Coy Wire CNN Article on Safety

hondo in seattle

While some players say they regret their time in the NFL because of the consequences, Ex-Bill Coy Wire says even given his injuries, "I would also never trade the time that I spent on the gridiron."

This is an interesting article that goes into the history of safety in the NFL (I didn't know 19 people died from football injuries in 1905) and spends some time discussing how Hamlin's injury - and Sean McDermott's response - changed the NFL's attitude toward serious injuries.  

Coy Wire article at CNN

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

While some players say they regret their time in the NFL because of the consequences, Ex-Bill Coy Wire says even given his injuries, "I would also never trade the time that I spent on the gridiron."

This is an interesting article that goes into the history of safety in the NFL (I didn't know 19 people died from football injuries in 1905) and spends some time discussing how Hamlin's injury - and Sean McDermott's response - changed the NFL's attitude toward serious injuries.  

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/opinion-football-is-a-dangerous-game-but-that-s-not-the-end-of-the-story/ar-AA1goAbw

Something up with the link. FYI

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/opinion-football-is-a-dangerous-game-but-that-s-not-the-end-of-the-story/ar-AA1goAbw

Yeah, I believe Roosevelt said he was going to ban the sport outright unless it was made safer. At least that's what I've read

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

I love the take by the guys that actually played above backup HS who weigh on this saying they wouldn't give it up for the world.

Everyone else who never advanced seems to always want to criticize it.

Yea my old man has early onset dementia in his 60s linked to his soccer career (he was a pro for a few years then a top semi-pro for a decade or more) and he absolutely says he would not change a minute of it and they were the best times of his life. I totally believe him too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

You know your career is over when you’re writing opinion pieces for CNN

I would suggest that being a paid writer for the world's largest news-gathering organization might be considered a career.

• Like (+1) 9

22 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Coy Wire article at CNN

this was the theme of the 8 pm Anderson cooper show Sunday night on nfl safety.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.