DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Agree, but the point I think some of us are making is that not many successful proven OCs are footloose and fancy free at the moment (because usually really good OCs are on playoff teams), and those who are free or are becoming available after this weekend likely going to be picked over first by the teams that just fired their HCs. 

There are other avenues: if there is a toxic situation under one head coach, or a fired head coach (Reich) or assistant (Brady), or a retread, or some college mind that blows you away.

But because of the insane demand to get the next Shannahan or McVay you are seeing OCs get chances to run teams they are not ready for and they are snatched up way too soon. We can look, and we should, but I temper my expectations that we'll find someone who can present a better plan than someone who has actually worked and had success with the players we have right now.

I agree, and it is why I do think Brady will be the OC next year.  The team is now 6-1 since he was named interim OC and he hasn't really been able to install "his" offense yet.  So as long as the offense just doesn't completely crap the bed in the playoffs, I think its more likely he is back as OC.

But when I say he hasn't earned it yet...well for example if we are upset and lose to the Steelers because the offense struggles and costs us the game, then I think his job is definitely not safe.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree, and it is why I do think Brady will be the OC next year.  The team is now 6-1 since he was named interim OC and he hasn't really been able to install "his" offense yet.  So as long as the offense just doesn't completely crap the bed in the playoffs, I think its more likely he is back as OC.

But when I say he hasn't earned it yet...well for example if we are upset and lose to the Steelers because the offense struggles and costs us the game, then I think his job is definitely not safe.  

Definitely. If he completely wets the bed and looks unprepared against a less talented but well coached and disciplined squad that has focused on limiting points then obviously he's not getting a free pass. 

That said, while he's mostly running Dorsey's playbook, I feel like his game plans have been mostly sound and he targeted defense's deficiencies well overall. The Cowboys game was masterful. Josh had a bad game vs a good defense with NE, but that appears to be on execution. In the Chargers and Dolphins game the offense moved the ball fine, it was just bad turnovers. The Chargers game I was fine with, Brady didn't make Harty or Cook fumble, that's a player ball security issue (and we're not benching Cook). There's not much Brady can do if Wilkinson had Josh in a bear hug and rips the ball out, and Brady had Kincaid schemed open on the 4th and 2 interception.

But man, can he please stop using Gabe Davis in Red Zone situations.

55 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I think Josh would thrive in a Shanahan style offense, and I hope whoever the next coordinator is will be able to get the best out of Josh, because that's what it's all about at this point. I just don't think the offense we currently have suits Josh the best.

I don't. It is a paint by numbers scheme. You have to execute the reads perfectly and play in structure. It is not a scheme friendly to out of structure players. He wouldn't suck in it, he is too good, but it wouldn't show him to best effect.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't. It is a paint by numbers scheme. You have to execute the reads perfectly and play in structure. It is not a scheme friendly to out of structure players. He wouldn't suck in it, he is too good, but it wouldn't show him to best effect.

I guess I'm getting tired of all the mistakes on option routes. Plus we can't seem to bring in a free agent that can hit the ground running. Maybe Brady has something different in his past, but if Josh has solid reads (none of the I thought you were going to zig instead of zag) and then gets off schedule it seems to me like that's the best of both worlds. This playoff run might be special, but I'm concerned these "miscommunications, (probably misreads is better)" are going to sink us.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.