Kellen Winslow Sr. - Blaming The Media Again

Are you sure you meant "exactly"?  If so, do you get your stupidity from your mother or father?

351261[/snapback]

Yes, I mean "exactly." It was Sr who wouldn't let Jr to the University of Washington because Sr was pulling the race card BS. It was Sr who was wanting charge prospective agents non-refundable money just to talk to his son. Jr is a product of his father in more ways than one.

Didnt Daddy Winslow have him transfer to Miami so more black coaches could coach jr?

351149[/snapback]

Actually, if I remember correctly, SR. was embarassed as hell, because he went around to all the media outlets, and declared that his son would be playing at a black college. At the last second, JR went a signed a letter of intent to play in Miami. SR was less than thrilled with his sons' decision. SR was very much an advocate of more black players signing with black college programs, to increase their profile on the college sports radar! I am thinking that Winslow SR wanted his son to play with Mississippi!

And what makes you think that Winslow Sr. didn't tell him that it was a dumb thing to do?  Like I said, I had seen Sr. and Jr. together in interviews before Jr. ever entered the NFL, and you could clearly see that Sr. disagreed with the way Jr. carried himself.  He was clearly aware that the kid was digging a hole for himself,  but some people have to learn the hard way because they won't listen to anyone.  But there is nothing to gain by PUBLICLY chastising your son.  By challenging the media, Sr. certainly deflected criticism to himself, which is quite possibly what he intended in making his comments(which weren't exactly scathing).

As for Sr. being different in private, no I'm not kidding.  What kind of ignorant question is that?  Look, it's easy to jump on the popular side of an argument, say some dumb sh*t like you did in your reply and act like you crapped a golden answer(like you so often believe).

351259[/snapback]

What makes you think he did, contrary to all of the coverage? You know better? From the time he was drafted to the current incident showed Sr. to be just as big a schmuck as Jr. If there were any semblence that Sr. thought his son was being an ass, it would be out there. The reporters know a lot more information than what is put in their articles, but that perspective does resonate in how they write about the relationship. I know a lot of people who do publicly chastize family members for doing something stupid, while still making it apparent that they love said person and that hopefully, s/he'll learn from the experience.

Doing what Sr. did makes him look stupid. The apple didn't fall far from the tree in this regard. The popular side of the argument is often popular b/c it's more or less true.

Like I crapped a golden answer? <_< I don't know who you think I am (nor, who you think you are speaking to me like that) but... whatever.

Actually I just saw the Winslow Sr. interview on ESPN and I can honestly say that I don't think he was wrong in what he said. All he said was that his 21 year old son made a mistake and that the media has turned it into a circus. He's right on both counts. Whether he's got an axe to grind or not, he's being honest in this case.

Like I crapped a golden answer?  :lol:  I don't know who you think I am (nor, who you think you are speaking to me like that) but... whatever.

351609[/snapback]

I can honestly say, in all the years I've been posting here or on the D&C board, I have never seen anyone tell someone else here that they are too good to be communicated to in a negative manner. Who do I think I am speaking to YOU like that? I don't know or care who you are, but I am positive that as far as asssholz go, you are a bigger one than both Winslow's combined! Get a grip tough guy.

:w00t:

Yes, I mean "exactly."  It was Sr who wouldn't let Jr to the University of Washington because Sr was pulling the race card BS.  It was Sr who was wanting charge prospective agents non-refundable money just to talk to his son.  Jr is a product of his father in more ways than one.

351386[/snapback]

You guys need to get your recruiting story straight. I do feel bad when agents are being taken advantage of though. I mean, $2500 for the opportunity to possibly earn a multi-million dollar commission. I'm no Mark Hammister, but that seems like a big cash outlay for such a small potential return. :w00t:

Sounds to me like you just crapped a golden answer.

WOO-HOO! How many days to the opener Badol?

:w00t:

You guys need to get your recruiting story straight.  I do feel bad when agents are being taken advantage of though.  I mean, $2500 for the opportunity to possibly earn a multi-million dollar commission.  I'm no Mark Hammister, but that seems like a big cash outlay for such a small potential return. :lol:

352524[/snapback]

You guys need to get your recruiting story straight.  I do feel bad when agents are being taken advantage of though.  I mean, $2500 for the opportunity to possibly earn a multi-million dollar commission.  I'm no Mark Hammister, but that seems like a big cash outlay for such a small potential return. :w00t:

352524[/snapback]

Oh pray tell what aspect of recruiting do I not have straight?

Back when Jr was looking at schools, his three choices where:

1. Washington

2. Miami

3. Michigan St.

Jr wanted to go to Washington. Sr had a problem because Washington was too white for his liking? Do a google search, you'll find many articles to back that up.

The problem with the agents paying for the privelage to talk to Jr is that it's against NFL rules! Go look that up too.

As for Jr., he made his mistakes and must endure the fallout. I don't like much of what he has said and done. He could use a public relations makeover. Better yet he could grow up.

And as for Sr., much of what he said in the recent outburst I agree with. I would fight for my son also. Jr. is very young and immature. The media has found a target that is in large part good for ratings and sales. Has anything related to Jr. become part of a media circus? I think so.

Look around at many 21 year olds and one will see a lot of immaturity. I screwed up a lot at 21 and beyond. Would I like my screwups of today and yesterday to constantly be overanalyzed by the press? No way.

And when is the media wrong? When is the media going overboard? The media acts like it has some special right to hassle whoever, whenever with no limits. I don't care what the athletes or other celebrities make, there is a point where the media themselves display immaturity and foolishness by hammering at the insignificant as a way to create news or add life to a story, especially when there is a scarcity of meaningful stories. If it is a slow newsday (which it is for the NFL right now) the medai will create a story or beat an existing headline to it's death. Whether I was Jr. or Sr., I wouldn't go overboard in accomodating the media. I would simply do my job, whether it be player or father.

Actually, if I remember correctly, SR. was embarassed as hell, because he went around to all the media outlets, and declared that his son would be playing at a black college.  At the last second, JR went a signed a letter of intent to play in Miami.  SR was less than thrilled with his sons' decision.  SR was very much an advocate of more black players signing with black college programs, to increase their profile on the college sports radar!  I am thinking that Winslow SR wanted his son to play with Mississippi!

351593[/snapback]

Not a "black college", he wanted him playing for a black head coach. His feeling was that unless black athletes support black head coaches they would not be successful, and foster more black head coaches. Not bad thinking really. His kid showed him what was important though when he signed with the U.