Bernard/Williams >>> Edmunds/Milano by the end of the regular season

Big Turk

13 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, he was great in zone defense. I'm pretty sure the stats have shown that throughout his career.

I'd be interested in seeing those stats. I don't wish to carry with me a false conclusion about Edmunds' play, which I found to be average, at best, over the course of his career in Buffalo. The lack of impact plays is the most oft-cited and legitimately stat-based criticism. I've heard others suggest his height and wingspan deterred passes into his zones, but is that quantifiable? 

Don't see it. Maybe a year or two down the road.

Losing DaQuan in particular will make it tougher. He was playing at a level this year we haven't seen from a DT in a long time. And that makes it much easier on the LBs.

But the young guys really are playing well so far.

Remember when they - in particular Bernard - were both huge draft mistakes according to many on these boards?

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'd be interested in seeing those stats. I don't wish to carry with me a false conclusion about Edmunds' play, which I found to be average, at best, over the course of his career in Buffalo. The lack of impact plays is the most oft-cited and legitimately stat-based criticism. I've heard others suggest his height and wingspan deterred passes into his zones, but is that quantifiable? 

Don't know where it can be easily quantified, without massive amounts of play-by-play work anyway, but it was visible, and not just to the naked eye.

When you go to New Gen Stats and look at the pass distribution charts of opposing QBs against the Bills there just were very few passes thrown against the Bills to the middle between about 6 or 7 yards out to about 20. That pattern lasted throughout the Edmunds years. Compared to other teams a lot fewer. I looked at a ton of those from about 2019 to 2021.

It was there. It was easy to see. 

As an example of one of these charts if you haven't seen them before, here is Trevor Lawrence's chart from two weeks ago against us:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/single/pass/team/2023/5/trevor-lawrence/LAW514099

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Then go look up the stats and watch the film studies by Cover1 and the like while Edmunds was playing here. Zone defense was the one thing practically universally agreed he was good at.

I don't want to dunk on Edmunds,  but, he just seemed to be that really big kid that didn't want to hurt a smaller kid. Also seemed to lack that intensity or "Dog" in him.

With Bernard,  he just seems like he is jacked up and wants to hit something/someone.  He also seems to be a communicator. Always moving around, pointing to things, like he sees what's going on and makes sure others see it as well. A little "Froggie" and ready to jump, almost fearless. 

As to Williams (My Guy!😁), I didn't/wouldn't think he would come in and outplay a Milano. Replacing an all pro is not easy, but I really like what I've seen so far. Could he? possibly. But let's not get ahead of our ski's. Just hold the Fort and gain some experience. We can have a better conversation later as to the better tandems. 

Today will be a good test for our LB'S and I'll be watching closely. 🫣

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

But DID he really? That's the narrative, but it isn't supported by anything other than repetition. Can it be quantified at all? 

Joe Marino did a podcast on it last year. I think completion % in the middle of the field was really low.  But overall not worth the salary he got and Bernard offers abilities they desire more

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.