The Good, The Bad, The Ugly TNF Bucs edition

Chaos

Lost in all of the nitpickiness on this board is that NFL football isn’t about style points. No one has to impress the AP writers.  Just win every game by 1 point and it’s all good.  The Bills have really struggled in one score games. Now it’s been two home games in a row that have been ugly at times, the other team had the ball at the end, and Buffalo won. Bravo.

The Good

1. Shakir and Kincaid performing well balanced out the offense. Davis also having a good game was a welcome sight. The top 4 receiving options being Diggs-Kincaid-Davis-Shakir with Knox being the 5th option when he comes back is very good. 
  2. The defense played well, and overall a solid effort from the defense. 
  3. Poona Ford had a decent game, I know the Bucs offensive line is more of a pass-protecting line but Ford looked like a decent player which was good. 
  4. Josh Allen looked closer to his old self but still didn't play recklessly. 
  5. No major injuries and a win going into a "mini-bye" push-off hitting the panic button for a while. The Bills not sustaining major injuries and then getting a longer time to heal will hopefully help for the next 4 games before the full bye. 
  6. Pass rush looked alive much better defensive line effort, Von even flashed a bit which is progress. 
  7. Sam Martin and the ST unit had a good game for the most part.

The Bad

1. Martin had a really solid game constantly putting Tampa down deep but that last punt being a touchback really gave the Bucs a shot at a hail mary. Just bad execution at the worst moment, not the worst as it is much better than a block or a shank but pinning them 10 yards or more back would have made a difference. 
  2. Von's Offside just before the hail mary attempt while an aggressive mistake was very frustrating all yards add up. 

The Ugly

1. Phillips facemask - could have effectively iced the game but instead kept Tampa alive
  2. That last play of Q3. Why up 14 on a 2nd and 1 would you try to snap the ball? That led to a sack and instead of allowing the Bills to take 40 more seconds off the clock to start the quarter. Just a bad play that almost cost them the game. 
  3. Taron's penalty - ticky tack call but just another frustrating play that kept Tampa in it. 
  4. Josh's INT - A weird play that kept Tampa in the game in the first half. 
  5. 4th and goal failure - Could have gotten the offense a lot of momentum. The Bills made a good call but Tampa executed well on defense.

22 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Jordan Phillips being an absolute ***** idiot. If we didn't need DTs, I'd bench him or cut him RIGHT ***** NOW!!  And then hang up. 

I am not generally a reactionary or a "cut to make a statement" guy. But I'd cut Jordan Phillips. His play has been basically awful and he just overall lacks discipline. He lacks it in his rush lanes and he lacks it in key moments. That facemask cannot happen. 

I'd cut him. Put Eli Ankou on the roster. I think their play levels are much of a muchness. Phillips is living off his one career year in 2019.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The ugly

Getting cute on the half inch line by lining up in shotgun and running Murray for a loss instead of just butt shoving it into the EZ. 

That series was even more awful given that the Bucs were without Vita Vea on Thursday, a fact that the announcers, to my knowledge, never bothered to mention.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/27/2023 at 9:42 AM, zow2 said:

The ugly:  Josh is our best player but he just cannot stop giving the ball to the other team.  We have to factor that in every game and hope the D can bail em out.

Josh Allen's one turnover was not the problem last night. Not even close. Are you saying you would not sign up for a 3:1 TD/INT ratio every single game? That's 51 TD's to 17 turnovers played over a full season. 

On 10/27/2023 at 8:19 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

The ugly

Getting cute on the half inch line by lining up in shotgun and running Murray for a loss instead of just butt shoving it into the EZ. 

Jordan Phillips being an absolute ***** idiot. If we didn't need DTs, I'd bench him or cut him RIGHT ***** NOW!!  And then hang up. 

The thing is, we don’t even need to “tush push”. Allen is very good at the traditional (Tom Brady style) QB sneak.  

No need to get cute, just get the TD and move on.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/27/2023 at 9:17 AM, FireChans said:

There’s a large correlation between a lack of stars on defense and our inability to close out games on defense.

It’s not that we are chokers. It’s that our defense is full of average NFL talent.

Not on the D. Offense should have closed out the game and not punt it back. Great teams and

QBs wouldn't have given the ball back. Our offense cannot close games out, give the ball back for white knuckle time repeatedly. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.