New Cuse football coach

JMM

Ok Cuse fans what are your thoughts on the hiring of Fran Brown? I'm quite skeptical, I know he's an up and Comer but never even been a coordinator.  I know he's supposedly a great recruiter, and will have the Georgia coattails, but PSU and ND hired GREAT recruiters,  how's that working out for them. When I saw Dan Mullin rumored over the weekend I was excited. Maybe it will work out well.

Mullen?

I would be horrified if his name came up as a HC possibility.

You need recruiting in order to acquire talent, and NY state is not a hot bed of football talent.

It may not be the dumpster fire Nebraska is, but its not Florida either.

In Florida, you can tie a hundred dollar bill to piece of string, drag it behind you, and acquire multiple talented players.

Mullen and his staff were not big on recruiting apparently.

And that was a problem.

Being at a Florida school and not actively recruiting the instate talent was not only insanely stupid, that is practically criminal.

Brown may or may not fail.

Its a pretty solid bet Mullen would have.

• Like (+1) 1

Depends on how much Syracuse is willing to invest in NIL.

Dan Mullen is a great X's and O's coach.  Not a big recruiter, but if you throw around enough money now, that doesn't matter a ton.  

Conversely, Fran Brown is an elite recruiter, but if you don't have money to back it up, it's hard to compete for recruits in semi-pro football.

Given we went with Fran Brown, and Fran Brown agreed to coach Syracuse - to me - means we are willing to spend on NIL, because otherwise this is pointless. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

It doesn’t really matter who the Syracuse Orange football coach is you can’t win there in a Southern Football Conference the ACC. The Big East Conference Syracuse was competitive with the exception if they had to play Miami Hurricanes. I just don’t see it. Syracuse Orange football got hurt going to the ACC and also UB Bulls going Division I to the MAC took away a lot of the Buffalo and Rochester kids that were satisfied sitting on the Syracuse Orange bench as depth because they literally had no where in Western New York to go to play Division I football. It was a combination of things plus the money is getting to big in college football for Syracuse to compete. UB Bulls are at the perfect level the MAC were they can atleast compete and win bowl games. Kids don’t want to go to programs to lose that isn’t any fun. There was nothing wrong with Dino Babers he won in the MAC at Bowling Green. The problem is Syracuse Orange football in a power football conference the ACC. Syracuse Orange should place there Olympic sports and basketball teams in the Big East Conference like Connecticut Huskies and try to get the Syracuse Orange football program in the MAC because that is where Syracuse Orange football belongs the MAC if we are all telling it like it is in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 11/29/2023 at 11:59 AM, Cynical said:

Mullen?

I would be horrified if his name came up as a HC possibility.

You need recruiting in order to acquire talent, and NY state is not a hot bed of football talent.

It may not be the dumpster fire Nebraska is, but its not Florida either.

In Florida, you can tie a hundred dollar bill to piece of string, drag it behind you, and acquire multiple talented players.

Mullen and his staff were not big on recruiting apparently.

And that was a problem.

Being at a Florida school and not actively recruiting the instate talent was not only insanely stupid, that is practically criminal.

Brown may or may not fail.

Its a pretty solid bet Mullen would have.

Mullen really is a fine coach but he is more suited to the NFL than to college. Coaching in college requires far more work imo. Mullen was unwilling or unable to recruit.

On 11/28/2023 at 5:02 PM, JMM said:

Ok Cuse fans what are your thoughts on the hiring of Fran Brown? I'm quite skeptical, I know he's an up and Comer but never even been a coordinator.  I know he's supposedly a great recruiter, and will have the Georgia coattails, but PSU and ND hired GREAT recruiters,  how's that working out for them. When I saw Dan Mullin rumored over the weekend I was excited. Maybe it will work out well.

UB hired a pretty good recruiter that wasn’t a coordinator. It’s working out really well for them. 

/

Fran Brown’s staff, recruiting-wise, is absurd.  

Fran Brown, Elijah Robinson, Nick Williams and Khalil Ahmad.  With other big names potentially on deck…

The OC is reportedly Jeff Nixon, former Baylor OC, current Giants RB coach. 

Syracuse might just be able to start locking down the majority of NE 4 star talent. 

They have 7 guys visiting this weekend .. all have offers from Penn State, Georgia and/or Alabama. 

The big move will be what they do at portal QB and if they can bring in a few difference makers and keep Allen, Villari and Gadsen (if he doesn’t go pro) in the fold.   

They have a cake schedule next year and need to take advantage of it to keep momentum going.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Fran Brown’s staff, recruiting-wise, is absurd.  

Fran Brown, Elijah Robinson, Nick Williams and Khalil Ahmad.  With other big names potentially on deck…

The OC is reportedly Jeff Nixon, former Baylor OC, current Giants RB coach. 

Syracuse might just be able to start locking down the majority of NE 4 star talent. 

They have 7 guys visiting this weekend .. all have offers from Penn State, Georgia and/or Alabama. 

The big move will be what they do at portal QB and if they can bring in a few difference makers and keep Allen, Villari and Gadsen (if he doesn’t go pro) in the fold.   

They have a cake schedule next year and need to take advantage of it to keep momentum going.  

I hope you’re right, I’ve always believed Syracuse had potential to land most Northeast talent with the right people in charge. My concern is most Syracuse fans and people in the know seem quite negative about SU landing any talent. The Syracuse fan boards are overwhelmingly negative about Syracuse being able to recruit any better than a MAC team. I’m not sure where that comes from. 

9 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I hope you’re right, I’ve always believed Syracuse had potential to land most Northeast talent with the right people in charge. My concern is most Syracuse fans and people in the know seem quite negative about SU landing any talent. The Syracuse fan boards are overwhelmingly negative about Syracuse being able to recruit any better than a MAC team. I’m not sure where that comes from. 

It’s been beaten into us over a decade of losing and a terrible recruiter as HC, coupled with a University that has never seemed willing to embrace the financial necessities to compete at the “higher levels”, not even the highest, because that may never be attainable, but the higher levels even (think UNC, Miami, NC State, because Clemson/FSU is a pipe dream unless we get some really passionate donors)

It seems Wildhack and the University finally realize what’s at stake.  

They'll have the Dome renovations done soon.   They’ve poured money recently into football facilities.  They’re embracing NIL and the need for a community that supports it.   And, most importantly, they seem to have the blessing of money people.  

And what’s at stake is Syracuse’s involvement in high level football for the future decades.   It’s time to put up or shut up.   Realignment may pause for a few years, but it’s not done yet. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

In the very least, the new staff is working their tails off so far. I think we're up to like 8 four star recruits coming to visit this weekend, and it sounds like we're fairly certain a couple of them will end up committing. Would be a gigantic step in the right direction for us.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.