NFL Agent Survey from The Athletic: Beane ranks highly in several "best GM in the league" categories

Logic

22 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Seeing Lynch voted that high for talent evaluating was kind of surprising given the Trey Lance debacle.  Im sure the votes were done well before that trade, but still, a month ago that looks like an absolute train wreck.  There isnt anyone even close in worse draft day deals, EVER.  Then again these are agents, who have different motivations then most involved in the sport. Cool article though!

Not directing this directly at you, just more commenting on the over the top heat Lynch has been getting since Lance was traded.  The fans and media love to dwell on a single move as if it is an indicator of a GM's total track record even though no GM is perfect.  While fans and media have been railing on Lynch over Trey Lance, the 49ers have made 3 NFC Conference Championships in the past 4 seasons and one Super Bowl under Lynch.  And Lynch took over a bad team, this is what he built.

They enter this year as one of the SB favorites again and have one of the most talented rosters and teams in the league that Lynch built.  And even though they made a SB and 3 straight NFC Conference Championship games, this is probably their most talented roster yet.  They also found what seems to be a starting QB with the very last pick of the draft that is dubbed "Mr. Irrlevant" for a reason as it almost every case has ended up being a pick of a guy that would never do much in the NFL.

Pretty sure most teams would kill to have a GM in John Lynch miss on a QB while building one of the best teams in the NFL who have been to a SB and 3 NFC Title games the past 4 seasons.  He is legit one of the best GM's currently in the NFL.  

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have hope for Beane because I think he can learn..........but he's no personnel man and he let's agents walk all over him.   Those deficiencies have to end.   He's not a blockhead like his mentor Gettleman so I think he can learn but the criticism of him is warranted.   He's got a young QB in his prime and somehow has turned this situation into a "window".    They should be in a much more advantageous cap situation and he should have found a lot more production on the cheap than he has.    The draft is one thing.........teams miss on players all the time.........but his pro personnel work has been terrible.   And that's where the agents come in.   He really needs to hit 2-3 HR with guys like Sharty, McGovern, Sherfield, Floyd and Rapp at this point to try to gain back some ground as a personnel evaluator/negotiator.

You see, I can't understand why Beane gets the lion's share of the blame. I just don't get it. In my line of work, there was always 1 person with the most authority. There wasn't really an "open door policy," nor "rule by committee" back then but I digress. 

McDermott was hired before Beane and there is no reason to believe that Beane was not brought in by his insistence, or at least request. We all know what McDermott did in the draft before Beane even arrived in town. It was disgraceful. Our drafts have been too focused on defense and negligent of the  OL and WR positions ever since. Where are the fingers pointing at McDermott? Again, who has the final say?

What I have seen in my work life on occasion was big bosses making very dumb decisions. One was REALLY stupid and cost unnecessary injuries and bad blood. He blamed an underling, who got in trouble. I think that McDermott is doing precisely this. Would Beane have traded Boogie for next to nothing sans the approval of McDermott?  Would he be allowed to? Would Beane have traded up for Edmunds and Elam without approval (let alone encouragement) from McDermott?

What am I missing? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You see, I can't understand why Beane gets the lion's share of the blame. I just don't get it. In my line of work, there was always 1 person with the most authority. There wasn't really an "open door policy," nor "rule by committee" back then but I digress. 

McDermott was hired before Beane and there is no reason to believe that Beane was not brought in by his insistence, or at least request. We all know what McDermott did in the draft before Beane even arrived in town. It was disgraceful. Our drafts have been too focused on defense and negligent of the  OL and WR positions ever since. Where are the fingers pointing at McDermott? Again, who has the final say?

What I have seen in my work life on occasion was big bosses making very dumb decisions. One was REALLY stupid and cost unnecessary injuries and bad blood. He blamed an underling, who got in trouble. I think that McDermott is doing precisely this. Would Beane have traded Boogie for next to nothing sans the approval of McDermott?  Would he be allowed to? Would Beane have traded up for Edmunds and Elam without approval (let alone encouragement) from McDermott?

What am I missing? 

image.png.f0a7cc2659fbd9f63f3bab81b2c6bb56.png

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

What am I missing? 

I believe the decisions are collaborative but that McD has the most authority and therefore the final say if he chooses.    But I also think that McD relies on the scouts and Beane to narrow the field of prospects and pro personnel greatly and has to give them the benefit of the doubt more often than not.   So if their recommendations are poor.........the end result is poor.    Ultimately I think they are tied together and if one goes they both do.........but if only one stays it would be McD and he would choose his next GM. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

What am I missing? 

I think it was former personnel guy Mike Lombardi who was an early NFL insider with CBS who said that fans don't care about front office dynamics.  And they don't.  It's the what you can see news like draft picks, UFA signings, the game results, and maybe in-game coaching decisions most people focus on.  

That includes the organizational relationship between Beane and McDermott.  The belief is GM's picks players and coaches coach and that's why front office decision making analysis goes almost nowhere on TBD.  Of course McD is running everything...it's just out of sight, out of mind.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.