Cap space

Matt_In_NH

On 8/24/2023 at 7:35 AM, Matt_In_NH said:

If you want to solve the cap problem this year without taking from future cap, Morse is a cut target...I floated that a while back and got lambasted even though like you I figure he sticks this year.   If he was to get cut we know why.....I do wonder if they opt to keep some surprise guys over some who are schedule for a couple million to save here and there a little bit.  They don't have to and probably won't.

Morse isn't great but I wouldn't make a weak OL even weaker by cutting one of the expected starters.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Morse isn't great but I wouldn't make a weak OL even weaker by cutting one of the expected starters.  

Did you know that in last year's NFLPA All-Pro voting that is only done by the actual players, the rest of the league's Centers and DT's voted Mitch Morse as the 5th best Center in the entire NFL?

Not only does he pass my eye test with flying colors, but I'm thinking those other fellas might know just a tad bit more about it than I do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

On 8/24/2023 at 7:33 AM, BarleyNY said:

Yup. I think if Bates was playing better Morse would be out the door next week. Morse’s play has been steadily declining over the last few years, but I don’t see Bates really stepping up either. The Bills brass probably won’t want to change up Allen’s center just prior to such an important season. I think he stays one more season, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he didn’t. 

Oh, wow.  I disagree with this.  I felt his play took a dip in 2020 mid-season but came back better in 2021 and that last year was his best season in a while.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Buffalo Bills started the 2023 NFL offseason $17.7 million over the adjusted salary cap of $227.7 million. The first thing Bills’ general manager Brandon Beane did was restructure the contracts of both Josh Allen and Von Miller to open up around $32 million in cap space. Beane then followed that up by restructuring or extending the following to open up more money for the Bills to spend:

LB Matt Milano’s extension, opening up $6 million in cap space
DT Tim Settle restructures, opening up $600,000 in cap space
RB Nyheim Hines restructures, opening up $1.3 million in cap space
WR Stefon Diggs restructures, opening up $5.4 million in cap space

The Bills went on to sign guard Connor McGovern, wide receiver Deonte Harty, wide receiver Trent Sherfield, quarterback Kyle Allen, and running back Damien Harris. They were even able to retain their own in Jordan Poyer and Dane Jackson amongst others (David Quessenberry, Ike Boettger, Cam Lewis, Tyrel Dodson, Sam Martin, Tyler Matakevich).

According to Over the Cap, Buffalo currently has around $10.2 million in cap space to work with. Here are some moves that the Bills can make to free up even more money.

Restructuring offensive tackle Dion Dawkins could open $6.4 million in cap space
Extending defensive tackle DaQuan Jones could open up a potential $4.7 million in cap space
Restructuring cornerback Tre White could open up $5.9 million in cap space
Restructuring center Mitch Morse could open up $3.4 million in cap space
Extending cornerback Taron Johnson could open up a potential $4.7 million in cap space
Restructuring safety Micah Hyde could open up $4.3 million in cap space

Beane might not do any of these, and that is the most likely outcome. But, if Beane wants to make a move for a DeAndre Hopkins or Odell Beckham Jr., he does have some options in opening up more cap space in an offseason that he has crushed so far.

A lot of this info was from Over the Cap and slightly outdated because of the references to Hopkins and Odell in their cap analysis summary.

Edited by Toyo321

20 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

The Buffalo Bills started the 2023 NFL offseason $17.7 million over the adjusted salary cap of $227.7 million. The first thing Bills’ general manager Brandon Beane did was restructure the contracts of both Josh Allen and Von Miller to open up around $32 million in cap space. Beane then followed that up by restructuring or extending the following to open up more money for the Bills to spend:

LB Matt Milano’s extension, opening up $6 million in cap space
DT Tim Settle restructures, opening up $600,000 in cap space
RB Nyheim Hines restructures, opening up $1.3 million in cap space
WR Stefon Diggs restructures, opening up $5.4 million in cap space

The Bills went on to sign guard Connor McGovern, wide receiver Deonte Harty, wide receiver Trent Sherfield, quarterback Kyle Allen, and running back Damien Harris. They were even able to retain their own in Jordan Poyer and Dane Jackson amongst others (David Quessenberry, Ike Boettger, Cam Lewis, Tyrel Dodson, Sam Martin, Tyler Matakevich).

According to Over the Cap, Buffalo currently has around $10.2 million in cap space to work with. Here are some moves that the Bills can make to free up even more money.

Restructuring offensive tackle Dion Dawkins could open $6.4 million in cap space
Extending defensive tackle DaQuan Jones could open up a potential $4.7 million in cap space
Restructuring cornerback Tre White could open up $5.9 million in cap space
Restructuring center Mitch Morse could open up $3.4 million in cap space
Extending cornerback Taron Johnson could open up a potential $4.7 million in cap space
Restructuring safety Micah Hyde could open up $4.3 million in cap space

Beane might not do any of these, and that is the most likely outcome. But, if Beane wants to make a move for a DeAndre Hopkins or Odell Beckham Jr., he does have some options in opening up more cap space in an offseason that he has crushed so far.

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Looks like after all the dust settled Beane has $527k left per Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Not sure where TOYO is getting 10.2M in cap space but that is not correct  OTC has Team Cap Space at a piddly: $35,223, Spotrac has a piddly $527K.  Beane has more work to do just to maintain the existing roster.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

Bills dead cap below.....quessenbury, Barkley, Marlowe and Klein all account for 1.6M that seems kind of wasted to me.  Barkley had guarantees, its not just injury.  Oh and we still have Matt Haack on the dole!

NameCap Number

Rodger Saffold$2,000,000

Jordan Phillips$1,250,000

David Quessenberry$1,000,000

O.J. Howard$625,000

Carlos Basham Jr.$437,717

Matt Haack$350,000

Isaiah McKenzie$300,000

Dean Marlowe$252,500

Matt Barkley$235,200

Zack Moss$228,605

Matt Araiza$162,111

Luke Tenuta$114,510

A.J. Klein$100,000

TOTAL$7,467,913

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Not sure where TOYO is getting 10.2M in cap space but that is not correct  OTC has Team Cap Space at a piddly: $35,223, Spotrac has a piddly $527K.  Beane has more work to do just to maintain the existing roster.

He is talking about how much they would have if Beane made every move possible today.

It's not going to happen.  Beane will make another small move when he needs more money during the season.

53 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He is talking about how much they would have if Beane made every move possible today.

It's not going to happen.  Beane will make another small move when he needs more money during the season.

OMG that would suck.........actually not tracking, I see about 30M in proposed space based on the post after it says "According to Over the Cap, Buffalo currently has around $10.2 million in cap space to work with."

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Agree 1

Which Buffalo Bills could become or will become cap casualties?

Running back Nyheim Hines tops this list because it costs the Bills zero in dead cap money to cut him. He still has two years left on the extension he signed with the Colts which Buffalo inherited after acquiring him in a trade for Zack Moss. He is scheduled to count $4.8 million this year and $5.4 million in 2024, and there’s no way the Bills are not going to axe him now after his injury.  He is as good as gone now even after being listed on IR

26 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Running back Nyheim Hines tops this list because it costs the Bills zero in dead cap money to cut him. He still has two years left on the extension he signed with the Colts which Buffalo inherited after acquiring him in a trade for Zack Moss. He is scheduled to count $4.8 million this year and $5.4 million in 2024, and there’s no way the Bills are not going to axe him now after his injury.  He is as good as gone now even after being listed on IR

The Bills will have to negotiate an injury settlement. He won’t be net zero when the bill comes due for cutting him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

Bills dead cap below.....quessenbury, Barkley, Marlowe and Klein all account for 1.6M that seems kind of wasted to me.  Barkley had guarantees, its not just injury.  Oh and we still have Matt Haack on the dole!

NameCap Number

Rodger Saffold$2,000,000

Jordan Phillips$1,250,000

David Quessenberry$1,000,000

O.J. Howard$625,000

Carlos Basham Jr.$437,717

Matt Haack$350,000

Isaiah McKenzie$300,000

Dean Marlowe$252,500

Matt Barkley$235,200

Zack Moss$228,605

Matt Araiza$162,111

Luke Tenuta$114,510

A.J. Klein$100,000

TOTAL$7,467,913

The Bills are way below (or above, depending upon your perspective) average on dead cap.  29th in the league, meaning only the Jags, Chargers, and Bengals have less.

League average is $27.66M in dead cap.

50 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

I think your information is outdated. 

Hines renegotiated his contract with the Bills this off-season.  He counts $3.5 this season and $5.4 next season.  $1M of his $2.5M salary is guaranteed.

Hines is not on IR, he's on NFI.  That makes a difference - on NFI, the team is not obligated to pay the player his salary or any per-game bonuses, and if they wish, they can even go after a portion of his signing bonus.

I don't think the Bills are likely to do this.  Word was that the Bills offered Hines keep the bonus and we'll pay you the maximum for a PS player; his agent of course wants the full $2.5M salary and $340k per-game roster bonuses.  No word on if there's a settlement.

28 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Bills will have to negotiate an injury settlement. He won’t be net zero when the bill comes due for cutting him. 

There's no point in an injury settlement for a season-long recovery.  The negotiating point is that the team is not obligated to pay salary or per-game roster bonuses to a player injured outside the facility, even if he's working out to prepare for football (!!!).  This isn't an injury settlement, I'm not sure there's a specific term for it.

So hopefully there will be a settlement, but all we've heard so far is from Beane "we'll take care of him; we want him on the team next year" and from Hines agent a shot across the bow on Twitter (I mean X) about how some teams take care of their people.  These were both just after the injury.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The Bills are way below (or above, depending upon your perspective) average on dead cap.  29th in the league, meaning only the Jags, Chargers, and Bengals have less.

League average is $27.66M in dead cap.

I am aware of that.  My point was not amount of dead cap, my point was 1.6M guaranteed to guys not likely to make the team.  People say drop in the bucket but the bucket is empty right now.  

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Hines renegotiated his contract with the Bills this off-season.  He counts $3.5 this season and $5.4 next season.  $1M of his $2.5M salary is guaranteed.

Hines is not on IR, he's on NFI.  That makes a difference - on NFI, the team is not obligated to pay the player his salary or any per-game bonuses, and if they wish, they can even go after a portion of his signing bonus.

I don't think the Bills are likely to do this.  Word was that the Bills offered Hines keep the bonus and we'll pay you the maximum for a PS player; his agent of course wants the full $2.5M salary and $340k per-game roster bonuses.  No word on if there's a settlement.

There's no point in an injury settlement for a season-long recovery.  The negotiating point is that the team is not obligated to pay salary or per-game roster bonuses to a player injured outside the facility, even if he's working out to prepare for football (!!!).  This isn't an injury settlement, I'm not sure there's a specific term for it.

So hopefully there will be a settlement, but all we've heard so far is from Beane "we'll take care of him; we want him on the team next year" and from Hines agent a shot across the bow on Twitter (I mean X) about how some teams take care of their people.  These were both just after the injury.

I figured by now they would have split the difference.  Don't know what this will end up being and how it affects Hines next season.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Regardless of his injury and team status, he is prime to be cut due to cap space.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.