IF the 49ers would take a 4th or later for Trey Lance, would you do it?

buffaloboyinATL

Would you give up a 4th round pick or later for Trey Lance?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give up a 4th round pick or later for Trey Lance?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would give up a pick higher than 4. (explain)

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I just dont understand how last year he was good enough to start. He got hurt 2nd Q of game 2, game 1  was an absolute monsoon if im remembering right. so he hasnt really played, no matter how u slice it major, major scouting problems. No way he should be behind darnold. u cant give up what they gave up for him and not find a way to get him in the game. develop him in practice, hell, create an interesting run option package to get him on the field

It doesn't take a team very long to figure out a QB doesn't have it.  They see him in practice every day.  QBs who show that they're not good enough can get jettisoned pretty quickly.  Here are 2 examples: 1) Josh Rosen, pick 10 in 2018-Arizona knew he was a bust after 1 season and shipped him off when they could still get something back for him.  There were plenty of people who thought Miami stole him from Arizona.  He was on waivers before his 3rd season in the league because Miami saw enough of him to see he didn't have it.  2) Brian Brohm, 2nd round pick GB 2008.  Placed on waivers after preseason his 2nd year in the league. A real tell was nobody claimed him.  I still remember the optimism of Bills fans when we signed him off GB's practice squad and I was accused of hating him by the people who "saw him play in college" when I tried to tell them that the Bills management at the time wasn't going to be outsmarting the top GMs in the league who had no interest in him when GB waived him before his sophomore season. 

On 8/24/2023 at 10:13 AM, buffaloboyinATL said:

I know some here feel that backup QB is a weakness for the Bills this season.  I have no idea what the 49ers are willing to trade him for, but since he is a 3rd string QB on their roster, and they have a decent 4th QB right now, they may take less than I originally thought.  I personally would gladly trade a 4th or lower for him, because his style of play is a closer fit to Josh Allen than our current backups.

The backup QBs main job in Buffalo is to be Josh's buddy and be good in the film room.

I see our current backups checking both boxes. 

Trey Lance checks neither.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, it looks like I guessed the value correctly. Now that we have heard that the Bills made and offer, I am happy to know that Beane is looking for a better backup QB option. 

I want Josh Allen to have a competent backup, like Jim Kelly had Frank Reich. I’m not saying Lance is that guy, but we may have been able to develop him into it.  

29 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Well, it looks like I guessed the value correctly. Now that we have heard that the Bills made and offer, I am happy to know that Beane is looking for a better backup QB option. 

I want Josh Allen to have a competent backup, like Jim Kelly had Frank Reich. I’m not saying Lance is that guy, but we may have been able to develop him into it.  

I'm glad that Beane isn't happen with Kyle Allen.  I'm also glad he got outbid for Lance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They'll never be another Frank Reich situation. Reich didn't start a game until his 5th season.  There wasn't unrestricted free agency until Reich's 9th year in the league-he left 2 years later. Ironically, the Bills could have lost Reich in plan B free agency before the 1989 season.  He was exposed and could have been signed by any other team, but since he was a totally unknown quantity until the Rams game in 1989, nobody signed him-there were rumors that the Chargers were interested but they never signed him.  

It would be very hard to develop Lance as a long term backup.  He gets paid over $5 million next year & then will be a free agent and he, like Reich before 1989, has virtually no NFL resume.  If he develops he leaves, if he doesn't you've taken a relatively big cap hit for a guy not worth keeping.    

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.