Reader's Digest names Buffalo the "nicest place in America"

JÂy RÛßeÒ

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Whenever I come back up to WNY (a handful of times a year) it is noticeable how much more standoffish people are relative to the south.  In Texas people are over the top "nice" to strangers and regularly strike up conversation, even when I'm trying my hardest to look like a miserable ####### (not very hard for me).  It strikes me as saccharine and artificial but that is the outward presentation to the world.  They may not be very nice people at all if I got to know them.  WNY is a smaller community so people stay in their circles or cliques and generally leave strangers alone in most contexts.  They may be the most generous or kindest people on earth but that is not the first impression you get.

Try parking on the side of the highway next time with your hazards on and see how many people stop within 15 minutes to offer help.  I have been late to work more times than I have fingers on one hand from that.

38 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Try parking on the side of the highway next time with your hazards on and see how many people stop within 15 minutes to offer help.  I have been late to work more times than I have fingers on one hand from that.

And I believe I told you, one more lame excuse as to why you can't get to work on time and you're fired.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

And I believe I told you, one more lame excuse as to why you can't get to work on time and you're fired.  

hahahahaha, usually they just give you a knowing nod and a smile.

Being remote for the last 3+ years now hasn't given me as much opportunity for this to happen lately tho...

Edited by Big Turk

10 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

It is superficial in the South

i prefer a place where even if people are standoffish at first at least you know who you are dealing with instead of the fake-nice passive aggressive southerners 

honestly having lived here in WNY for most of my life I think we are more Midwest types than classic North East anyway

Having lived in WNY, Mass, Florida, GA, SC & Cali - it can be superficial anywhere depending on who you choose to hang with. 

I would agree that WNY folks tend to be more Midwestern than New England-like.

As far as folks helping on the side of the road, it's more a sign of the times. Next to no one hitchhikes anymore nor will people stop out of fear of it being a setup, cell phones, AAA, etc.

Edited by Seventeen

10 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

It is superficial in the South

i prefer a place where even if people are standoffish at first at least you know who you are dealing with instead of the fake-nice passive aggressive southerners 

honestly having lived here in WNY for most of my life I think we are more Midwest types than classic North East anyway

Yup...when they say to your face "Bless Your Heart", it isn't meant to be sweet and endearing like they are saying it...they are basically giving you the middle finger to your face with a smile and telling you to fvck off.  And the amount of stuff said behind people's back down there is off the chains...they will literally act like your best friend to your face and as soon as you are gone will trash talk the hell out of you to everyone else there.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yup...when they say to your face "Bless Your Heart", it isn't meant to be sweet and endearing like they are saying it...they are basically giving you the middle finger to your face with a smile and telling you to fvck off.  And the amount of stuff said behind people's back down there is off the chains...they will literally act like your best friend to your face and as soon as you are gone will trash talk the hell out of you to everyone else there.

What is the WNY equivalent to "Bless Your Heart" ? 

On 9/19/2023 at 6:05 PM, Limeaid said:

https://www.rd.com/article/damar-hamlin-thank-you-buffalo/

Buffalo does have beaches on Lake Erie - Hamburg and Angola among others. 

I was teaching ESL at UB during the summer and one of my students from Africa said she loved going to the beach during summer.  I told her that Hamburg had one and requires a permit for parking but nothing prevents you from taking a bus there.  She said in her French accented voice "Bus system too difficult for me" so I told her I could take her next weekend.  

We took multiple buses and walked down to the beach.  After going into the water she said "too cold!" and she lied on the beach.  I told her to put on some sunscreen but she said "Africa sun hotter".  After a couple hours reading she fell asleep.

I woke her later telling her we needed to catch the bus back.   She put on her hooded cloak and stood up and yelled "My feet hurt!" and fell back onto the blanket.  While her skin was very, very dark her feet weren't and they were sunburned badly. I packed up the gear and told her I'd carry her to the bus stop. I carried her on my back while I carried our gear in my arms.  

We heard a few comments on the buses about us being a "cute couple" but I ignored them.  Once we got to the campus I was able to get security to help her to her room.  

beach.jpg.d5fe29cb2716b66b602e24c703aa506e.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.