Medical Staff: "Not to my knowledge, but..."

Def. Attorney: "So they could have been committed by anyone then? Or even by her falling off a bike? Or tripping over a curb? Or really anything that would cause her to fall and get some minor scrapes or cuts then correct?"

Medical Staff: "Well, yes I suppose,  but..."

Def. Attorney: "No further questions, your honor."

Again...the DA is going to look like a fool without better evidence than that.  DA's don't typically like looking like fools, especially in high profile cases.

Sorry you can't just convict people by anyone saying anything.  So if a random person calls up and says they saw you assaulting someone at work today, by your logic, you should be suspended from work until the investigation is completed right? You must be guilty because someone said you did it, right? I mean why would they lie?  Or does this logic only work when it's someone else, but not when it's you?

I am not saying Von didn't do it, I am just saying based on what they have, they are going to have a very very hard time PROVING Von did it...and that's what matters.  Not what someone says, or what someone "knows must be true". It's what you can prove in a court of law beyond  a reasonable doubt.  I think there is a very large amount of reasonable doubt in this in terms of their case.

Also wouldn't be the first time a person embellishes what happened in this situation in the moment while emotions are high and then realizes they better tone the story down a little bit because they made it seem far worse than what actually happened. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Yes...and when those people are cross examined by the defense attorney do you know how it's going to go?

Def Attorney: "You stated you examined her and found evidence of assault?"

Medical Staff: "Yes, that is correct."

Def Attorney: "Did you see Mr. Miller commit these acts?"

Medical Staff: "Well no, but..."

Def. Attorney: "So they could have been committed by anyone then correct? Or even by her falling off a bike?"

Medical Staff: "Well, yes I suppose,  but..."

Def. Attorney: "No further questions, your honor."

Again...the DA is going to look like a fool without better evidence than that.  DA's don't typically like looking like fools, especially in high profile cases.

What the actual ****?

Here is how that DA convo really goes down.

Texas DA: Is a Texas legend?

Yes

Texas DA: Pro Football Player?

Yes

Texas DA: Future Hall of Famer?

Yes

Texas DA: I don’t see enough here to really prosecute him. Let the NFL know we won’t be pursuing.

NFL: He sells jerseys and tickets, we won’t either. 

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

What the actual ****?

Here is how that DA convo really goes down.

Texas DA: Is a Texas legend?

Yes

Texas DA: Pro Football Player?

Yes

Texas DA: Future Hall of Famer?

Yes

Texas DA: I don’t see enough here to really prosecute him. Let the NFL know we won’t be pursuing.

NFL: He sells jerseys and tickets, we won’t either. 

I said defense attorney, not DA.  As in Miller's defense attorney, not the prosecuting DA for Texas.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This is clearly going to be swept under the rug, I just think the parallels between the two DV claims are enough to “not pass the sniff test,” as so they say. 

Yes … most have been saying since she recanted her story that nothing would happen…

On 12/7/2023 at 1:21 PM, Mango said:

Are you an attorney by chance? 

I have posited a few times that I think a lot of the grey area about charges or lack there of is the league/Bills working to try and bury the body cam and recordings submitted to police during the incident. 

No, I'm law enforcement. Most of my experience is federal, but a healthy dose of a few different states. 

I think the grey area occurs because there are some stages of the court process where essentially charges get levied in different degrees. 

Plus, we are talking about semantics .....which is a critical and complex legal question. 

For example the term "arrested" or "arrest" is a legally broad term that has been applied to substantial detentions, probable cause based arrests, or formal arrests via indictments or complaints. 

Von is facing the last type. It's the most substantial/ strongest and typically requires a judge to review and sign the warrant. That's the rub here; some folks spent time and effort here. 

I honestly don't think the Bills or NFL would try to bury the cam footage. Most of that can be FOIA'd via Texas / Dallas process. The state and local usually release them eventually - most of the time fairly quickly. The only reason I can't think is maybe to protect victims in DV they have some restrictions. 

I'd bet the local radio station is working hard to get the footage as well. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.