Kellen Winslow Sr. - Blaming The Media Again

I'm up early today and watching ESPN news. Kellen Sr. is being interviewed by several media members and blaming them for giving his kid a bad name. Snapping at every question concerning his son in a very aggressive manner. " Don't read the newspaper, don't watch T.V " is the advice he's giving his son.

Sr. was so bitter during contract negotiations with the Browns last season, even though he just should have said nothing and let the Poston Brothers handle the negotiations. Played the race card more than a few times, which made little sense considering his son was going to receive a huge contract due to his draft position.

Young Winslow did take a beating in the press over the last couple of weeks but I can't help but think his fathers will/bitterness has been pounded into his brain for the last 20 years. Unless this kid distances himself from his father, I see nothing positive coming out of his career, if it's not already too late.

Reminds me a little of the old Jimmy Piersall story. A good baseball player who's father literally drove him insane.

Todd Maranovich & father as well.

Taking his key from Barry Bonds. Just as how he denies taking steroids, KW and KWII would have denied the motorcycle stunts until the cows come home. Until the surveillance tape proved otherwise; then they were forced to admit it. The thing with PR today is to lie straight-faced until, when the truth is found out 10 years later, there's nothing that can be done about it, the story is out of the public conciousness, and he's too rich to care. Reporting the truth is no longer a protection.

I remember when they required all agents who wanted to represent KW II to pay a non refundable $2500 fee for the right to speak to him. As soon as the NFL got wind of it and informed them it was illegal all monies were refunded to the agents.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2075672

The whole " Piece Of Property " angle. This isn't about his son at all. It's all about his old issues with the NFL from his playing days. Unfortunately, he doesn't see using his son as a pawn to be a big deal.

350994[/snapback]

I never regarded him as a piece of property. I was thinking of him as a piece of schit.

I wonder how long it will be before the Browns reclaim their piece of property - that suitcase filled with $10,000,000.00 in $100.00 bills. Maybe Friggin' Dork Senior is most mad about that. He can't blame Friggin' Dork Junior because then he would be a racist.

Young Winslow did take a beating in the press over the last couple of weeks but I can't help but think his fathers will/bitterness has been pounded into his brain for the last 20 years. Unless this kid distances himself from his father, I see nothing positive coming out of his career, if it's not already too late.

350984[/snapback]

Winslow took a bigger beating from his motorcycle than the press in the last couple of weeks. Daddy Winslow would do well to remember that...

Todd Maranovich & father as well.

Taking his key from Barry Bonds. Just as how he denies taking steroids, KW and KWII would have denied the motorcycle stunts until the cows come home. Until the surveillance tape proved otherwise; then they were forced to admit it. The thing with PR today is to lie straight-faced until, when the truth is found out 10 years later, there's nothing that can be done about it, the story is out of the public conciousness, and he's too rich to care. Reporting the truth is no longer a protection.

350989[/snapback]

Well said!

I am glad sports is the only place this happens.

:lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2075672

The whole " Piece Of Property " angle. This isn't about his son at all. It's all about his old issues with the NFL from his playing days. Unfortunately, he doesn't see using his son as a pawn to be a big deal.

350994[/snapback]

I think he is just standing up for his son like most parents would. In public. Privately, I bet it's a different matter. I've seen Winslow Jr. and Sr. together in interview situations before and you could tell that Sr. was embarrassed by some things Jr. would say and that the kid was just going to do it his way.

Sr. was a stand-up guy and a class act as an NFL player. I don't think having a son in the NFL turned him into an a-hole. I think having an immature, hard-headed son has forced him to put himself between his son and the spotlight.

If you treat your kid like someone who can do no wrong, how is it someone else's fault when they turn out to be an immature brat?

351207[/snapback]

It's not. But as it pertains to the Winslows, you are just assuming that's what happened. When a family member does something like Jr. did, smart families don't come out publicly critical of their loved ones.

There is nothing to gain by that.

The media has been relentlessly attacking Jr. for weeks now. The horse is dead, enough already. The story has life for one simple reason: people want to see Winslow have to return his bonus money. I do to. But that's between the Browns and their player

It's not.  But as it pertains to the Winslows, you are just assuming that's what happened.  When a family member does something like Jr. did, smart families don't come out publicly critical of their loved ones. 

There is nothing to gain by that.

The media has been relentlessly attacking Jr. for weeks now.  The horse is dead, enough already.  The story has life for one simple reason: people want to see Winslow have to return his bonus money.  I do to.  But that's between the Browns and their player

351228[/snapback]

Funny. I come from a family where if someone crashes in the bushes while being a jackass on their motorcycle, they would say, "We love you, but that was pretty fuggin' stupid." In a better world, people wouldn't out and out lie and grasp at every possible excuse in defense of a jackass just b/c s/he is family.

Your earlier description of KW Sr being different in private? You've gotta be kidding.

Funny. I come from a family where if someone crashes in the bushes while being a jackass on their motorcycle, they would say, "We love you, but that was pretty fuggin' stupid." In a better world, people wouldn't out and out lie and grasp at every possible excuse in defense of a jackass just b/c s/he is family.

Your earlier description of KW Sr being different in private? You've gotta be kidding.

351235[/snapback]

Exactly. While Sr was a hell of a player, Sr's running his mouth is simply providing more and more evidence as to whom Jr gets his stupidity from.

351235[/snapback]

And what makes you think that Winslow Sr. didn't tell him that it was a dumb thing to do? Like I said, I had seen Sr. and Jr. together in interviews before Jr. ever entered the NFL, and you could clearly see that Sr. disagreed with the way Jr. carried himself. He was clearly aware that the kid was digging a hole for himself, but some people have to learn the hard way because they won't listen to anyone. But there is nothing to gain by PUBLICLY chastising your son. By challenging the media, Sr. certainly deflected criticism to himself, which is quite possibly what he intended in making his comments(which weren't exactly scathing).

As for Sr. being different in private, no I'm not kidding. What kind of ignorant question is that? Look, it's easy to jump on the popular side of an argument, say some dumb sh*t like you did in your reply and act like you crapped a golden answer(like you so often believe).

Exactly.  While Sr was a hell of a player, Sr's running his mouth is simply providing more and more evidence as to whom Jr gets his stupidity from.

351240[/snapback]

Are you sure you meant "exactly"? If so, do you get your stupidity from your mother or father?

And what makes you think that Winslow Sr. didn't tell him that it was a dumb thing to do?  Like I said, I had seen Sr. and Jr. together in interviews before Jr. ever entered the NFL, and you could clearly see that Sr. disagreed with the way Jr. carried himself.  He was clearly aware that the kid was digging a hole for himself,  but some people have to learn the hard way because they won't listen to anyone.  But there is nothing to gain by PUBLICLY chastising your son.  By challenging the media, Sr. certainly deflected criticism to himself, which is quite possibly what he intended in making his comments(which weren't exactly scathing).

As for Sr. being different in private, no I'm not kidding.  What kind of ignorant question is that?  Look, it's easy to jump on the popular side of an argument, say some dumb sh*t like you did in your reply and act like you crapped a golden answer(like you so often believe).

351259[/snapback]

I will give you that Sr. was a great player in his day, but class act? This man has been playing the race card, long before Johnny Cochran played it with OJ. I wonder how Sr. feels about recent comments made by Bill Cosby who has come full circle and has placed the problems of blacks today squarely at thier own feet?