[OT - Music] I'm driving to work today...

...and I turn on the radio right before getting on the freeway.

So after I get on the freeway, I hear some of the lyrics of the song that's being played and I'm thinking, "Hey, I know this song - it's 'Eyes Without A Face' by Billy Idol".

But it's not Billy Idol, and it's being sung as a Big-Band ballad :w00t: , similar to Tony Bennett or Jack Jones, with lots of strings and horns. And after the song ends, the DJ identifies the singer:

Paul Anka?????? :w00t::w00t:

...and I turn on the radio right before getting on the freeway.

So after I get on the freeway, I hear some of the lyrics of the song that's being played and I'm thinking, "Hey, I know this song - it's 'Eyes Without A Face' by Billy Idol".

But it's not Billy Idol, and it's being sung as a Big-Band ballad :lol: , similar to Tony Bennett or Jack Jones, with lots of strings and horns. And after the song ends, the DJ identifies the singer:

Paul Anka?????? :w00t:  :w00t:

353308[/snapback]

When I was kid, we must have played my parents' copy of the 45 "Diana" (1957) about a million times! :lol: I wish I had all of those records from the 50's, when my folks were in their twenties. It would be interesting to see where they were at, back in their wilder times! :w00t:

He did a whole CD of pop/rock done Anka style.  I saw him on a talk show

353328[/snapback]

I can imagine the thought process. "Hey, Johnny Cash won Grammys with his covers of modern music. I can do the same."

The difference is this: Johnny Cash was cool; Paul Anka isn't.

Didn't Pat Boone try something similar?

Hey, hey, I grew up with Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon, Pat Boone, Elvis, Chuck Berry, the Kingston Trio and the rest of those 50s and early 60s acts. Great music, and no one got trampled, burned or injured in a mosh pit.

I guess it was pretty boring.

He was on Stern this morning.

Told some great stories about Sinatra, etc in Vegas in the 60s.

He was great. They want him on again when they go to satellite, so he can tell the raunchier stories. He said he's waiting for 2 more people to die before a book he wrote gets published.

I can imagine the thought process.  "Hey, Johnny Cash won Grammys with his covers of modern music.  I can do the same."

The difference is this:  Johnny Cash was cool; Paul Anka isn't.

Didn't Pat Boone try something similar?

353337[/snapback]

Cash's cover of NIN's "hurt" is amazing.

I have not heard the latest Anka stuff, but I really enjoy this kind of genre shift.

Has anyone heard of Richard Cheese??? He has a lounge sound, but does Offspring (Come out and play), Mystikal (Shake your ass), Prodigy, and many more. Great stuff.

Another genre shifter of note is Hayseed Dixie, an as$-kickin' bluegrass band that does AC-DC, Snoop Dogg, among others. Fabulous stuff.

Has anyone heard of Richard Cheese??? He has a lounge sound, but does Offspring (Come out and play), Mystikal (Shake your ass), Prodigy, and many more. Great stuff.

Ah, Dick Cheese. He does a version of U2's "Bullet the Blue Sky" (which BTW is the best U2 song ever) which is pretty funny in a Weird Al sort of way.