Why do they never use a 3rd LB?

cgg716

I understand nickel is our base D, but how many times must one get shredded on the ground before you change it up sometimes? Or even just read a situation? Clappy calling his NBA time outs last night to act like he's making changes, winds up with 5"11 Johnson on 6"6 Waller, just lucky they didn't call the penalty. The lack of adjustments and awareness is mind numbingĀ 

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 7

1 minute ago, cgg716 said:

I understand nickel is our base D, but how many times must one get shredded on the ground before you change it up sometimes? Or even just read a situation? Clappy calling his NBA time outs last night to act like he's making changes, winds up with 5"11 Johnson on 6"6 Waller, just lucky they didn't call the penalty. The lack of adjustments and awareness is mind numbingĀ 

I love that you complained about getting shredded on the ground, then complained about Taron Johnson in coverage (despite TJ being the Bills leading tackler).Ā  Oh yeah, let's just throw out that 6'5" LB on the team who is great in coverage and against the run, why didn't McD think of that?

Ā 

There were 1 million valid things to complain about, and you missed them all.Ā  Excellent work.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Because McClappy thinks he is smarter than other coaches and thinks speed and quickness is the most important thing with a defense. Then gets ran all over when it matters most. We didnā€™t deserve to win last night. It was more about the Giants absolutely sucking vs the Bills playing well.Ā 

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 2

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I love that you complained about getting shredded on the ground, then complained about Taron Johnson in coverage (despite TJ being the Bills leading tackler).Ā  Oh yeah, let's just throw out that 6'5" LB on the team who is great in coverage and against the run, why didn't McD think of that?

Ā 

There were 1 million valid things to complain about, and you missed them all.Ā  Excellent work.

If your best tackler in the second level is 5'11 and 196, that might be why you're getting shredded. I get that the D is small by choice, but some of it is beyond dumb. Team will continue to be held back by absolutely dreadful philosophy and in game coachingĀ 

Edited by cgg716
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4

Outside of 2 plays that gained 56 yards and only resulted in a FG, we held Barkley to 37 yards on 22 carries (1.7avg). And then shut that trap play down with a LB adjustment, and the RBs didnt gain a single yard the rest of the game.

Ā 

We didnt get shredded, and the defense isnt the problem.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

If your best tackler in the second level is 5'11 and 196, that might be why you're getting shredded. I get that the D is small by choice, but some of it is beyond dumb. Team will continue to be held back by absolutely dreadful philosophy and in game coachingĀ 

Your solution is more Tyrel Dodson?

Ā 

I can't believe we got shredded yesterday allowing 9 points and 0/4 in the red zone. Good take again lmao.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Your solution is more Tyrel Dodson?

Ā 

I can't believe we got shredded yesterday allowing 9 points and 0/4 in the red zone. Good take again lmao.

Congratulations we stopped Tyrod and his usfl crew, who still moved the ball pretty effectively. I'm sure he'll be the January matchup, it's fineĀ 

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Outside of 2 plays that gained 56 yards and only resulted in a FG, we held Barkley to 37 yards on 22 carries (1.7avg). And then shut that trap play down with a LB adjustment, and the RBs didnt gain a single yard the rest of the game.

Ā 

People say this every year, then we play the heavyweights and get mauled, same warning signs are here, except this time it's even worseĀ 

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

Ā 

Same as when the sky was falling after losing to the Steelers in preseason.Ā  We got "shredded" by a team that did the bulk of their damage on 2 plays in short order, and Jack all the rest of the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

Relatedā€¦watched the highlights today and saw Siran Neal in on the giants final drive, blitzing on 2 plays. Wonder what was going on there.Ā 

Neal came in for Dime packages I believe. NYG weren't going to be running once they were out of timeouts, they had too far to go

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My theory:Ā  Because they've never had three that are above-average starters ever since Lorax retired.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Again, just a theory.Ā  But look at our roster for LBs from 2020 - 2022 and ask yourself which three would you start?Ā Ā 

Ā 

That's why they run this goofy defense that no one else runs.Ā  I get that it's a passing league and we need to be able to stop the pass, but you cannot do that at the expense of the run.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

5 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Congratulations we stopped Tyrod and his usfl crew, who still moved the ball pretty effectively. I'm sure he'll be the January matchup, it's fineĀ 

People say this every year, then we play the heavyweights and get mauled, same warning signs are here, except this time it's even worseĀ 

Ā 

Agreed.Ā  And seriously, this "they only had two big plays, one for a TD and the other setting one up, otherwise they didn't do anything" thing, ... really?Ā  LOLĀ Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

So did we stop them or did we get shredded?

Ā 

You are spinning off the planet right now. Just log off bro.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

My theory:Ā  Because they've never had three that are above-average starters ever since Lorax retired.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Again, just a theory.Ā  But look at our roster for LBs from 2020 - 2022 and ask yourself which three would you start?Ā Ā 

Ā 

That's why they run this goofy defense that no one else runs.Ā  I get that it's a passing league and we need to be able to stop the pass, but you cannot do that at the expense of the run.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

An idea then, get one, instead of 7 rotating DTs lol

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

But that is the EXACT trade off you make in this passing league. You absolutely allow some runs in order to shut down the pass.

Ā 

Running doesnt score points, and points are the only stat that matters at the end of the game.

Ā 

We have the 6th overall Defense, we are 5th in fewest points allowed, but like 26th in rushing yards allowed. Down there right above the Jets and their heralded defense as well.

Ā 

Stopping the pass wins games.

Ā 

Our Defense isnt the problem.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

So did we stop them or did we get shredded?

Ā 

You are spinning off the planet right now. Just log off bro.

Happens EVERY year. EVERY year, the defense is USELESS. Despite all the capital poured in and a defensive coach. And people in here are like, look at the offense. You mean the one with no resources and the one that just waits for Allen and Diggs to make it happen. Your offense problems are 100 percent a philosophical choice by McBean. And the defense has never once backed up that choice. Generational talent wasted on a bad coach

• Disagree 1

An idea then, get one, instead of 7 rotating DTs lol

Ā 

You're preaching to the choir.Ā  But criticizing the one that conducts our drafts is frowned upon here.Ā  LOLĀ Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Our Defense isnt the problem.

Ā 

In the playoffs it's been the problem.Ā Ā 

Ā 

13-Seconds comes to mind.Ā  For sure an offense that put up 36 regulation points wasn't the problem.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, cgg716 said:

Happens EVERY year. EVERY year, the defense is USELESS. Despite all the capital poured in and a defensive coach. And people in here are like, look at the offense. You mean the one with no resources and the one that just waits for Allen and Diggs to make it happen. Your offense problems are 100 percent a philosophical choice by McBean. And the defense has never once backed up that choice. Generational talent wasted on a bad coach

Did we stop them or did we get shredded?

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Ā 

To be fair, I think he's more talking about how this would have looked against the chiefs in the playoffs if they played like this.Ā 

Ā 

I think he's missing the point that you're not likely beating the chiefs if you score 14 points

Edited by HardyBoy

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Agreed.Ā  And seriously, this "they only had two big plays, one for a TD and the other setting one up, otherwise they didn't do anything" thing, ... really?Ā  LOLĀ Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Dont misquote me and then make stuff up.

Ā 

They had two big runs, scored no points on either of the runs, and only netted a field goal off those plays. The rest of the game was 22 att for 37 yards.

Ā 

Funny you have to stretch to such falsehoods to try to establish your point. They didnt even score 1 TD all night, let alone 2.

Ā 

Lame.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HardyBoy said:

Ā 

To be fair, I think he's more talking about how this would have looked against the chiefs in the playoffs if they played like this.Ā 

Ā 

I think he's missing the point that you're not likely beating the chiefs of you score 14 points

Like I said, there are a million valid criticism and he's flailing trying to land on one.

Ā 

Not everyone is built for TBD life.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HardyBoy said:

What are your thoughts on Skip Bayless?Ā 

Ā 

I have none.Ā  I know he's a talking head for one of the sports networks.Ā  Don't know which one.Ā  I don't listen to any of that stuff.Ā  I used to listen to some stuff on GR years ago but stopped that too.Ā Ā 

Ā 

There's way too much content today for more than a small fraction of it to be original or worth listening to or viewing.Ā  I prefer to do my own research, work, etc.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I'm so out of touch with sports media.Ā  Half the time I'll even turn the volume down on games and listen on GR even though the sound is significantly out of sync with the video.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Why are you asking?Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

31 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Ā 

Clearly you no not like Coach McD from nickname and it slants your view.

It was not completely luck for Waller has his hands on Johnson a lot to get into position.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

Dont misquote me and then make stuff up.

Ā 

They had two big runs, scored no points on either of the runs, and only netted a field goal off those plays. The rest of the game was 22 att for 37 yards.

Ā 

Funny you have to stretch to such falsehoods to try to establish your point. They didnt even score 1 TD all night, let alone 2.

Ā 

Lame.

Ā 

Easy there chief!Ā Ā 

Ā 

I was referring to generally speaking, I (truly) didn't mean to point you out.Ā  A bunch of people have said that kinda thing.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

You tell me, ran a 9 play drive with 2 huge runs in the 4th behind the worst oline in the league. Than a 13 play drive where the refs were the defensive mvp

Ā 

How many points they get on both those drives combined?

Ā 

edit to the bold: The same refs that gave the Giants an extra untimed down from the 1 yard line? Yeah, they were really working in our favor.

Ā 

This thread is ludicrous.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Ā 

Clearly you no not like Coach McD from nickname and it slants your view.

It was not completely luck for Waller has his hands on Johnson a lot to get into position.

Johnson shouldn't be covering him. SimpleĀ 

• Disagree 1

Just now, cgg716 said:

You tell me, ran a 9 play drive with 2 huge runs in the 4th behind the worst oline in the league. Than a 13 play drive where the refs were the defensive mvp

No, you tell me. Because you complained we got shredded. Then I told you the Giants scored 9 points and were 0/4 in the RZ, and you said "good job stopping Taylor and the USFL crew."

Ā 

Ā 

Are games decided by how many plays you have in a drive? Someone should let ESPN know the Giants had a 9 play drive and update those standings lmao.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No, you tell me. Because you complained we got shredded. Then I told you the Giants scored 9 points and were 0/4 in the RZ, and you said "good job stopping Taylor and the USFL crew."

Ā 

Ā 

Are games decided by how many plays you have in a drive? Someone should let ESPN know the Giants had a 9 play drive and update those standings lmao.

I actually never said they got shredded LAST night, merely that this ***** defense routinely does when it counts and has never adjusted to that.

Ā 

HOWEVER, one could certainly surmise that giving up 60 yards on the ground in about 30 seconds, right after your admittedly struggling offense gives you a lead, just might be a same ***** different day scenarioĀ 

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Ā 

I have none.Ā  I know he's a talking head for one of the sports networks.Ā  Don't know which one.Ā  I don't listen to any of that stuff.Ā  I used to listen to some stuff on GR years ago but stopped that too.Ā Ā 

Ā 

There's way too much content today for more than a small fraction of it to be original or worth listening to or viewing.Ā  I prefer to do my own research, work, etc.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I'm so out of touch with sports media.Ā  Half the time I'll even turn the volume down on games and listen on GR even though the sound is significantly out of sync with the video.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Why are you asking?Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It's more that he just says stuff that sounds kinda informed, but it's really just hot takes with no actual factual basis most of the time. Have you listened to truly informed football people giving their nuanced takes based on watching the all22 and their in depth knowledge of the team and nfl football at a scheme and strategic level or is this based on the broadcast or things other people are saying or calling in on their phones.Ā 

Ā 

Don't listen to skip Bayless either, I'm not at all suggesting you do! And you fan however you want, I'm just suggesting this is likely a very complex and nuanced subject and there are a lot of answers claiming it is very simple... that's a red flag

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

What other imaginary things are we picturing tonight?

Find this thread come January. And then again in March and April when every off-season move we make goes on defense because this will finally be the year that works lol

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

Ā 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ā 

back-pedal-bike.gif

This is borderline abuse at this point.

2 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Find this thread come January. And then again in March and April when every off-season move we make goes on defense because this will finally be the year that works lol

I'm going to delete this thread from my memory because it is a potent virus capable of destroying brain cells.

Edited by FireChans

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.